VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my renewal yesterday and for the first time, took a read. The paragraph below is interesting. I understand that any added accessories onto the stock bike won't be covered under the normal insurance policy. But I didn't give a thought to engine mods requiring coverage. I suppose it is under the same umbrella as added safety chrome and paint. The insurance company would need to be informed of the mods including the cost of them which would push up the price of the policy but give complete coverage.

View attachment 513491

Reactions: jedi-mcfly

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Yep.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ditto yep

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
I have a add on to my policy that covers mods. You can pick the dollar amount so mine is not much, maybe $3K if I remember correctly. I also have uninsured and under-insured added to my policy because of the huge number on people driving illegally around me. It does increase the amount but $60something a month for two big Visions I think is pretty good.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a add on to my policy that covers mods. You can pick the dollar amount so mine is not much, maybe $3K if I remember correctly. I also have uninsured and under-insured added to my policy because of the huge number on people driving illegally around me. It does increase the amount but $60something a month for two big Visions I think is pretty good.
My insurance is with Markel for a 2013 XCT and a 2007 V star 1300 full coverage is only $300 per year with all needed additional insurance.they reduce the price if you have no claims.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I think it just depends on how heavily populated your area is on the price per month. Mine was $ like 21 a month full coverage but I was in more rural. My dad's was more city like and he had almost the exact same bike and his was like $30 a month.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
My insurance is with Markel for a 2013 XCT and a 2007 V star 1300 full coverage is only $300 per year with all needed additional insurance.they reduce the price if you have no claims.
That's great and hope to be there one day.

I'm sure the difference is age and area. I live in Harris County Texas which has a huge population and a ton of wrecks, and illegals committing an endless amount of FSGIs. (Fail to Stop and Give Information.)

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... and illegals committing an endless amount of FSGIs. (Fail to Stop and Give Information.)
AKA - Hit and Runs.

When a comment like "full coverage" is stated, that's open to a lot of speculation. Amount of liability insurance? Collision and comprehensive deductible amounts? My bike carries $2M liability with $1000 deductible on both collision and comprehensive (tip over or wilful damage). Fire and theft is included.

Up here in Canada, we don't have civil court juries who deliver $50M settlements for ruined Calvin Klein jeans!

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
AKA - Hit and Runs.

When a comment like "full coverage" is stated, that's open to a lot of speculation. Amount of liability insurance? Collision and comprehensive deductible amounts? My bike carries $2M liability with $1000 deductible on both collision and comprehensive (tip over or wilful damage). Fire and theft is included.

Up here in Canada, we don't have civil court juries who deliver $50M settlements for ruined Calvin Klein jeans!
Yep. The lady that smacked me and screwed my back had a $30K policy. Well the three pain injections I got were $9.5K each. There goes her policy. On top of that I had two MRIs, X-ray, therapy, chiropractor, and now my chronic pain. Guess those things will not be getting compensation.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
@1stVictory : Thanks for your post, it prompted me to read over my entire policy (Allstate). I ended up making some small changes that increased my premium about $5 a month for the riding season. I'll drop all of what I added later this year when the Kingpin goes into hibernation again.

My towing was way too light. Only covered $50 each incident. For less than a buck a month it's now up to $250 per tow and includes if I run out of gas they'll bring some to me. I've been towed twice and each time it cost me at least $200 each time. I don't know why I didn't increase it before. Also, when I head out to the Smoky's in June I'm adding rental reimbursement @ $3 for the one month and get up to $150 per day rental. Finally, for about a buck a month I added $15K death indemnity (cash to throw me in a box) and $15K disability income. Dropped my collision / comprehensive deductibles down from $250 to $100 too.

$5 a month for a little piece of mind isn't a bad deal. Total yearly premium is now $280 but I drop coverage way down when I have the bike in my garage over the winter. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
@1stVictory : Thanks for your post, it prompted me to read over my entire policy (Allstate). I ended up making some small changes that increased my premium about $5 a month for the riding season. I'll drop all of what I added later this year when the Kingpin goes into hibernation again.

