VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to work on my Honda Shadow ACE 750 all the time, mainly for two reasons. 1 ) the bike only cost $5000 new, so a screw up wouldn't cost me dearly 2) there is SO much information out there on the web, from basic oil change tips to complete service manual procedures.

Is there anywhere out there I could purchase a service manual for a Cross Roads? I guess a phone call should be made to my local dealership, but just curious if anyone out there got a copy for themselves and find it a worthy investment.

Also, if anyone knows of any websites specific to Victory or even better Victory cross bikes that would explain the procedure for taking off mufflers. (want to get the Atom Bomb mod done)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
So far the only place to get a service manual is through your dealer and baring bootleg, illegal copies that will always be the case. I think it's a wise investment if you plan on wrenching yourself and there's nothing magic about these bikes so with the manual, a good set of tools and a decent understanding of mechanics you should be fine.

The exhaust swap is simple and is explained in the Stage 1 instructions.

1. Remove the saddle bags
  2. loosen the clamps holding the front of the exhaust to the head pipe
  3. Remove the 2 bolts supporting the rear of the exhaust to the subframe
  4. Slide the exhausts rearward to remove them
  5. Cut the straps holding the heat shields on
  6. Remove the 3 bolts holding the exhaust tip covers and remove
  7. Remove the rubber bag mounts by pulling up and forward from their slotted mount
  8. Reinstall is the reverse of removal except you need new SS hose clamps to replace the straps on the heat shields.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the super quick reply. I'm the garage right now trying to remove the pipes, but second guessed myself when I saw the straps I thought I may have to cut. Your post confirmed that I do. Assume I can get the SS straps either at a hardware or car parts store pretty quickly? Also, while I got ya around, I know this question was probably asked in other forums too, but once I get Atom Bombs put on, I know its recommended I get a fuel controller like a Power Commander V or Arlen Ness Big Shot installed. Is there any preference between one or the other? Prices seem about equal. Arlen Ness has one called Cheap Shot, which is not as slick and automated as a Big Shot. Is it worth the investment to get the upgraded (and nearly double price) big shot or power commander? If so, which is better?

Thanks again,

Drapes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assume that once I loosen everything at the font of the exhaust, cut the straps, remove the tips covers, and remove the major support bolts at the rear, the loosed exhaust may still be a ***** to actually pull off? Anything else holding it down? A little WD40 maybe?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nevermind, got it off. So, since I'm a bit ignorant on pipes and their components, once I the black tube that I yanked off my bike the actual muffler, or is it the primary heat shield behind the chrome cover, and the actual muffler inside that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.