VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using this in their Vision?? What is your opinion on the oil?? I now have 8,000 miles on my Vision and at 7,500 miles I changed the oil again with the Victory oil and after THAT oil change my transmission has become notchy. Thanks for the replies!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm pretty new to this site but from what I have seen people on here tend to get wriled up when you mention oil. Seems this subject has been beaten to death, try a search for the subject. There is quite a buzz over Amsoil, haven't heard much about Mobile 1. I was kinda curious about Royal purple, but chose not to bring it up and upset the masses, plus I am not sure they make the right viscosity or a cycle specific oil. I think I will stick with the Victory oil for my first oil change this weekend then go from there.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Gary-Mike said:
I'm pretty new to this site but from what I have seen people on here tend to get wriled up when you mention oil. Seems this subject has been beaten to death, try a search for the subject. There is quite a buzz over Amsoil, haven't heard much about Mobile 1. I was kinda curious about Royal purple, but chose not to bring it up and upset the masses, plus I am not sure they make the right viscosity or a cycle specific oil. I think I will stick with the Victory oil for my first oil change this weekend then go from there.
+1......pretty accurate assessment as the subject has had a a few threads in the last 6 months that have turned into 4-6 page discussions. I think you would find all the information you would need in one of those threads by using the search icon and typing in "oil".

There seem to be 2 camps: One that will use only the Vic oil and One that is very devout to the full synthetic oils. When you find those threads you will see why each camp has its strong opinions.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Gary-Mike said:
Check out this link. Very in depth (but easy to undestand) test results for motorcycle oil. I have changed my belief that Royal purple is the way to go. http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf
Yep, that's certainly an unbiased opinion in that report --- NOT!!!!

Honestly, just run what you want and if it gives you the performance you are looking for then ignore all the internet bluster. If it doesn't, then try something else. Nothing you put in the crankcase that's a motorcycle rated multi-viscosity oil is going to cause any harm, some just work better than others.

My dealer has people running Mobil 1, Scamsoil, Castrol and Victory oil in Visions and there are no reported problems. Each seems to be happy with the oil of their choice.

I'd have no fear running Mobil 1, Scamsoil, Royal Purple, Red Line, Victory, Castrol, Motul, Shell or any of the top shelf blends out there in 15W-40, 20W-40 or 20W-50 flavors.

If you are really bored you can surf this site: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=9&page=1

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

mjw930 said:
Gary-Mike said:
Check out this link. Very in depth (but easy to undestand) test results for motorcycle oil. I have changed my belief that Royal purple is the way to go. http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf
Yep, that's certainly an unbiased opinion in that report --- NOT!!!!

Honestly, just run what you want and if it gives you the performance you are looking for then ignore all the internet bluster. If it doesn't, then try something else. Nothing you put in the crankcase that's a motorcycle rated multi-viscosity oil is going to cause any harm, some just work better than others.

My dealer has people running Mobil 1, Scamsoil, Castrol and Victory oil in Visions and there are no reported problems. Each seems to be happy with the oil of their choice.

I'd have no fear running Mobil 1, Scamsoil, Royal Purple, Red Line, Victory, Castrol, Motul, or any of the top shelf blends out there in 20W-40 or 20W-50 flavors.
Just to note on that study, it does not show any air/oil cooled bikes that share tranny/engine oil.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

After reading the specs on the Mobil 1 V twin 20W-50 it DOES state that it IS optimized for wet clutch operation and meets or exceeds JASO MA standards. Reading this right from the horses mouth I feel I would be safe with it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have something to say. I have been a motor head for over 35 years and have been riding cycles since before that and find that if you use oil's made for a wet clutch system it sould work fine as long as it is the right viscosity. I did notice when I changed my oil the other day (had about 2800 miles since last changed mostly highway miles) that when I did, eveything seemed smoother the engine, the amount it took to squeeze the clutch in, tranny noise and so on. I thought I was noticing a little more noise and stiffer clutch getting closer to the oil change but just blew it off. I will change it a little closer to more like 2000 to 2500 miles if it makes the bike run smoother. Now the amount of the difference in highway and city driving is only a couple of hundred miles and some people can't feel or notice a difference in engine or tranny noises. Its your bike you can do what you wish. I have used onlyVictory oil so far but could change at any time I see fit.This is just my 2 cents worth so take it as such. Dain

·
Registered
9 Posts

I ran Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin Full Synthetic Oil in my Suzuki Intruder 1400 for many years. Tried a few others; IMHO none worked as good. Ran great, better gas mileage, less clunk in the transmission.
As for my 2009 Vision, I have only had it 2 months (5k Miles). Am currently planning on running Victory oil as to take no chance of voiding my 5 year warranty. Have read, though, you can double the oil change interval with full Synthetic, so that is tempting...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Boots said:
I ran Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin Full Synthetic Oil in my Suzuki Intruder 1400 for many years. Tried a few others; IMHO none worked as good. Ran great, better gas mileage, less clunk in the transmission.
As for my 2009 Vision, I have only had it 2 months (5k Miles). Am currently planning on running Victory oil as to take no chance of voiding my 5 year warranty. Have read, though, you can double the oil change interval with full Synthetic, so that is tempting...
I would think that doubling your oil change interval would void your warranty on engine, tranny related issues.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Boots said:
Dont do it... Your warranty says you can use an equal oil, no where does it say you can change your maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Rebel715 said:
After reading the specs on the Mobil 1 V twin 20W-50 it DOES state that it IS optimized for wet clutch operation and meets or exceeds JASO MA standards. Reading this right from the horses mouth I feel I would be safe with it.
Now if I told you I made the best widget would you believe me?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

phoenix9 said:
There seem to be 2 camps: One that will use only the Vic oil and One that is very devout to the full synthetic oils. When you find those threads you will see why each camp has its strong opinions.

Best of luck.
Make that THREE camps. I am not a Vic oil only guy, but I am ANTI full synth. Use whatever blended or straight Dino oil you want, as long as it is compatible to wet clutches

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

Make that THREE camps. I am not a Vic oil only guy, but I am ANTI full synth. Use whatever blended or straight Dino oil you want, as long as it is compatible to wet clutches
Can you enlite us as to why you are not a fan of full synth, with most of the world going to full synth in everything that has a motor in it.
Just wondering as you are one of the few who steps up to the plate when it come to good advise and helping on this site.
Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boots said:
Have read, though, you can double the oil change interval with full Synthetic, so that is tempting...
Sorry, guess should have been more clear. Have not seen anything from Victory suggesting this. While under warranty I currently plan on following their Periodic Maintenance Interval Table 100%. As a matter of fact, I just did the 5k service, and although I left servicing my own vehicles behind 20 years ago, was kind of fun finding all the hoses, levels, adjustments, inspections, etc. Really helps me 'connect' with the newest member of the family.

A few guys on other forums have said they go 5k between changes without problems using full synthetic. I did the same with my last bike for over 50k miles and she ran like a champ.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For kevinx:

For checking oil level in the Vision - is there any reason why you couldn't make a mark on the dipstick that corresponds to oil level "full" when the bike is leaning on the kickstand? Measuring while the bike is upright can be tricky, even with a chock - so why not mark the dipstick at the level point when the bike is leaning? Maybe there is something non-linear about the way the oil sits that makes this inaccurate, but it mystifies me that Victory couldn't mark the dipstick to read the correct oil level while the bike is on the kickstand vs. having to lift it up. Doing this alone is tougher with hot pipes and keeping it upright while unscrewing and wiping and re-inserting, etc. Seems like it ought to be possible to mark the stick with a new 'full' and 'add' mark based on the lean. Care to comment?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.