VOG Forum banner

Motor vibration causes and fix

2195 56
Well here we go again. Yep my 11XC is exhibiting a vibration when good and warmed up. When I rev the noise increases with it. When I ride and pull hard it turns into a sort of loud rattle.
So before we go into this I have checked and tightened everything from exhaust flanges to exhaust heat shield clamps. This is definitely inside the motor and the best part is I hear it in both jugs leaving me wondering if I have a cam chain issue or a cam chain adjuster issue.
There’s some minor decel popping. The timing is at 1* advanced and there’s no detonation. The bike is strong and pulls hard till you get around 4500 and go up in rpm. In the upper gears it feels a little flat. Riding with a little aggression and shifting up from a stop with 4k rpm shifts the bike is great and pulls strong. Taking to 5k is when it starts this vibrating rattle feel and sound. Yes a slight vibration os felt in the bars and floor boards but it’s slight.

I know these things are hard to diagnose. Engine noises are common on these OHC motors but having two bikes I actually have something to compare to.
My 11 just sounds like it’s more loose than my 16X1. This is obvious for the mileage difference yet the 11 has way more internal noise than the X1.

Is it possible that there’s a bad cam chain tensioner ? Letting the cam chain rattle a bit when she’s really spinning ?
Hopefully Noemntz ( Noe Martinez ) sees this and can chime in. Hate bugging him privately. He’s very busy and glad he is with his now full time at the shop !
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
4,420 Posts
if I have a cam chain issue or a cam chain adjuster issue.
2 chains 2 tensioners. Is it possible that the bolts loosened on both the cams drive sprockets after the head bolt change. Could remove bottom cover (where timing gear is ) to check is nothing loose on bottom to cause both jugs rattling. Since is both, maybe both tensioners or both chains have just simply worn out after 12years of spirited riding. Valve cover bolts but you would have a visible leak

· Premium Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 chains 2 tensioners. Is it possible that the bolts loosened on both the cams drive sprockets after the head bolt change. Could remove bottom cover (where timing gear is ) to check is nothing loose on bottom to cause both jugs rattling. Since is both, maybe both tensioners or both chains have just simply worn out after 12years of spirited riding. Valve cover bolts but you would have a visible leak
Thanks. Makes sense. Like said. Lots of power but a dammmm rattling vibration up top. Spirited yes but not flat out beat the crap out of it.

· Premium Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Still ….. the sound is so inside the motor and maybe under the valve covers. Guess I’m popping open the valve covers to check the valve train

· Registered
1,776 Posts
Time for another oil thread. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though hope you figure it out. We only want the good vibes as the kids say now.

· Premium Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time for another oil thread. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though hope you figure it out. We only want the good vibes as the kids say now.
Thanks , but I’m not even sure there is an issue. Could just be the Vic is just tired. I’m riding the Magnum today and I will pay close attention to motor sounds and vibration. At least I have something to compare.

· Registered
4,420 Posts
but I’m not even sure there is an issue.
Could be a fuel issue, we try to only put quality stuff in but it’s not all under our complete control

· Premium Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What tune, clutch and mileage is on each bike?
Hi Mark. Always appreciate your insight. The 11 has 45k on the bike. It has a PCV and 501 cams.
The 16 X1 is still fresh. Not ridden much. Approaching 10k. Maximus tune and 505 cams. It’s smooth as can be.

· Premium Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could be a fuel issue, we try to only put quality stuff in but it’s not all under our complete control
I thought so too Brad. It started getting noisy when I put fuel in that smelled foul n Daytona. I almost stopped filling it but thought I’d run it out while up there. There has need 2 fill ups since so it’s out of there. This noise is ver mechanical. Wondering if this bike does not like the Spectro 20/50 ??? That’s new to the bike also.

· Registered
4,420 Posts
Wondering if this bike does not like the Spectro 20/50 ??? That’s new to the bike also.
I bet you found the issue, maybe 50’s too thick

· Registered
6,632 Posts
The oil change is an interesting bit of information. Plus it could very well be true. At the next change interval, return to what you used previously and you'll soon know. Did the oil change and smelly gas in Daytona happen at or near the same time?

