VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Install was pretty simple, The adjusting however was what took the longest. I am definitely going to have to get the wind deflectors. The buffering at highway speeds is pretty ridiculous.

Hopefully i wont needs lowers. Anybody else experiance the buffeting?

i adjusted the fairing every which way to help but no dice. I went with a 6.5 spoiler windshield and its perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What i did was installed the brackets on the wing itself tight and even.

Then i installed the brackets on the fork and connected the batwing. This will be the most difficult part. So putting on brackets kinda loose was key to me.

I put brackets as high as possible on the forks and moved the signal lights as low as possible.

Once you get the batwing attached i loosened up the rubber grommets to adjust front to back and put everything where i wanted and tightened it up. It took a while to get it just right. If all tge brackets are pretty loose you can adjust the up and down. It will make sense when you do it.

i would also get a rag or tshirt to not scratch your headlight. I scratched mine.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
The Install was pretty simple, The adjusting however was what took the longest. I am definitely going to have to get the wind deflectors. The buffering at highway speeds is pretty ridiculous.

Hopefully i wont needs lowers. Anybody else experiance the buffeting?

i adjusted the fairing every which way to help but no dice. I went with a 6.5 spoiler windshield and its perfect.
Fork leg wind deflector will really help the buffeting issues. I took the full crash bar lowers off of my Cross Country tour and rode to see a friend that lives 79 miles away fro me. Even at speeds of 70 mph , the buffeting wore me out after I rode to my friends house and then rode back home. When I installed the Witch Doctor's fork leg wind deflector this made a night and day difference. I can now ride at any speed I choose to ride too,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fork leg wind deflector will really help the buffeting issues. I took the full crash bar lowers off of my Cross Country and rode to see a friend 79 miles away. Even at speeds of 70 mph , the buffeting wore me out after I rode to my friends house and then rode back home. When I installed the Witch Doctor's fork leg wind deflector this made a night and day difference. I can now ride at any speed I choose to ride too,
Do those fork deflectors fit on a Vegas 8ball?
I used to have some on a old street glide. They were wonderful.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Do those fork deflectors fit on a Vegas 8ball?
I used to have some on a old street glide. They were wonderful.
I don't know. My XCT is in the shop now so I can't measure the fork legs. If some one on this forum can measure the fork legs on his or her Cross Country and you can measure your fork legs, this will tell you if they will fit.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Yah, if that fairing has the mounts to put winglets on the lower edge of it that'll help immensely. What you gotta understand is that a fairing basically creates a 'vacuum' behind it..and nature abhors a vacuum. Since you are pushing the air up and over that low pressure spot behind it sucks air up from under, right off the road. Go down the road at like 60 or 70 then put your hand flat around your chin area and feel where the air is coming from.. if itls like every other fairing and windshield I've ever used you'll have almost straight stream of air running right up your legs to your chest and into your face.

Best thing I've ever seen to help with this are the fork leg wind deflectors.. the ones that basically run the whole length of the fork legs. I don't know if there's an equivalent for the bikes that don't have the upside down forks like the Kingpin and Cross bikes, but on those it's like magic how much cleaner the air flow is between the rider and the fairing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What windshield height did you purchase?
I am using the 6.5 spoiler. Its perfect.

Yah, if that fairing has the mounts to put winglets on the lower edge of it that'll help immensely. What you gotta understand is that a fairing basically creates a 'vacuum' behind it..and nature abhors a vacuum. Since you are pushing the air up and over that low pressure spot behind it sucks air up from under, right off the road. Go down the road at like 60 or 70 then put your hand flat around your chin area and feel where the air is coming from.. if itls like every other fairing and windshield I've ever used you'll have almost straight stream of air running right up your legs to your chest and into your face.

Best thing I've ever seen to help with this are the fork leg wind deflectors.. the ones that basically run the whole length of the fork legs. I don't know if there's an equivalent for the bikes that don't have the upside down forks like the Kingpin and Cross bikes, but on those it's like magic how much cleaner the air flow is between the rider and the fairing.
I ended up ordering the deflectors for the batwing, and you were right. it helped a lot but still let in some air. I am currently waiting for some memphis shades lowers. Im going to try this out before i get some fork deflectors. It seems like they dont make the deflectors for the vegas anywhere. Hopefully the lowers work good enough that i wont need em.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Oh I dunno.. I think they look pretty good on there..the ones I wanted are about that wide but they go all the way down the fork to the axle, tapering as they go. I can't really tell from that pic but you might try changing the deflection of the wings too.. I have a clear set that are about twice that long and about as wide on my KPT and I know if I have them set too 'flat' across the bike they make the turbulence worse, not better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I dunno.. I think they look pretty good on there..the ones I wanted are about that wide but they go all the way down the fork to the axle, tapering as they go. I can't really tell from that pic but you might try changing the deflection of the wings too.. I have a clear set that are about twice that long and about as wide on my KPT and I know if I have them set too 'flat' across the bike they make the turbulence worse, not better.
i have never put these on before so i just followed the instructions. I have seen people put them upside down. Ill give them a try this morning and see. Let the trial and error begin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.