Motorcycle Jump Starter | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Motorcycle Jump Starter

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Chattanooga_Mark, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    One of the bikes at the clubhouse tonight had as completely dead battery when we were getting ready to leave. No one had a jump starter but someone did have regular jumper cables and the bike (H-D) was able to get going again by using a pickup truck. Yes, I know, care must be taken when using a car or truck to jump a motorcycle and care was taken.

I’ve wanted to keep a jump starter in a saddlebag for years but never I bought one. A quick look on Amazon returned dozens of options that were all about the same except for the Amp rating. Similar results were found on YouTube.

But one brand I did find, Scosche, has a 700 amp unit that looks nice. One of the things I like about it is they also offer a Quick Connect kit that has a cable that attaches directly to the bikes battery with a pigtail that then connects directly to the Scosche unit instead of using the alligator style clamps.

One of the cables in that kit also allows the battery pigtail to connect to a standard Battery Tender pigtail. Therefore, I could have a cable connected directly to my battery so, if needed, I wouldn’t need to remove the CCT front cover to gain access to the battery to use the Scosche unit.

The second cable in the Quick Connect kit is an adapter that connects the Scosche battery pigtail to a standard Battery Tender connector. So when home and in the garage I could still use my Battery Tender either into the 12VDC outlet on the fairing, or I could connect it to the Scosche battery pigtail.

I’m not sure connecting the standard alligator clamps to the battery terminals on a Victory Cross bike would be easy to get to even with the front cover removed. Besides, if you need a jump starter, the less you have to remove from the bike the better.

What jump starters have you used that work well with the small battery connections on your motorcycle?

2. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    I acquired a 400amp several years ago and it is handy...

3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I'm not sure this will start our bikes even with a larger fuse in the cable.

You can connect the red cable to the battery side of the Starter solenoid and ground to a bolt.

I used an Anti-gravety jump pack to start a JP half a dozen times on a 600 mile day trip a few years back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    I have always carried a small pair of motorcycle jumper cables in the tool pouch I keep in the saddlebag. I've used them three different times over the years hooked up just like you described. Fairly easy hooking to the starter solenoid.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jasperboy

Jasperboy Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Vision Tour, 2015 Victory Gunner
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ByteN2it

ByteN2it Well-Known Member

'99 V92C & '09 Vision
    I have home made jumper cables in both bikes kits. I just use basic lamp electric cord cut about 10’-12’ & solder red/black alligator clips on one end with a battery tender connection on the other end. I always make sure the rescue vehicle is not running & just jump it to a good battery, that’s usually all it takes to turn over a bike. They pack up very small & I have used them a few times.
    Homemade motorcycle jumper cables step-by-step walkthru

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. snobnd

snobnd Well-Known Member

victory magnum
    Yesterday’s ride I stopped in the commuter lot, When we went to go leave my 2016 magnum just didn’t want to start, original battery so more than likely that needs to be changed…. It was a nice day but it sucked knowing I might not be able to get it started again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Check your cables. I just replaced my 8yr old battery that still tests good . Negative cable wasn't even finger tight. :wall:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Chattanooga_Mark

Great post, thank you! I’ve never had a no start due to dead battery issue. Your jumper cable set works great for your bike or anyone’s that has the Battery Tender connection. For others, a jumper pack or a cord with clips on both ends should work fine.

10. Chattanooga_Mark

Did your Magnum end up starting under its own power or with help?

11. Chattanooga_Mark

Here’s a link to the video I found on the Scocshe unit. Yes, I know, the guy should of left the Negative terminal disconnected while he connected the Positive terminal. Oh well, he’s certainly no technician in this video. But I like the idea of using the Scosche connector hard wired to my battery and still being able to trickle charge my battery with my Battery tender.

I’d prefer not to jump someone’s dead battery from my bike which is why I like the idea of having a battery pack available in the first place. In last nights case, my brother had to remove his passenger seat to then remove his drivers seat to then gain access to the battery under the seat. If it were my bike and I had the Scosche unit, all I’d have to do is connect to the Scosche pack because i'd have their pigtail connected to my battery. No muss, no fuss, no tools needed, easy as can be for my bike. For anyone else's bike, at least I'd have a jump pack available for them to use. I like that in a clubhouse parking lot. Or wherever it would be needed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  12. snobnd

snobnd Well-Known Member

victory magnum
    I was able to get it started but it was not without issues and definitely not a strong start as I was used to!

I know these bikes are finicky when they don’t have a full charge so checking the connections will be my first step but it is a five year old battery!

13. Chattanooga_Mark

I figured this would happen, I talked myself right into it. I just ordered the Scosche 700A unit as well as their Quick Connect kit. I’ll post a follow up once they come in and I’ve had a chance to check them out.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    I bought a compact battery booster good for boosting a V-6 up to 4 litres at Costco a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snobnd

snobnd Well-Known Member

victory magnum
    The ground was not as tight as I would have liked, but since it’s the original battery that came with the motorcycle I replaced it…. twice

Oh yeah you read it correctly I torque that SOB down so much I destroyed the lead terminal, I picked up a NAPA battery with the extra warranty but I use the original bolts for the old battery and let’s just say they might have been a little bit longer, allegedly.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2