VOG Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Take a look at the, what did you do to your cross country today, thead. Another member just replaced his cam chains for a noise problem.
Thank you for this, I read the post and the follow up question from Chatanooga Mark lead to no real answers. 4 to 5 mm does not seem excessive when you have cam chain tensioners and guides to pick up the slack but the poster did state that his motor was quieter when he installed the new cam chains. The puzzling part for me is the tensioners themselves weren’t mentioned as being replaced nor the guides. Looks like I’m down another rabbit hole trying to get answers on this and trying to figure out a fix.

• Agree
Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
At just over 42,000 miles I find it hard to believe I would need cam chains. I found a set of tensioners for sale for $15 out of a 2017 gunner that was in a fire so the bike was part it out. For that price I’m going to give them a try and some thing new that I learned is the tensioners were updated. These are different than the ones that came in my bike but no Martinez says they should work. Why Victory decided to update a Cam Chain Tensioners leads me to believe that possibly the previous style was problematic? I guess we will see. If any of you get a chance to look at YouTube videos regarding Cam Chain Tensioner Holder 6601 a opinion on what you see. Again lack of information in these videos But apparently I have the same exact thing front tensioner nose slop in the sleeve rear tensioner lots of slop in the sleeve but both spring tensioner’s feel about the same so not sure if that’s an issue or not regarding the slop.

· Registered
6,637 Posts
Like in the other thread, there's been very little talk on these forums about replacing and/or adjusting the cam chains, the cam chain guides and the cam chain tensioners themselves. So many people with well over 100K miles and still so little attention has been spent on these parts.

What year did the tensioner/tensioner mechanism get updated?

· Registered
9,578 Posts
Probably not relative, but on the old Nomads the chain could actually get to a point of sawing a hole in the "motor" casing. There was no oil in this area, so all you had was a hole, but kind of annoying. Someone developed a shim of sorts that extended the tensioners to prevent this issue. Maybe a similar fix is available for the Vics??

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Like in the other thread, there's been very little talk on these forums about replacing and/or adjusting the cam chains, the cam chain guides and the cam chain tensioners themselves. So many people with well over 100K miles and still so little attention has been spent on these parts.

What year did the tensioner/tensioner mechanism get updated?
Not sure. Speaking To Noe he’s not sure either. Possibly 2014 and up. I sent him a short video much like the one on YouTube showing the sloppy rear tensioner. While there’s more play than the front one he said what matters is that the piston / plunger have good rebound. Same concept as a shock absorber. Except these tensioners can get weak and cause timing issues which is what led me to investigate my new found noise. While riding I did experience more popping between shifts and some areas in the rpms where power was not as usual…. you just know when your bike isn’t right. I will try these 2017 tensioners although used and hope they correct the issue. Being that new I doubt there was a lot of miles on that Gunner. They should be by the weeks end. I’ll keep you all posted but if there’s anymore information anyone can dig up regarding the whole chain and tensioner set up ……. I’m all ears.

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I pulled my rear tensioner on the 16 Magnum. Wow … what a distinctive difference. Besides being a beefier piece with much much hydraulic pressure at the piston / plunger it also has no slop or free play in it at all. It’s a completely different piece on the newer bikes with a larger plunger. I’m going to look up the tensioner guides on the newer models to see if there’s a difference there also. If the part numbers for year 11 and years 16/17 regarding the guides are the same then I’m good to go with the updated tensioners. Here’s to hoping the used 2017 tensioners are in good shape.

Anyone know how to download a short video on this new format ?

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Wow these tensioners arrived covered in the soot and lord knows what from this 17 gunner that was in a house fire. I’ve cleaned them up and will soak them in oil over night. They seem fine and the plungers are both equal in pressure. One has a rubber wide band O ring on it and looking at the parts fishe it’s the front one. Meaning the front cylinder on my bike still has the rubber piece in it that mates to the 2011 tensioners. I’m learning a lot here but still waiting on advice from Lloydz and Noe on these being a proper fit. Mostly because of the guides that they have to put pressure up against. I’ll keep y’all posted. Hope no one goes thru this on their bike but seeing that this part isn’t available lends me to believe it’s a common failure or Polarass doesn see the need to keep them around because the failure is not common. Only me !
I have a saying …… “ it could be raining pussies and I get hit with a Dick every time !

· Registered
4,420 Posts
have a saying …… “ it could be raining pussies and I get hit with a Dick every time !
Be sure to keep your mouth closed

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Per Lloydz and Noe the new 17 tensioners should work just remember to remove the pain in the Ass rubber piece in the front cylinder. They are in …… the bike is running like new ! Sewing machine quiet.

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Congratulations! You now have a Goldwing.
I would say the motor is definitely as quiet now. But if you step around to the back where the exhaust bellows out the world famous D & D note…. you will find she sounds far from a Goldwing and can out run one as well but not by much.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
Per Lloydz and Noe the new 17 tensioners should work just remember to remove the pain in the Ass rubber piece in the front cylinder. They are in …… the bike is running like new ! Sewing machine quiet.
:ttiwop:

• Agree
Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

· Registered
6,637 Posts
So the tensioners from a 2017 Cross bike that are NLA are what the older engines should be using if need be? The tensioners for the older bikes like my 2012 are available and interchangeable but the Front Tensioner Sleeve is NLA.

What is the process of changing these tensioners? Unscrew the protective cap, unscrew the oem tensioner and reattach the cap? How can you tell the older version from the newer version?

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If I can figure out how to download a picture on this forum format I would tell you and show you. The tensioners come assembled especially if you buy them online used from eBay. I lucked out and find the 2017 tensioners and purchase both for $15. Clean them up installed them and they work fine. Victory somewhere along the way found another company to make the tensioner‘s for the new models coming up. To remove them you simply unscrew them one at a time from the block. Changing them one at a time do not remove both tensioners until the other one has changed.

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
@NOEMTZ, are you able to get the newer/beefier tensioner and caps from Polaris? If yes, please put me down for two tensioners and two caps.
Mark …. There are no tensioners for any year available at this time. The parts Fiche shows all years unavailable. Even though the Fiche breaks down the tensioner into pieces when you go to remove yours they come out as one piece. If you suspect you have a bad one ….. remove one at a time and check it. Mine was the rear. Not sure if the front and rear are interchangeable. I’ve had the hardest time figuring it all out. Decided to just put in the newer pieces and it did the trick.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
What year did they switch over to the beefier tensioners? Wondering if my 2014 has the old or new.

· Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What year did they switch over to the beefier tensioners? Wondering if my 2014 has the old or new.
I believe 2014 …… only one way to find out. Pull the front one ( it’s easier) and see. Post a pic and I’ll tell you if you have them.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts