VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to let the VOG know about an upcoming event that should be quite a spectacular display of American 2-wheel history.

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/
It will be a 2 week run from coast to coast consisting of all pre-1916 motorcycles. Visit the website to get more details as there's a possibility they will be traveling through a town near you. They leave Kitty Hawk, NC on Sept 10 and will be in Santa Monica, CA by Sept 26.
They will be in Maggie Valley, NC and staying at my motel, A Holiday Motel, on Sunday, Sept 12 upon completion of Stage 3. I can't put into words how excited I am and you can be sure that I will exhaust my camera's battery as I try to document their stay in Maggie Valley.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Thanks DSJR 70
I have one last long blast to go on this year yet and was hopeing it would get close enough to me way up here in the north.
As I live all of 400 plus miles north of the Montana boarder then the 1000 plus miles to Kingman I might not make it. sure would be a treat if I can sneek away for those few days.I would love to see this piece of history .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It seems I need to learn how to install links properly.....sorry.
dsjr70 got it right, thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

poptop said:
Thanks DSJR 70
... I might not make it. sure would be a treat if I can sneek away for those few days.I would love to see this piece of history .
poptop,
it won't be the same but keep in touch with them through their website as I remember hearing from their organizors that they will be blogging their trip, I think. Also check out http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/ for more info pertaining to the run. I'm sure the actual participants will be documenting the trip and I think Wheels Through Time might have a film crew following them as well. I know for sure that I will document what happens here in Maggie Valley and I promise to post all I can on the subject here.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
In Sturgis I talked to a guy that rode his 1912 HD from Virginia. Took him almost three weeks to get half way across the country, and he arrived with a different rear cyl then he left with. Gonna take a BUNCH of work for these guys to get it done in two weeks, and I am jealous

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

As far as I know, all/most of the riders have their own support vehicle following them. Sure to bet they'll be rolling garages. Not to mention that most of those aged bikes don't even have headlights, so restrictive daytime driving is their plan. I'm interested in knowing if they'll be able to keep their 2 wk plan or not.
Hopefully any catastrophies are limited to broken bikes during this spectactular event!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I just spent a couple of hours at Wheels Through Time museum witnessing history in the making. There were approx fifteen 100 year old bikes on lifts all being wrenched on by about 40 guys. Everyone was helping each other doing whatever was needed to get these bikes running for the next leg of the run.
As of today, they've completed day 3 and 595 miles. I've taken some photos and plan on taking more tomorrow. As soon as I learn how to post the pics I'll add a few.
Stay tuned!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I did see them while at the Concord NC HD dealer. It is amazing how they can ride with these old bikes and the history they bring with them. I did see one lady also riding the event.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.