VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started getting interested in the cross roads so I called the dealer who sold my bike to me & expressed my interest in the bike. He figured up a trade in quote & faxed it to me. It showed the price of the new bike at $16,600 and then added in the cruise ($400)that I want and the passenger back rest ($450) and labor ($47) administrative fee ($65) then he subtracted my trade in. My question is in all the research I've done the MSRP on the cross roads is $15,999 not $16,600. Is this dealer adding to the profit because the bike is new & he figures it WILL sell because of all the hooplaa (?) generated over it or is he just hoping I will not notice & pay the extra or haggle him down to the real MSRP & feel good that I did it?
I need you guys (gals) opinions on this because I,m not at all good at bargaining for new vehicles, If I don't like the price they shoot me I just don't buy.

Thanks,

Chas

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I would say he is giving you a good deal on the surface. Trades get tricky and muddy up the numbers. But atleast I don't see him charging you 1200 for delivery and 500 for assembly. Mine tried that and it didn't go far. I cant speak for the accessories but the labor he is charging for the install is more then fair. It looks like you have one of the good dealers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't know that the color would affect the price, especially since it only comes in 2 colors, yeah I want the midnight cherry. You'd think for $600 they would paint it any color you want, then you could really stand out. Oh BTW when this dealer (Jones Power Sports) sold me my Vegas they said if I traded it within 1 yr on a new model year bike they would give me my purchase price towards trade on the new bike. I didn't think much about it at the time because I didn't think there was any way I would trade within 1 yr but this may be an offer I can't refuse. What do you guys think?

Chas

·
Registered
368 Posts
yeah they charge you an extra $600 for the cherry, so the MSRP of $16,600 is correct. I also priced one. BUT....I had a dealer quote me a price $500 under MSRP, they chose to be aggressive in their sales of the new X models.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys here's an update.

Today the wife & I saw & sat on both the xr & xc and I'm not so sure I want either now. I've got a list of reasons why so here goes.

It looks to me like the engine draws its air through the frame leaving no room for an improved air filtering system, time will tell what the aftermarket will do about that or if it even needs a better one. I really didn't like how the frame around the steering neck wasn't tube steel. After all my years of seeing tube steel framed bikes these bikes just don't look right. What do you call the new frame design, cast aluminum? Just looked wrong (ugly) to me & would have to hope the aftermarket stepped up with some chrome covers to hide the ugly. I haven't liked the xc as much as the xr until today when I saw how the fairing did such a good job hiding the ugly frame.

The license plate doesn't sit flush with the fender, it stands out at the top and I just didn't like that.

The wifes impression was the rear seat was far better that the one on our Vegas (btw, it was the best seat for the Vegas at the dealership when we bought the bike, she tried them all). The rear pegs or floorboards (bike dependant) were too high for her comfort, she said she thought the pegs on our Vegas fit her body better. Then there was an issue with her getting on & off, the foot position was foreward enough that she struggled standing up before she could swing her leg over and step down. Maybe we just need to find a better way to get her on & off the bike. How do you guys passengers handle this seemingly simple task?

The next problem is financing, our current loan apr is 2.9%, to trade the rate is 7.9%. I don't have a clue how much this adds up to in the long run but it just don't seem right to me.

As a possible solution to our long ride comfort I'm thinking of trying the Mean City Cycles seat mods for both of us (sorry but I'm too stupid to figure out how to get a link to show up in this post, just google it). Then while it's gonna be a long cold winter what better time to pull the tins for different paint, that way I would never meet myself while I'm riding. I've already talked to my paint man & for a single color without any fancy designs it would cost less than the Midnight Cherry upgrade on the xr. Can you say chameleon?

Is it just me or does it seem ridiculous that the xr comes in ONLY 2 colors and one of them costs an extra $600.00?

Chas,

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

I know about the financing I am at 5.9% right now and I look to sell and upgrade my Credit union said 9.9%. I was like what but thats the way financing is these days. I can understand its hard to walk away from 2.9%.
I am sure the aftermarket will come up with something as these bikes should sell well.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Chas, forgetting financing and interest rates for now, if I was you I wouldn't buy either. If you have any doubts at all DONT buy. I bike is recreational vehicle and if doesn't jump out at you saying "buy me!" then you dont buy. Hey, it sounds like you have all winter, I would wait and see what gets your blood pumping other then your wife...

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Vision is also cast aluminum up front. As far as strength goes I have not heard of a single failure of a Vision steering head.

I think it looks better cast then all of the welding of the tubes.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not suggesting any weakness with the new frames, just stating that I prefer the look of tube steel (or aluminum if they would make it that way). I'm sure the new style saves a lot of weight.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

Chas_K said:
It looks to me like the engine draws its air through the frame leaving no room for an improved air filtering system, time will tell what the aftermarket will do about that or if it even needs a better one.
CHAS, The 2010 Vic catalog shows an UP-GRADED air filter, thats larger & flows more CFM, Than the stock one, And Its only a matter of time before LLOYDZ and S&S make some up grades.

"Then there was an issue with her getting on & off, the foot position was foreward enough that she struggled standing up before she could swing her leg over and step down. Maybe we just need to find a better way to get her on & off the bike. How do you guys passengers handle this seemingly simple task?"
My wife likes it when I straddle the bike while standing, so she can grab my shoulder & step-up andon the bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
racky said:
Chas_K said:
It looks to me like the engine draws its air through the frame leaving no room for an improved air filtering system, time will tell what the aftermarket will do about that or if it even needs a better one.
CHAS, The 2010 Vic catalog shows an UP-GRADED air filter, thats larger & flows more CFM, Than the stock one, And Its only a matter of time before LLOYDZ and S&S make some up grades.

"Then there was an issue with her getting on & off, the foot position was foreward enough that she struggled standing up before she could swing her leg over and step down. Maybe we just need to find a better way to get her on & off the bike. How do you guys passengers handle this seemingly simple task?"
My wife likes it when I straddle the bike while standing, so she can grab my shoulder & step-up andon the bike.
Yeah I get on the bike first, stand it up, hold the front brake so it don't roll and plant my feet then she grabs my shoulder, steps up, swings her leg over the sissy bar & sits down. Reverse the procedure to dismount. She'd probably get used to the new setup over time, it may have just caught her off guard, also in her defense we had just got done exercising & running before we went & her leg muscles were sore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.