VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there has really used golf rain gear for wet weather riding and if so, what did you think? The reason I ask this question is that I'll be leaving on a bike trip for a few weeks and just found out that my rain gear that I bought for riding 2 years ago has a hole in the crotch. It just so happens that I have a nice Ping rain suit that I never really use sitting in my closet. It's comfortable and definately can keep you dry in a rain storm but I'm just not sure how it will handle with 50mph winds and rain. You know, motorcycle conditions. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts

raptorjax said:
I was wondering if anyone out there has really used golf rain gear for wet weather riding and if so, what did you think? The reason I ask this question is that I'll be leaving on a bike trip for a few weeks and just found out that my rain gear that I bought for riding 2 years ago has a hole in the crotch. It just so happens that I have a nice Ping rain suit that I never really use sitting in my closet. It's comfortable and definately can keep you dry in a rain storm but I'm just not sure how it will handle with 50mph winds and rain. You know, motorcycle conditions. Any thoughts?
I think that of all the times I like having body armor, riding in the rain ranks among the highest. Hence, I tend to by waterproof, armored gear. Don't have to keep changing clothes between scary looking clouds either.

I reckon any waterproof material would work. My buddy uses Frog Toggs over his riding gear. He says while they keep him reasonably dry, they are hot and he melted one of the legs on his exhaust.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I would have to agree with the other post. Be careful with the golf rain gear around the exhaust. Other than that it should be fine. I've never used my golf rain gear on a bike but it should work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I carry Nelson Rigg rain gear in the saddlebag. It has kept me dry for many miles and many hours of riding in all kinds of weather.

·
Registered
685 Posts

I've used golf rain gear; it's ok for light rain and a short hop somewhere but golf gear is meant to be loose and somewhat breath-able. IOW, after a while you'll be as wet as if you were naked! In the long run you're bettor off purchasing the right equipment; trust me, I've been caught in a downpour for a 6 hour ride home in June 2 years ago. Though it was warm out, it's not warm on the bike when your wet. We had to stop several times for hot coffee just to stop shaking. ... Get the booties too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Looks like motorcycle rain gear is the way to go. I went ahead and ordered a set of Tourmaster rain pants. May not be the best out there but they should help keep me dry.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts

I wear Moto rain gear now - well, not a rain suit per se, but good waterproof moto gear. But I have worn my Footjoy rain suit and it worked quite well!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have just returned from a bike meet in the Alps this weekend. I have a two piece set of golf rain gear made by Driza-Bone.
We got drenched on the way back but the golf gear worked very well. I have a one piece rain suit that works well but is a pain in the arse to get in to so I find the golf jacket and trousers is a good alternative.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
We got caught in the rain on our way from Ohio to Wisconsin last week. I bought a Frog Toggs set for under $30 at Rural King. It was lightweight and did the job.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's funny that you mention that. I've been wearing a DryJoys / Footjoy waterproof golf top for, oh, at least half a dozen years now, on the bike. It's an older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/DryJoys-Shirt-Cobalt-Medium-FootJoy/dp/B00EOWWBCA

When necessary, to ward off windchill or when it's raining, I wear this underneath a mesh motorcycle jacket. That's a mesh jacket on the high-quality side of things, with armor in the shoulders and elbows. And I replaced the foam back pad that came with the mesh jacket with a $50 CE-certified back pad that fits in that slot. I mention all this to show that I'm reasonably concerned with safety.

I wear the mesh jacket all the time -- hot or cold -- and pack the golf shirt and a heated liner (and overpants, packed or worn); I may or may not wear the golf shirt over the heated liner (but underneath the jacket), depending on how cold it is. In any case, this combination packs down way small -- if you're not actually wearing stuff at the time -- when you're on multi-day trips. The shirt and the heated liner pack down to almost nothing. And you're covered for any temperature range. I wrote an article on this system about two years ago for webBikeWorld, here (and it got a lot of comments, with alternative suggestions):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/motorcycle-touring-outfit/

A lot of mesh jackets are sold with their own waterproof liners, but i like the golf shirt because I can also wear it off the bike, and because it can be pulled very low, if necessary, almost below my butt. That shirt is expensive, but as I say I've had it for years. And I pack it -- for rain wear and evenings with a little chill -- on non-bike out-of-town trips, too.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Still dressing in layers & wearing water proofed leathers.
Cotton, Wool, Leathers.
Good from mid 20's to low trip digits, warm & dry or cool as needed & only takes a couple of minutes to add or subtract layers.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Frog Toggs. Hands down the best rain gear especially for the price.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The nice thing about Frog Toggs is that they are designed to breathe. Some rain gear will keep you dry but won't let air in our out and you may end up sweating a lot which would cause you to get wet on the INSIDE of the rain gear!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a frog toggs jacket and mine doesn't seem to breath at all! If I have it on for any length of time, I'm darn near as wet as I would've been in the rain!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've learned a lesson,Last September I left my house here in S.E Pa. for a weekend drunkfest in Maine with old Paratrooper Brothers.Left a 7:30 in the morning called the wife at 5:30 that evening from the Poconos lol.Got caught in Noahs Ark rain stuck on a highway pulling my trailer for 4 hours.I have the up-grade Hogg Toggs and have RedWing waterproof boots with old fashioned dollar store golashes.Let me say everything works ....for awhile! If you want to stay dry go to a Boat store! The rain gear won't breath but if you get wet you are drowning.Oh and as far as gloves never have found a pair that work for extended periods can you say platex dish gloves?

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
The 2 best pieces of Rain gear I have today are my Aerostich Transit 2 leathers and my Joe Rocket Ballistic 8 Jacket backed up by Olympia Ranger 3 pants. You will be hard pressed to find a better riding suit anywhere than the Transit 2 leathers. I have had them for years and they are still my default travel suit. It's expensive but it's worth every penny.

The Rocket Ballistic 8 jacket is also a marvel - I have been in some intense downpours in this jacket and have never gotten wet. Remarkable considering it's a non-Gore-Tex product. The Ballistic pants on the other hand - a complete let down! I am still mystified by the fact that Rocket never made a true companion to the jacket - but I did find a good alternative in the Ranger 3's. These are a solid pant for sure. All of these things of course have been armored up with level 2 armor.

As good as these things are, they can be trouble if you have to wear them in hot rains - which I don't often. The Rocket is better in this scenario as it has a great venting system. This is where the DryJoys excel. So for hot rain, DryJoys with a Bon Armor base layer will work well. You can use a base layer as well to get added cold protection. I really dig the new materials today and use them.

Gloves are the wild card here and usually an area of frustration, especially in cold/wet conditions. I have come to really respect Gore-Tex for gloves. It just works for me. Lots of choices here, but I have had the best luck with Held and REV'IT! gloves. I will carry 2 pair of the same model and rotate, because frankly it sucks to come in wet and then have to put on a soggy glove in the morning!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.