VOG Forum banner

MotoAmerica's King Of The Baggers Race

59K views 875 replies 37 participants last post by  NY mike 
#1 ·
#5 ·
As am I. We know this SS prepped bike should be represented as a Victory but .......
I hope it’s televised.

#26 · (Edited)
Because this all about HD and Indian. No one cares about the other brands. I also would like to see an all bagger shoot out and done in stock form. Anyone can take a turd and make it kick everyone's a$$.

#7 ·
A Blind Crest and a Three-Story Drop -
The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca

Watching bagger bikes race through those Corkscrew curves will be interesting - if the bagger race is televised.

I much prefer aggressively rounding through a tight, ascending curve over rounding through a tight, descending curve.

#10 ·
Watching bagger bikes race through those Corkscrew curves will be interesting - if the bagger race is televised.
I sure hope it is televised. It seems like a great opportunity to show off your potential and run your latest bagger commercials. It's not like there are a ton of other sporting events taking place right now.

#8 ·
I am going to do my level best to be there, but I may have a conflict, so we will see. I look forward to this.

#9 ·
So...who thinks the S&S Indian will take it? It's interesting because you know most of the other Harley's will have S&S components as well. With their huge line of Harley products they must be anxious to show off what they can do with the "other" American motorcycle. (Notice I didn't say first.) I wonder if this Indian bagger will have any Lloydz goodies or just pure S&S? From what I've heard S&S and Lloydz have worked together in the distant past...

I would like to see the rules they must adhere to when it comes to mods.

#12 ·
The Indian has the handling and suspension out of the box and I'm sure there's improvements that will be done there as well. I think the Indian could win this. Looking forward to a bagger drag nationals too. This should Happen also. We need entertainment what will all our events being shut down do to C19.

Reactions: normthenomad
#13 · (Edited)
While bike specs and handling are certainly important, the rider's ability dealing with a modified, roughly 600 lbs bagger bike is going to be incredibly important, especially concerning last-minute braking, delayed turn-in while cornering, trail-braking in the curves, delayed apex in the curves with aggressive yet smooth acceleration out of the curves, aggressive yet smooth cornering throughout the curves, and significant in-board rider body-leaning to provide more traction potential and mitigate against hard-parts-scrapage while cornering. Acceleration in the straight-a-ways are important, but a rider's cornering skills and abilities at Laguna Seca have a huge influence on which rider stands at the top of the winner's podium at the end of the race.

And while bike modifications will be permissible, I hope the bagger race bikes will still somewhat resemble the appearance of a bagger bike, including some sort of saddlebags and some sort of front fairing. After all, bagger bikes are and look different than heavily stripped-down bobber bikes.

Tyler O'Hara will be riding the Indian Challenger. It would be nice if we could see him practice for the bagger bike race.

Land vehicle Sky Cloud Vehicle Motor vehicle

#14 ·
Wouldn’t it be funny if one of the teams entered a Victory and won. Let the orphan beat the “better horse”.

#16 ·
We'll have to see what the rules are going to be regarding the retention of OEM parts. Taking off a couple of hundred pounds and being allowed to modify whatever you want isn't really a bagger race. That would be like the HD drag bikes that don't have a single HD part on them past a sponsorship decal. Simply putting saddlebags on a drag bike would be little more than an amusing sideshow.

Anybody can build a stripped down race bike. I would like to see mods limited to a minimum to make it interesting for me anyway. I'd like to see what tires they use as well.

#17 ·
I was hoping there were restrictions and certain things remained stock but we're dealing with Laguna Seca and a stock bagger has no business doing those speeds with its stock suspension on that track. No professional racer will set their arse on a stock bagger especially a Harley and run that track. Look at the Challenger already getting top of the line suspension treatments. Yeah this isn't a quality of brand race at all. It's a pick your brand and modify the sh!t out of it competition. Cool that SS has taken interest in the Indian. It is a great bike.
So in agreement with your post I'm thinking a different kind of contest. Maybe an easier track. A drag race but we already know which bike will win right ? So yeah let the games begin. Modify the hell out of them and let's have some fun.

#19 ·
This is gonna be good! And I will be there. I was considering working the race, but I am not in correct shape for that. I'm just working too damned much. So I am going as a fan and will have my Wife with me. It will be a little strange, though, seeing the race from the stands. I'm usually working turn 4! But that is OK, it is still gonna be hella fun.

#20 ·
Roger that Ghost rider. Man your lucky to be there. Wish I could go. That Indian is gonna kick a$$. Did I read right that Indian has only one bagger there and HD has like 13?
Why do they need 13 ? It's like they need 13 try's to beat the Indian lmfao !

#21 ·
@slickvic I'm not sure, Slick. I reckon out of all the entries this is just how it played out. I would have to say the Challenger is my pre-race favorite, but you never know! These gentlemen have all the tricks up their sleeves and we might get surprised. Either way it should be fun. Not as competitive as when they were running the Vance & Hines series, but fun nevertheless!

#22 ·
Really, this race isn't against the baggers is it? As produced, it would be no contest.

The race is really against the third party parts builders and mechanics.

Still, would be nice to watch but in the GWN we don't get much for bike racing since the demise of the FOX Racing channel. Going to have to look at getting a VPN. MotoGP would be nice too.

#23 ·
@53canuck Dude, MotoGP has been off the hook. Marquez broke his arm in the first round and hasn't raced since. With him out of the mix, it's been wide open every round! There have been different winners riding different bikes, High drama, incredible wrecks, it's been amazing! All except for MotoE. That just sucks, man. They can barely do Moto3 speeds. Since they are ALL going that slow, the racing in reality hasn't been horrible, but I just can't get behind these f*cking electric motorcycles. All the other classes have been bangin! They were in Misano last week and will be there again this week. I can't wait!

#31 ·
But but there’s no bags ? What’s a bagger shoot out with no stinking bags !

#34 ·
I’m wondering what SS will bring to the after market for this bike and the models to follow.
I’m thinking Indian finall has a shot to re write some lost history. I know it will never be the same and the legacy was interrupted but it’s an Indian none the less. S&$ and Lloydz at the helm bringing us some Indian performance can liven up things a little. This shootout is a great idea but why are there 13 Harleys ? Incase they keep breaking down they’ll have a replacement ? If that’s the case they better get 20 ...........:22yikes:

• Haha
Reactions: bikendad
#35 ·
BTW guys, the bags WILL be mounted for the final configuration. They said they will be mounting them higher up to provide more lean angle, which is supposedly at 58 degrees at this point. Not too shabby!