Motorcycle Rain Gear -vs- Golf Rain Gear | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Motorcycle Rain Gear -vs- Golf Rain Gear

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by raptorjax, Aug 6, 2014.

1. raptorjax

raptorjax New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Cross Country
    I was wondering if anyone out there has really used golf rain gear for wet weather riding and if so, what did you think? The reason I ask this question is that I'll be leaving on a bike trip for a few weeks and just found out that my rain gear that I bought for riding 2 years ago has a hole in the crotch. It just so happens that I have a nice Ping rain suit that I never really use sitting in my closet. It's comfortable and definately can keep you dry in a rain storm but I'm just not sure how it will handle with 50mph winds and rain. You know, motorcycle conditions. Any thoughts?

2. saddlebag

saddlebag Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Roads

I think that of all the times I like having body armor, riding in the rain ranks among the highest. Hence, I tend to by waterproof, armored gear. Don't have to keep changing clothes between scary looking clouds either.

I reckon any waterproof material would work. My buddy uses Frog Toggs over his riding gear. He says while they keep him reasonably dry, they are hot and he melted one of the legs on his exhaust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ariesnc

Ariesnc Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Magnum
    I would have to agree with the other post. Be careful with the golf rain gear around the exhaust. Other than that it should be fine. I've never used my golf rain gear on a bike but it should work.

4. MYVIC

MYVIC Member

15 Magnum
    I carry Nelson Rigg rain gear in the saddlebag. It has kept me dry for many miles and many hours of riding in all kinds of weather.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. unbidden

unbidden Active Member

Victory Cross Country

I've used golf rain gear; it's ok for light rain and a short hop somewhere but golf gear is meant to be loose and somewhat breath-able. IOW, after a while you'll be as wet as if you were naked! In the long run you're bettor off purchasing the right equipment; trust me, I've been caught in a downpour for a 6 hour ride home in June 2 years ago. Though it was warm out, it's not warm on the bike when your wet. We had to stop several times for hot coffee just to stop shaking. ... Get the booties too.

6. UncleBob

UncleBob Active Member

2007 Victory Kingpin Tour Arlen Ness Signature model
    I recommend spending the money on a motorcycle rain suit, velco around the arms and legs. Less than ?100. Golf suit just won't cut it. Believeme, I tried, got soaked.

7. Greatvision

Greatvision Member

Victory vision 2009
    I have Harley rain gear.... Best I've found. I'll tell you harley can't make a motorcycle but the cloths are great. Spend the $150 and be done with it.

8. raptorjax

raptorjax New Member

Victory Cross Country

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Looks like motorcycle rain gear is the way to go. I went ahead and ordered a set of Tourmaster rain pants. May not be the best out there but they should help keep me dry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

I wear Moto rain gear now - well, not a rain suit per se, but good waterproof moto gear. But I have worn my Footjoy rain suit and it worked quite well!

10. Sonic

Sonic Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country. Sunset red and silver
    I have just returned from a bike meet in the Alps this weekend. I have a two piece set of golf rain gear made by Driza-Bone.
    We got drenched on the way back but the golf gear worked very well. I have a one piece rain suit that works well but is a pain in the arse to get in to so I find the golf jacket and trousers is a good alternative.

11. AVGJOE4

AVGJOE4 Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country, 1998 Honda Superhawk
    We got caught in the rain on our way from Ohio to Wisconsin last week. I bought a Frog Toggs set for under $30 at Rural King. It was lightweight and did the job.

12. wspollack

wspollack Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Country Tour
    It's funny that you mention that. I've been wearing a DryJoys / Footjoy waterproof golf top for, oh, at least half a dozen years now, on the bike. It's an older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/DryJoys-Shirt-Cobalt-Medium-FootJoy/dp/B00EOWWBCA

When necessary, to ward off windchill or when it's raining, I wear this underneath a mesh motorcycle jacket. That's a mesh jacket on the high-quality side of things, with armor in the shoulders and elbows. And I replaced the foam back pad that came with the mesh jacket with a $50 CE-certified back pad that fits in that slot. I mention all this to show that I'm reasonably concerned with safety.

I wear the mesh jacket all the time -- hot or cold -- and pack the golf shirt and a heated liner (and overpants, packed or worn); I may or may not wear the golf shirt over the heated liner (but underneath the jacket), depending on how cold it is. In any case, this combination packs down way small -- if you're not actually wearing stuff at the time -- when you're on multi-day trips. The shirt and the heated liner pack down to almost nothing. And you're covered for any temperature range. I wrote an article on this system about two years ago for webBikeWorld, here (and it got a lot of comments, with alternative suggestions):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/motorcycle-touring-outfit/

A lot of mesh jackets are sold with their own waterproof liners, but i like the golf shirt because I can also wear it off the bike, and because it can be pulled very low, if necessary, almost below my butt. That shirt is expensive, but as I say I've had it for years. And I pack it -- for rain wear and evenings with a little chill -- on non-bike out-of-town trips, too.

13. Trout

Trout Well-Known Member

2013 XCT, 1989 Guzzi Mille GT, 2001 Guzzi Jackal, 2013 Guzzi Griso
    Still dressing in layers & wearing water proofed leathers.
    Cotton, Wool, Leathers.
    Good from mid 20's to low trip digits, warm & dry or cool as needed & only takes a couple of minutes to add or subtract layers.

14. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Moderator

vision 08
    get motorcycle rain gear that has the exhaust protective leg gens
    other stuff will melt to pipes

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dirtydan69

Dirtydan69 Active Member

Victory cross country Trike
    Frog Toggs. Hands down the best rain gear especially for the price.