VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today is their last day, sales have been steadily dropping for them the last 2 years. Penske owned store, first class operation with AWESOME people, sorry to see them go. Got all of my Victory service and parts there the past few years.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I have a feeling it will just keep dominoing this way across the country. At some point some bean counter will say Polaris Indian is no longer viable just like they did with Victory.

Something a lot of folks have forgotten about is all the different brands of motorcycles there were in the early 1900's. Dozens! Most eventually failed due to lack of sales. Somehow HD and Indian made it until the 1950's when Indian folded.

My point is Victory isn't the first nor will it be the last to try then fold due to lack sales to continue. It's really too bad because it was such a good build. Indian was actually the superior machine when it folded too. Sometimes it's all about marketing, brand loyalty, or just math.

HD had several troubling times. One time it even sold itself to a bowling ball company to stay afloat then managed to buy itself back. Probably saying that wrong in corporate speak.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
A company that doesn't have any debt and an adequate emergency fund is much more likely to ride out the bad times.
A company, no matter how big it is, can buckle under because of debt during a downturn or market shift.
Look at Toys R us.
They were iconic but had huge debt, and now they're gone.
Toys"R"Us Liquidation & Going Out of Business FAQS

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motorcity's sales have been steadily dropping the last 2 years. Not a good sign as this was a real class operation.

Reactions: crosscountryla

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I’ve noticed their inventory online being oddly low all summer. I guess those Urals they had wouldn’t sell either. I did like the facility, but I had two closer dealers I visited more often.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've noticed their inventory online being oddly low all summer. I guess those Urals they had wouldn't sell either. I did like the facility, but I had two closer dealers I visited more often.
Ya they never ordered any 2019's. They had those Urals and the Zero electric bikes, all slow movers. With no product line to take them thru the long winter months here in Michigan and falling sales it was time to close up shop.

Reactions: crosscountryla

·
Registered
960 Posts
A company that doesn't have any debt and an adequate emergency fund is much more likely to ride out the bad times.
A company, no matter how big it is, can buckle under because of debt during a downturn or market shift.
Look at Toys R us.
They were iconic but had huge debt, and now they're gone.
Toys"R"Us Liquidation & Going Out of Business FAQS
Toys R Us was intentionally loaded with debt though

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Bike sales nationwide are way down.

Talked to manager of the Harley shop about it. The local Indian dealer is doing much better and every time I stop in (like today) bikes have sold and new ones are out.

The market is just down.
The sky isn't falling. Polaris is still making money.

·
Registered
960 Posts

Talked to manager of the Harley shop about it. The local Indian dealer is doing much better and every time I stop in (like today) bikes have sold and new ones are out.

The market is just down.
For sure. And in Canada if you're a Polaris dealer 1st, you are selling tons of atv's & snowmobiles, so you can handle an ok selling line of bikes. Indian is not primary. But if you are that Detroit dealer and that's your flagship? I can see that being a problem.

·
Registered
603 Posts

The market is just down.
You're right NOTAHARLEY. A dealership shut down. It is not the end of Indian. There is another very competetive west side dealer just half an hour away.
They were a very nice bunch of guys there. Penske is a good outfit so I suspect they will have other opportunities.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Today is their last day, sales have been steadily dropping for them the last 2 years. Penske owned store, first class operation with AWESOME people, sorry to see them go. Got all of my Victory service and parts there the past few years.
A guy I work with traveled across the state to buy a Cheiftain from them. He really put them over, as being a first class place to buy from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.