My towing was way too light. Only covered $50 each incident. For less than a buck a month it's now up to $250 per tow and includes if I run out of gas they'll bring some to me. I've been towed twice and each time it cost me at least $200 each time. I don't know why I didn't increase it before. Also, when I head out to the Smoky's in June I'm adding rental reimbursement @ $3 for the one month and get up to $150 per day rental. Finally, for about a buck a month I added $15K death indemnity (cash to throw me in a box) and $15K disability income. Dropped my collision / comprehensive deductibles down from $250 to $100 too.

$5 a month for a little piece of mind isn't a bad deal. Total yearly premium is now $280 but I drop coverage way down when I have the bike in my garage over the winter. Thanks again.
I have roadside assistance too. Good piece of mind, especially for the wife. So far I've always been able to rescue her but it only takes once so I feel better having it. I used my tow a couple years ago in a bad flat. I had recently switched companies and my agent failed to add on roadside assistance. That tow cost me $160 something because of it.b when I called my agent he find he didn't add it and feel terrible. He sent me a personal check paying for the lathe majority of the tow. Nowb that's customer service. I didn't even ask for anything other than add roadside now.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@1stVictory... but I drop coverage way down when I have the bike in my garage over the winter. Thanks again.
Interesting. Up here above the 49th parallel, we can't drop bike coverage anymore. At least in Alberta. I don't know what they call it but they assign premium usage by the month. Example: April 10%, May 10%, June 20%, July 20%, Aug 20%, Sept 10% and Oct 10%. So when it's time to store the bike, the premiums have all been used up therefore no refund. But coverage is still in effect as per normal from Nov thru March. I used to be able to turn off collision and liability keeping fire and theft but that was 40 yrs ago.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
He sent me a personal check paying for the lathe majority of the tow. Now that's customer service. I didn't even ask for anything other than add roadside now.
Wow, I wasn't so lucky my first tow. I called Allstate (800#, not my agent) for a tow and they said I didn't have tow coverage. I said I've been with you for 30+ years and have had towing on every car so why the f#ck would I not on my bike? Needless to say they didn't reimburse me for jack. They were kind enough to add it on while I was stranded on the side of the road (heavy sarcasm). Very fortunately it was a short tow. It could have been much worse. I snapped my clutch cable at a traffic signal about 10 miles from home after the end of a 300 miles ride. I keep a Sav Ur Ride in my bag at all times now. Except for that time Allstate has treated me well.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Interesting. Up here above the 49th parallel, we can't drop bike coverage anymore.
My agent was very open about it. Like for the rental insurance she said just call the month before and add it then call back after the trip and cancel it. I'm kinda of surprised we can switch at will but I won't complain about it.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: walks35

·
Registered
284 Posts
I always pay for the AAA premium plan (146 a year) and don't take the extra stuff on my Ins policy. Not only is slightly cheaper, but it is good for what ever vehicles I own. I can get 4 tows a year up to 100 miles and 1 tow up to 200 miles. Gas, battery etc., all included and ZERO BS when I have called to use it. Before you re-new your policy, maybe go shop the cost difference between your Ins company coverage for these things and a AAA plan. I think I get better coverage and service for a little less than paying my Ins company.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
I always pay for the AAA premium plan (146 a year) and don't take the extra stuff on my Ins policy. Not only is slightly cheaper, but it is good for what ever vehicles I own. I can get 4 tows a year up to 100 miles and 1 tow up to 200 miles. Gas, battery etc., all included and ZERO BS when I have called to use it. Before you re-new your policy, maybe go shop the cost difference between your Ins company coverage for these things and a AAA plan. I think I get better coverage and service for a little less than paying my Ins company.
Roadside on my insurance only added a few dollars a month. I pay for a service with my truck alarm and have another roadside with them. I've thought about getting AAA too but have yet to pull the trigger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.