Metzler Cruise Tech tires / Challenger | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Metzler Cruise Tech tires / Challenger

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by slickvic, Dec 13, 2019.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    All the talk about the Challenger and I haven’t really heard about the grip and handling of the new Cruise Tech tires specially made for this bike.
    I’m assuming from what has been stated they are a good tire. I’m more interested in wet grip Performance. Seems all that have ridden this bike has done so on dry pavement. I also hear the Challenger breaks loose in 1st and 2nd with a little aggressive throttle action. With 138 ft pounds at the crank I guess this is possible. My Avon’s are not easy to light up like my Dunlop E3’s did.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Actually wondering about the "new" tires, also. And yeah....same with the E4's. Easier to spin than the Cobras.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    I rode one in 40 degree weather on brand new tires so it's really not a fair comparison. I powerslid the bike out of the dealership driveway LOL. Need to ride in warmer weather when the tires are scrubbed off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mobear66

mobear66 Well-Known Member

Victory XC FCP
    I considered this tire for my rear but they did not have match for our front. If its anything like other metzlers they break lose pretty easy but not as easy as e3 or e4.

5. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    What I’m hearing on other sites is people judging are impressed with the grip wet and dry. I ran cobras on my magnum and loved them perfect for everything sticky as can ask for. But 2 sets a season was ridiculous. 10g best I could do touring 2 up. I tossed me E3’s on the chieftain at 9g before they got me killed. I’m on E4,s now but only 4000 on them. I’m pretty impressed so far canyons and rain time in on them no complaints yet. I tried them because riders were saying 16 to 18g on a rear. I thought ok 1 set per season I’ll give them a run. We’ll see how they hold up. But again they hold well rain or shine so far and they ride nice and are quiet. I ran commanders on my Harleys twice excellent mileage tires 21g on a rear. But ride hard and just ok in the rain

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

88 Yamaha Venture, 07 Vstar 1300, 13 GSXR 750, 82 Honda CBX, 79 Turbocharge EFI CBX
    I was about to order a rear tire and now that I have read a couple of reviews the Metzler Cruise tech sounds like it is worth trying. I probably won't be able to tell a difference since but I feel better thinking I have a better tire. If I do notice a difference I let you all know. The bike came to me with Avon Scorpions on it. They seemed fine even recently and when I got in there it was really worn out. Front tires definitely feel bad when worn but rears are a bit harder to tell. At least for me.

7. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    When I rode the Challenger one thing I noted was how good the tires felt. Great grip, Very nice roll, good edge considering the profile, good feedback and very planted in feel. I believe they make sizes to fit most of our bikes. I used to run Z8 Interacts on the GSX and was really happy with them, so I do like the Metzeler product. I will most likely try a set of these on the Vision when the time comes. The E4s have been very good, but I want to try something else.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. mobear66

Victory XC FCP
    I got my hands on cruisetecs for my upcoming 2 week 7k mile trip. Haven’t ridden much with them yet but what I have they remind me a lot of the E4s. They are a sportier profile then the 888 ultra marathon, which I did enjoy, at speed 85 90 95 100 120 they rolled nice once they were broken in. Cornering was good but it doesn’t just layover for ya like the 888s if you get what I am saying but they gripped good. Will post a way more in depth review in a few weeks. I have miles and miles of curves and pretty sure rain to deal with. Thats what swayed me to them at this time after reading about on other bikes and forums.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Anxiously awaiting your review on these tires after your trip. Enjoy and ride safe!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MagVic CCT

I see that they have a size and load rating for the rear, but I don't see a front fit. What size did you get?

11. mobear66

Victory XC FCP
    130 70r18 63h got from J&P cycle

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Some people will do anything for a cheap thrill.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mobear66

Victory XC FCP
    Well hit a massive bump in the road literally and figuratively today. Let me say this first. The tires have been amazing. 2 days 1200 miles of fun. Long straight runs tons of corners in the mountains and even 20 miles of sand to ride thru in white sands national park. Then came the issue. At 80 I hit a bump then a pop and white smoke everywhere. My shock exploded bike dropped onto tire. Don’t know if I am done this trip or what. Won’t know the condition of my rear tire till I get it to my buddies house tomorrow and see how much damage was really done from my fat ass sitting on fender as she stopped lol. Vicparts has been helpful getting me a shock heading my way so I only lose a day or so and some awesome strangers trailered me to my hotel and they were amazing. Tires are awesome so far but 1200 miles isn’t that much testing. Running 38 and 40psi with load and trunk. Total weight about 360 lbs.

• Like Like x 3
  14. MagVic CCT

Bummer. Good to know you'll have it fixed sooner rather than later.

15. mobear66

Victory XC FCP
    Will give thread my next update. Sooooo it wasn’t the shock at all my Vic shock is perfect but my suspension link is done. My swing arm mounting bolts were backing out limiting the travel of my swing arm and lowering my bike. The bump/jump was the final blow. My tire seems to be good a lil scuffed. Tomorrow a welder is gonna show up to weld a new end onto the broken link getting me back on the road. As for my buddy and his Vic well he will be getting the shock I just bought since his just busted the seals on our way back to his house to work on my bike. Crazy how the world works. A287F892-6132-43B6-842E-98F6D15E2E14.jpeg 7AAC7A7B-5EEF-4538-BC55-B947202E077F.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1