Metzler 888 tires | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Metzler 888 tires

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by 1stVictory, Oct 26, 2018.

1. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    For those of you who ride on them or are considering buying them. I've ridden on a pair since last summer but wanted to know what pressures Metzler recommends for our touring bikes. So I wrote to them and eventually got a reply.

I ride a Victory® Cross Country Tour motorcycle and it is equipped with Metzler 888's: 130/70R-18 front tire, 180/60R-16 rear tire. What is Metzler's recommended tire pressures for these tires on my heavy touring motorcycle, approx 850 pounds without me on it? I have this past season had them at 40 psi and 41 psi respectively. Thank you.

Please forgive my late reply. Your email was forwarded to me from our consumer affairs department. My name is Brian Davenport and I am responsible for the Canadian market for Metzeler and Pirelli. Thanks for purchasing a set of ME888’s! We think you’ll really like them. You’re pretty spot on with your pressures. You can go up to 42 psi in the front if you wanted but that’s totally up to you. The rear tire we produce for that bike is reinforced and you can run up to 50psi in that rear tire for extra load carrying capacity if you would like.

Ultimately the PSI that Victory recommends will be on a sticker on either the neck of the frame or on the swingarm of the bike. You can always start at that PSI recommendation. If you are 2 up fully loaded you can always run the max PSI listed on the sidewall of the tire but that could lead to a little harsher ride. But anywhere in the high 30’s to low 40’s in the front should be fine and anything 40psi and above is great for the rear. Just make sure you don’t inflate the tires more than the max cold PSI listed on the sidewall of the tires.

Hope this information helps and please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    How do you like the 888's? I ran a set and instantly noticed a loud whirring noise in the front. I actually pulled the front wheel back off to check the wheel bearings again but they were fine. Lasted almost 16,000 miles and as the tread wore down the noise was less. Replaced with an Avon and no noise. Liked the tire and lasted long, but that road noise!

3. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    I posted a few times before, max tire pressure is 55 PSI

so my pressures are between 39 to 45 PSI before i put any air inside again ....

Metz on both vics

4. Cruzie27

Cruzie27 Well-Known Member

16’ Gunner, 12’ XCT
    I love the ME 888’s on my steel frame!

5. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I keep my 888s at 38 front and 44 rear. Seems to be just right for me. I actually set my E4s there too.

6. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Moderator

vision 08
    I went back to what Vic owners book recommend. In curvy roads I had the front tire wash out on me. It was at 40 psi. A tire man explained it to me tires are made for the mass of bikes there not made for a one special model like vic of bmw or hd. So the guy told me the higher the air pressure you have less tire on the road witch means when you go into a corner or a clover leaf you have less tire on the ground. It all so means you take farther to stop cause of less contact patch on the road. Coming spring a bigger front tire for me

7. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Active Member

Victory Crossroads
    I seem to get the best mileage out if them at Max pressure on tire. I was by a bike shop and it works. I've had several sets.

8. Old-Gramps

Old-Gramps Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    My setup is still original tyres.... have always used 38 in front and 40 in back.... When i was pulling the trailer I upped the rear to 42.... I use approx 23 psi in shock at all times and find the bike rides and handles well except one section of road i use regular on a sweeping bend it jumps round slightly as though the tyres are a tad hard, but only this one sweeping bend so i say it is the road surface..... I am definitely no expert on this subject but my front and rear tyre look in very good shape to me still after round 14,00 kilometres.... I expect to get round 20 to 23 k's out of them......

9. CRC-VKP

CRC-VKP Active Member

2014 XR Classic / 2004 Kingpin / 2003 KTM300EXC
    Put a new 888 on the rear of my Kingpin earlier this year (had the 880 up front already), really like the grip of them especially when wet out.....
    Never really noticed road noise, then again the "whining noise" that often comes from the back seat :shout1:....ah..i mean wind and pipes and music drowns things out for me!
    I've basically been a Metz guy for years starting on my dirt bikes and when I got my first street bike (a 'beater' 1981 Yamaha VIrago 750 I found in FL) I slapped the ME880's on and realized Metz was great on the road as well.
    When my XRC needs new ones (next spring) 888's are going on that baby too

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  10. vision_nut

vision 08
    Is there any other tire company beside Metzler that makes only MC tire

• Like Like x 1
  11. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    I don't understand your question. I can name a half dozen manufacturers that make MC tires. I don't know of any that ONLY make MC tires.

12. vision_nut

vision 08
    ONLY makes mc tires NO other tire company does that

13. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Heidenau? Mefo? IRC?

14. broggyr

broggyr Administrator Staff Member

2013 XCT
    The higher pressure/smaller contact patch thing makes sense. However, other things being equal, my argument would be that a smaller contact patch has a higher contact pressure; same weight, smaller surface area. If you run a lower pressure, yes your contact patch grows but that means your surface area does as well. When you increase your surface area, it spreads the load out over that patch area. So, my question is, what’s better for a motorcycle - larger contact patch or higher contact patch pressure? Think about rock crawler trucks or sand dune trucks. They routinely air down their tires to get a bigger contact patch, it increases flotation in sand or gravel, helping prevent the tire from sinking. The truck doesn’t weigh any less, there’s just more area to support the weight.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Etroze86

Etroze86 Active Member

Judge
    For cornering you will want a bigger contact patch. The contact pressure in a corner will make it way easier to lose any friction you gain if you hit something like gravel/sand.