VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok winter sucks when your new bike shows up and you don't get to ride it.

Brought her home the 13th of March. I found every excuse to ride it as much as possible. Took me 2 full days to get the mileage on but weather is still crappy.

Ok, details, black 2010 Cross Country, weather has been upper 30's to upper 40's, winds of 15-25mph and very little sun. Most of the riding was done with a full face helmet but I did brave a 10 mile in town ride with just sunglasses.

Handling on this bike is just plain fantastic(like a lighter Vision). There isn't a bike in it's class that I know of that will hang with it in the twisties or road feel. Handles the road abrasions like they are not there. A big thumbs up to the engineers.

Radio, now fully works and works extremely well. I'm no audiophile but with engine/road/wind noises volume at 10-13 you can hear plainly and clearly through the helmet. AM is good, weather band does a good job. Ipod cable and accessories are due in tomorrow so it'll be a bit before I can report on it.

Starting riding with the stock windshield. It's great for looks, ok for wind protection. I still didn't feel the buffeting that so many have complained about but there is some turbulent air that comes up from underneath. It's not enough to be unpleasant but it's there. A good set of lowers will likely take care of the wind.

I put on the factory tall windshield to see what difference it would make. Wind protection was obviously better but the line of sight for the top is not in a great spot for me but workable. Once again what wind I felt with the short was mainly from below and little from above. The tall shield took the wind from the top of the helmet.

I do have the stage 1 kit on now, the upside not one backfire did I hear. It took a good 150+ for the pipes to 'wake up' giving me a good sound. The 6 speed performs very well but if you don't shift when slowing down changing from 3rd or 4th from 10mph less requires a good kick. I did roll into once and was pleased. Reminded me close to my big bore 100" with the S&S intake. Didn't have the pull at 3k and up that the big bore did but you know there's a strong motor between your legs. I think a set of cams in this bike will make it into a beast.

Factory heated grips work extremely well, almost too well but good for what they're needed to do but I won't complain. Gauges are well laid out but I almost think I'd rather have the cruise on the left and radio controls on the right.

I don't much care for the loFUEL signal that comes on rather than telling me approximate range still. I suppose with gas sloshing around they didn't want to give false hope, but it'd be nice to see a projected range.

I did pump in 5 gallons but it took a while to get that much her. No splashing like my Kingpin had but even though I could see gas at the top of the neck, I was still able to trickle in another gallon. I kept checking to see if gas was hitting the ground but it just kept going. Put on another 60 miles to a still full tank and still showing range of 239 miles so I may have 'overfilled'. I'll report back on distance on this tank of my normal style driving.

Seating position is different than my previous Vics, it's good but will take some getting used to. Seat is very comfortable, maybe a little too soft for me, the jury is still out on that one.

Saddlebags are great and will hold plenty for trips and the occasional shopping trip. Locks are easy to work as is opening and closing the bags with one hand.

I can hardly wait for some 60-70 degree temps so that I can do a 300-400 mile day.

People interested in this bike, do not expect a more conventional looking Vision, while it shares some of the same hardware, there's little else to compare with. You will not get near the wind protection. In cooler temps like I've been riding in and windy days I'd rather have the Vision, warmer temps I'll like the Cross better.

I'm sure I'll have more to say down the line.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Nice write up!! :)

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Great write up Redpin!! Very honest giving all the pros and cons. I finally got a chance to sit on one of these bikes and it is an amazing bike. Living in AZ now as oppoesed to Chicago, you make a very interesting observation about wind protection as I'm curious to experience the Vision in all it's heated glory when the temps go above 110.
Would you say the riding comfort is the same as the Vision?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Thanks for the report Red, Very nice. I agree with the protection aspect of it. Its supposed to be in the mid 60s here on Thursday with actual sun !
Im going to try and not schedule any work if i can just to get a full first day of the year riding in.
Should be nice up by you also. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thanks for the 250 mile impressions. I'll post mine when I get my bike and get it on the road. Still impatiently waiting.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phoenix9 said:
Living in AZ now as oppoesed to Chicago, you make a very interesting observation about wind protection as I'm curious to experience the Vision in all it's heated glory when the temps go above 110.
Would you say the riding comfort is the same as the Vision?
you're going to be hot, but the lower wind deflectors if you don't have you'd better get.

