my bike is worth more dead than alive | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

my bike is worth more dead than alive

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by eotsis1, Feb 22, 2021.

1. eotsis1

eotsis1 Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2009 victory vision
    Looking at the cost of new victory parts for my aging steed is:22yikes:
    I need a right side heat shield transition piece, no longer available on polaris victory webstore. $247 if it existed. So, used it is.
    Looking at a few other items and my bike is totalled just with a few basic items..
    $330 for a headlight assembly.
    fork $1100 each.
    brake calipers $400 each
    Seat $950

2. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Imagine being able to part out a perfectly running high mileage Victory and then buying the same, or similar, bike on the used market with much fewer miles with the money you got from parting out the perfectly running one.

It's a theory but I'm not sure it would actually work out in the real world. The issue is, as always, there are much fewer parts anyone would want to purchase used plus the time and effort parting it out would likely be huge.

Take my own CCT for instance. Once you part out the trunk ($1400), lowers ($700?), heated seat ($200), forged bars ($1000), side covers ($200), fenders ($300), wheels ($200) the rest would likely go very slowly. Who wants an 80K+ mile motor/trans anyway? Come to think of it, that $4000 is perhaps more than it would ever fetch on Trade In.

Hmm, now add in the fairing, Fairing Extreme Audio kit, Saddlebag Extreme Audio Kit, Victory/Scorpio keyless ignition, nos TriOvals, painted inner fairing, multiple other hard to find Victory accessories and now we're talking more than it would ever fetch on the used market as a perfectly running bike. In theory anyway.

I better check my insurance coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eotsis1

eotsis1 Active Member

2009 victory vision
    my thoughts exactly.
    So, there's the group that would take a wreck and rebuild it. And the other group that rides it til it's dead and won't put any more money into it.
    My heat shield basically rotted off and a few other pieces are pitted. If this thing gets a 'scratch' in some 2nd party incident, it's practically totaled. I love this bike but Polaris is pricing themselves out of business....why I won't get an Indian

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    That's true about my bikes and I both.

That 10 years of bike parts sure went by quickly.

This is one reason I've been kicking around the idea of selling one and getting something different. Having two bikes with hard to find and expensive parts could really turn into PITA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    All very true but very common across everything, cars, trucks, bikes, boats, lawnmowers, ex wives, airplanes, horse / car trailers, a yard full of pink flamingos in Florida, even dead banana trees in Texas & myself included, surprised wife hadn’t offed my for the life insurance yet. Everything depreciates & becomes worth more as precious pieces for those passionate about that thing their rebuilding, is why we scour old barns & swamps for that old whatever to make it all pretty & new to us agains. The high from finding that unicorn parts better than drugs & almost feels as good as sex, ALMOST. Is what keeps us L8 at night hanging around the dark corners on the web. Classy folks have classics, ride on & on & on & on & on

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

I can't believe you brought up my dead banana trees!

Too soon man! Too soon!

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Bikesofbrads

Just seeing where ya went to school

8. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

Fifth grade was the best six years of my life. You know how cool you are when you are the only one in Jr High with a car?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. satxron

satxron Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    Unless you are broken down 1000 miles from home. The touring part will fade away and the bike night rides will become the common destinations. Owning a bike that is still in production is a lot easier than one you have to scour Ebay for parts to keep it running.

I would never part out a running motorcycle. I would just decide its worth very little in value but a million in smiles and keep it before taking it apart. But I would not take it away on vacation. :badgrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bikesofbrads

@satxron For sure, I deff agree riding / driving anything on long distance trips ya need something that has great parts availability & almost everyone can work on including yourself. Even I wouldn’t take a stock model T from coast to coast without a support vehicle in tow. The Vics basics mechanically are still easy enough 2 get, batteries, tires, circuit breakers, plugs can be found at almost any auto parts store & Polaris dealerships are a plenty but good Victory techs are not. Even brand new cars n trucks break down though so is risks with all

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Chattanooga_Mark

No sense living afraid and in fear of the ‘what ifs’. The fact is these bikes require very little above basic maintenance and could easily outlast us all.

More often than not people using the ‘ride across the country’ reason for selling are simply looking to justify their decision to move on. I’d not hesitate an instant to ride my old CCT across the country today if I had the time.

The fact is nearly everything is readily available for these bikes, just not immediately from a dealer. Same as it ever was.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Chattanooga_Mark

Or keep two to guarantee any part is immediately available without needing a dealer. Used parts can always be sourced. Even body panels on a Vision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. roadcouch

roadcouch Well-Known Member

2013 xc sunset red
    My feel is after oem runs out more aftermarket will pop up. Just a hunch on my part

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    I have a brand spanking new belt hanging in my closet I hope to not have to use anytime soon.

As I recall yeas ago everyone said (including my dealer) there is no such thing as a Brembo rebuild kit for our calipers. Well there's a place out of the UK called Powerhouse on eBay and they have kits so your hunch is correct.Of course, I felt compelled to pick up a kit to keep my belt company.

• Like Like x 1
  15. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

But at what price? I'm not a millionaire.

I don't want to cannibalize one bike for the other. That will just leave a pile of parts in the garage and I don't have the room for that.

I'm not worried about the motors at all. With the Vision its the body panels. It's easy to say they can be sourced used but can they really.... In five years? At some point I don't think that will be the case and I do not see another company producing them.

I would have no worries at all if Victory really were providing parts for 10 years like they said but that's not looking to be the case.

This is nothing I'm looking to do soon but at some point.

• Agree Agree x 2