VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have 8,000 miles on my Vision. Since my last oil change at 7,500 miles with the Victory 20W-40 oil my shifting has become very notchy and the bike is harder to get into neutral. I checked the bleed on the clutch line to ensure it was not air in the hydraulic system. I have heard SO much good about this oil and Amsoil, that I am wanting to try it, but I am concerned about my wet clutch. The bottle reads that it IS safe for a wet clutch. Anybody tried it in a Vision yet???

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Oil is a very touchy subject. Bottom line run what isgood for you. I use Amsoil 20/50. Have used it since 2000 in all 5 Vics. It works for MY application. Also run it in my 04 Trail Blazer with 95000 miles.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

FYI:
What makes an oil non-wet-clutch-friendly is Friction Modifiers. Oils that say 'energy conserving' on the label have them. Mostly the 5W and OW automotive oils. This is why you should never use oil additives in a bike because additives are usually just Friction Modifiers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agreed with previous owner's statements. Amsoil 20w50 works great, just like the test reports say. Wet clutch friendly, and longer duration between changes. Shifts better and doesn't make grumbling noises below 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
399 Posts

JUST FINISHED this type of discussion on the Other site. I know everyone has their opinion but I decided to see if there was a consensus from the name brand guys we all seem to trust.
Here is the talley, so far:
Big Joe (KewlMetal)- Mobile-1.
KevinX (Kevin Cross/Performance Guru)- Victory Oil.
Lloyd (Lloyd Greer/Performance Guru)- Victory Oil.
Vic Factory (The Company)- Victory Oil.
Conquest Customs- Pending Reply.
Bottom line for me is, if Vic oil is what Lloyd, KevinX and the factory recommend, It's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
PrometheusVII said:
Bottom line for me is, if Vic oil is what Lloyd, KevinX and the factory recommend, It's good enough for me.
Now the question is...

Will Victory be changing their recommended factory oil on the 2011 models in order to work with the updated transmission to achieve the 5,000 mile oil change intervals?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had some discussions with various mechanics in my area, and one of the mechanics called Victory and spoke with a guy in their support area. The mechanic told me the Victory rep said they have the 20w40 designation only because it is a proprietary blend and there are few, if any, other 20w40 oils out there, keeping the money with Victory. He, along with the other four I asked, all recommended the Mobil One 20w50 V-Twin oil. One also recommended some "purple" named type of synthetic oil that is also good. I have used the Mobil One in my bikes for many yearsand have never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I asked this in another thread but figured i would ask here as well,

Does anyone know if whatever vic did to the new trannys, ie: the easy neutral whatever it is, can it be retro fitted to older vics so the older ones can extend the engine oil change interval?

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Clubford00 said:

Does anyone know if whatever vic did to the new trannys, ie: the easy neutral whatever it is, can it be retro fitted to older vics so the older ones can extend the engine oil change interval?
What makes you think the positive neutral finder has anything to do with the oil change interval?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Amsoil is the only oil I`ll run in a motorcycle. I`ve been running it for 10 years and put in sevaral friends bikes. They love how much cooler their bikes run and how much better the shift.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
Clubford00 said:

What makes you think the positive neutral finder has anything to do with the oil change interval?
......Because of this......from Victory:

2. PROVEN OUTSTANDING RELIABILITY = LESS MAINTENANCE

Victory has a track record of consistently outstanding reliability and dependability, which has led to the industry's highest customer satisfaction ratings. This proven reliability, along with the new transmission design, allows Victory to recommend extended oil service intervals for 2011 drivetrains.
• The recommended oil change interval for 2011 models is every 5,000 miles.
• Less-frequent oil changes results in a lower cost of ownership.
We asked Victory engineer James Holroyd to comment on some of the changes in 2011. Regarding reliability, James says "This important improvement was made possible by the new transmission and its neutral-finder. Previous oil change intervals were dictated by oil breakdown making neutral harder to find at higher mileages. The neutral finder eliminates this problem, and allows you to get the full use out of your oil."

......and this.....

"Neutral Assist" has been added to make it easier for a rider to shift into neutral when stopped. This will reduce the rider's effort, will reduce clutch wear and will lessen the performance demands on the oil.
James adds "You won't believe how well it works. The quieter transmission has also allowed us to increase the exhaust's noise level, making stock bikes sound better yet still pass the federally mandated sound limit. Stock never sounded so good!"

My personal interjection here:

Everyone will have an opinion on the validity of these claims by Victory and y'all can fight it out with them.

Dean-To address your question simply, the answer is NO. Read below:
"We had to make serious changes inside the engine to achieve these improvements. Unfortunately, this means that the new transmission will not retrofit to previous model years."

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
phoenix9 said:
......Because of this......from Victory:

We asked Victory engineer James Holroyd to comment on some of the changes in 2011. Regarding reliability, James says "This important improvement was made possible by the new transmission and its neutral-finder. Previous oil change intervals were dictated by oil breakdown making neutral harder to find at higher mileages. The neutral finder eliminates this problem, and allows you to get the full use out of your oil."

......and this.....

"Neutral Assist" has been added to make it easier for a rider to shift into neutral when stopped. This will reduce the rider's effort, will reduce clutch wear and will lessen the performance demands on the oil.
I read that as:We based the oil change interval on when the shifting got notchy and it becamedifficult to findneutral. Now, with a neutral finder and a better trans, you can run with dirty oil and the shifting is fine....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.