Comfort is good as a Vision in every regard except for wind protection. In some ways its better, a Vision street gives you the horseshoe wind blowing in your back effect. The Cross does not do that so there are some benefits as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Thanks for the report.
I have only 150 so far but plan on at least another hundred or so this week due to the warm weather after the nor easter.
I have the cee baileys 15" shield and it makes a world of difference for me compared to the stock mid-ht shield. I don't feel any wind coming up from below and if there is it is not objectionable. Last week I set the cruise on 68, turned up the tunes and could ride out the tank. Great bike!
You'll find the IPOD has the best sound compared to radio.
ride safe.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the one thing I keep forgetting to mention, the logic for the self canceling turn signals is finally SPOT ON!!! Took them forever to get it right but it's perfect.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I've got around 280 miles on mine and pretty much agree with everything here. I think the wind protection is plenty good and I've been riding to work in the morning in 30 degree temps. If my heated grips and soft lowers ever come in, it will be perfect. Most of my riding should be in warmer temps so I would rather get a little breeze than feel like I'm riding in a cager. The one thing I'm not real thrilled with so far is the over-sensitivity of the rear brake. Call me club footed but I've skidded the rear tire twice now, once on wet roads so I'll chalk that off to me not being real familiar with the bike. However, I don't think motorcycle brakes should lock unless you're standing on them, should be able to apply a good amount of pressure for proper feel in panic stops without locking up.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

bikendad said:
I've got around 280 miles on mine and pretty much agree with everything here. I think the wind protection is plenty good and I've been riding to work in the morning in 30 degree temps. If my heated grips and soft lowers ever come in, it will be perfect. Most of my riding should be in warmer temps so I would rather get a little breeze than feel like I'm riding in a cager. The one thing I'm not real thrilled with so far is the over-sensitivity of the rear brake. Call me club footed but I've skidded the rear tire twice now, once on wet roads so I'll chalk that off to me not being real familiar with the bike. However, I don't think motorcycle brakes should lock unless you're standing on them, should be able to apply a good amount of pressure for proper feel in panic stops without locking up.
What about the front brakes? I've read in a couple magazine articles that they are a bit weak when you grab hard.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
bored76 said:
bikendad said:
What about the front brakes? I've read in a couple magazine articles that they are a bit weak when you grab hard.
I've very happy with the front brake so far, better feel to it than I expected, but I'm one to like a brake I can squeeze. I plan to take her into a big parking lot or something similar soon and really lay into them to get a better idea of what she will do.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bored76 said:
front brakes are fine, they require a little more pull than single disc Kingpin did but when you grab the handle hard they really bite.

I haven't had the chance to lock up my rear on this one but I'm very happy with the rear performance to date.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have just over 1200 miles on my black Cross Country. Every good thing you all have to say is true as far as I am concerned. Have the CB/intercom with headsets. Ipod hook up in the saddlebag. Driver and passenger backrests with the luggage rack. Put a 13inch CeeBaily windscreen on it after the first 250 miles. The buffeting around my helmet was too much with the 9inch stock. I am 5' 9", the 13inch works for me. Just orderd the soft engine guard lowers today. Love this machine. Best I have ever been on. Handles well with two up also.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
RLB19 said:
I have just over 1200 miles on my black Cross Country. Every good thing you all have to say is true as far as I am concerned. Have the CB/intercom with headsets. Ipod hook up in the saddlebag. Driver and passenger backrests with the luggage rack. Put a 13inch CeeBaily windscreen on it after the first 250 miles. The buffeting around my helmet was too much with the 9inch stock. I am 5' 9", the 13inch works for me. Just orderd the soft engine guard lowers today. Love this machine. Best I have ever been on. Handles well with two up also.
The wife and I just got back from our first longer than 5 minute 2 up ride and I have to agree, she handles like a dream with 2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.