VOG Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a lot of deaths lately. I was reading the article and it stunned me that this many people had died. It seems most of the wrecks were not the riders fault but it does not change the outcome. You have to stay alert to stay alive. The more traffic the more danger you are in. Until the leaves fall off the trees here it will be a mad house. Please be careful.

Motorcyclist killed in hit-and-run crash in Daytona Beach

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
and it gets much worse just south of the border in Miami.........riding home from Biketoberfest yesterday and as soon as I got south of WPB, it is remarkable how much worse the cagers drive here. Daytona gets pretty wild during Bike week and Biketoberfest, think there is always some unfortunate casualties.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
245 Posts
I ride to work every day and my bike is parked right in front. When people learn that I ride they always seem to say to me "Be careful on your way home" and my usual response would be "Always do". I've changed that now to "Most riders are among the most careful people on the road, it's the cagers that need to be careful out there. You should tell them to be careful on their way home". My son had a close call on his way home from work the other day in rush hour traffic. Some idiot chick not watching in front of her came too close rear ending him. Fortunately, he knows to keep his bike in gear, he was to see the car coming too fast behind him & moved on to the shoulder just in time when the chick swerved to the right lane narrowly missing others.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I ride to work every day and my bike is parked right in front. When people learn that I ride they always seem to say to me "Be careful on your way home" and my usual response would be "Always do". I've changed that now to "Most riders are among the most careful people on the road, it's the cagers that need to be careful out there. You should tell them to be careful on their way home". My son had a close call on his way home from work the other day in rush hour traffic. Some idiot chick not watching in front of her came too close rear ending him. Fortunately, he knows to keep his bike in gear, he was to see the car coming too fast behind him & moved on to the shoulder just in time when the chick swerved to the right lane narrowly missing others.
That's a mouth full more to say upon leaving, I just say yep.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Bunch O O.F.'s can't drive. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sadly this happens .. I agree be careful out there .. This was Biketoberfest at Daytona and that makes for a whole lot of Bikes ..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Another article about motorcyclist that I found to be true. I have seen riders get a permit and they had no clue on how to really ride a bike. Since I have gotten older I am not the rider I used to be but my brain keeps getting me into trouble. Or I should say lack of not having a brain.

The perils of nostalgia: Older motorcyclists most likely to die in crashes
The article would have been more informative if it shed light on what fraction of older divers are of the "nostalgic kind" (empty nesters and others that return to riding after a prolonged absence). Otherwise all it says is that older riders make up a large segment of today's demographics and therefore (duh) they are involved in more accidents including fatalities. Such sloppy reasoning was applied in the past to younger riders whose share of motorcycle fatalities had decreased. Well, that's because there were fewer of them in the riding population. Normalizing for that, the stats folks found that they were still over-represented in accidents.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The article would have been more informative if it shed light on what fraction of older divers are of the "nostalgic kind" (empty nesters and others that return to riding after a prolonged absence). Otherwise all it says is that older riders make up a large segment of today's demographics and therefore (duh) they are involved in more accidents including fatalities. Such sloppy reasoning was applied in the past to younger riders whose share of motorcycle fatalities had decreased. Well, that's because there were fewer of them in the riding population. Normalizing for that, the stats folks found that they were still over-represented in accidents.
You're expecting too much from the journalists we get in these modern times.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There are a whole ton of idiots here in FL. Every morning when I come in, about 2/3 of the drivers are using their phones in some fashion. Usually texting .. but either way, still distracted.

I was brought up that driving a 3000lb slab of metal was a responsibility, you pay attention to what you are doing on the road 100%, because if you didnt, you either killed yourself or someone else. I guess that lesson was lost on today's society and it is enfuriating! But, thats the "me first" mentality our culture has spawned....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here in Oregon the law Oct 1 gives u a 1000. dollar fine for having a cell phone in your hand.. Time will tell if it works. I have taken the opportunity to do a few motorcycle safety courses even tho I have been riding since my dad put me on a dirt bike at 5 years. I always get something from those classes. Always drive on the defense.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
Here in Oregon the law Oct 1 gives u a 1000. dollar fine for having a cell phone in your hand.. Time will tell if it works. I have taken the opportunity to do a few motorcycle safety courses even tho I have been riding since my dad put me on a dirt bike at 5 years. I always get something from those classes. Always drive on the defense.
I applaud the great state of Oregon for taking this bold action. The real problem is enforcement. In Kommiefornia if they tried to impose that fine (which I wish they would) it probably would not work because law enforcement does not enforce the law! I see CHP go blasting by me every day while the sh!t tard next me has her phone right out in the open just swerving and bangin away.

The law won't work if it's not enforced. I hope Oregon Law Enforcement gets behind the initiative and nails these texting turds.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
In 2012, I was in Daytona for bike week, 1 woman ran over 4 motorcycles..... And every day there was death after death....

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The real problem is that individual drivers are divorced from the consequences of their actions. 'Safer' cars protect the driver and her passengers, but do little for those outside of the bubble of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
The real problem is enforcement. In Kommiefornia if they tried to impose that fine (which I wish they would) it probably would not work because law enforcement does not enforce the law! I see CHP go blasting by me every day while the sh!t tard next me has her phone right out in the open just swerving and bangin away.The law won't work if it's not enforced.
Unless he's Deputy Fife the California State Trooper that hides up the road from stop signs in the middle of the desert that gave me and three others tickets for rolling the stop sign. I'm pretty sure if he spotted a phone with his binoculars it would be game over. lol

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
You know when those fines get imposed? After an accident.....

After an accident if the cops see a phone they take it, then they check to see if you were on the phone or texting.... Other than that, they can be sitting right next to someone at a light with the phone up on their ear, or down in their lap texting, and nothing gets done.....

When a guy I rode with ended up in a ditch, one of the first things they saw was his phone mounted in a mount on the handlebars.... They took that **** immediately, asking is if he was using it...

1 - 20 of 81 Posts