45K on your very well maintained bike is nothing. IMHO, it's now nearly fully broken in. My CCT now has 95K and yes, I do notice a bit more vibration than I used to. But only when I'm 'looking' for it. If I change my feet position on the boards the vibration changes, a lot. I don't think much of it as the sounds I hear are also very dependant on the helmet I'm wearing. And the vibrations I feel are also very dependant on my grip and foot positions and weight.

Who knows, maybe if someone else road my bike they'd think it's ready to fly apart or they'd be impressed due to its calmness. Especially considering the miles.

Though in your case you have two examples to directly compare to which makes noticing these kinds of things quite easy. I do not stand in the camp that claims "they all make different noises" etc. No sir, today's manufacturing tolerances are so good that 1000's of engines will react and perform extremely close to one another. Sure, mechanical and electrical things break, such is life. They are the outliers, not the norm.

Two more things to check;

1. Clutch adjustment. Ensure you have more freeplay than you think seems right and you should be fine.
2. Belt tension, ensure they're at or just past the loose end of the spec and you should be fine.

· Premium Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've found a mechanic's stethoscope very helpful in tracking down annoying noises.
Darn. Was just at Harbor Freight too. Should of picked one up. I ha my had the time to dig into this bike yet. Really want the stethoscope before I do. I’m leaning on cam tensioner and possibly worn or stretched chain. In neutral on the side stand it exhibits the same noise. It produces the same vibration. It revs clean up the tach. The bike starts and runs fine. It’s responsive and it still hauls a$$. I’m the morning I will remove the tensioners ….. one at a time and inspect them.

· Registered
213 Posts
Darn. Was just at Harbor Freight too. Should of picked one up. I ha my had the time to dig into this bike yet. Really want the stethoscope before I do. I’m leaning on cam tensioner and possibly worn or stretched chain. In neutral on the side stand it exhibits the same noise. It produces the same vibration. It revs clean up the tach. The bike starts and runs fine. It’s responsive and it still hauls a$$. I’m the morning I will remove the tensioners ….. one at a time and inspect them.
You can always use a long screwdriver or other metal item like a piece of conduit if you don’t have the stethoscope.

· Registered
9,572 Posts
I would run Gumout through the tank and then see how it's going. Won't hurt, but could certainly help. Only about 3 to 4 dollars a Walymart.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

· Registered
4,420 Posts
Could fuel filter be covered with deteriorating liner or pump be getting weak

· Registered
6,999 Posts
Well here we go again. Yep my 11XC is exhibiting a vibration when good and warmed up. When I rev the noise increases with it. When I ride and pull hard it turns into a sort of loud rattle.
So before we go into this I have checked and tightened everything from exhaust flanges to exhaust heat shield clamps. This is definitely inside the motor and the best part is I hear it in both jugs leaving me wondering if I have a cam chain issue or a cam chain adjuster issue.
There’s some minor decel popping. The timing is at 1* advanced and there’s no detonation. The bike is strong and pulls hard till you get around 4500 and go up in rpm. In the upper gears it feels a little flat. Riding with a little aggression and shifting up from a stop with 4k rpm shifts the bike is great and pulls strong. Taking to 5k is when it starts this vibrating rattle feel and sound. Yes a slight vibration os felt in the bars and floor boards but it’s slight.

I know these things are hard to diagnose. Engine noises are common on these OHC motors but having two bikes I actually have something to compare to.
My 11 just sounds like it’s more loose than my 16X1. This is obvious for the mileage difference yet the 11 has way more internal noise than the X1.

Is it possible that there’s a bad cam chain tensioner ? Letting the cam chain rattle a bit when she’s really spinning ?
Hopefully Noemntz ( Noe Martinez ) sees this and can chime in. Hate bugging him privately. He’s very busy and glad he is with his now full time at the shop !
Take a look at the, what did you do to your cross country today, thead. Another member just replaced his cam chains for a noise problem.

· Premium Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Take a look at the, what did you do to your cross country today, thead. Another member just replaced his cam chains for a noise problem.
I pulled both tensioners one at a time of course. The rear tensioner seems to have that additional slop in it where the inner sleeve moves in and out a lot. There is two videos on YouTube showing this same thing however the videos are so short with no explanation if that is actually a problem or not. Having another bike I’m going to pull the rear tensioner on the magnum and see if it has the same play. The hydraulic pistons on both tensioners seem to feel about the same. Wondering if anyone knows if the rear tensioner is supposed to have that much play on the inner sleeve that goes into the large not?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts