VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, who has cut down their shield and what method did you use?
Ive heard of just using a jig saw but i want a little more precise than that.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Clubford00 said:
Hi all, who has cut down their shield and what method did you use?
Ive heard of just using a jig saw but i want a little more precise than that.
I taped my shield on both sides, drew a line where I wanted to cut, used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut off disc ( zip cut ) then used my electric sander to smooth out the edge, worked and looks good.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I only need to take 2 inches off the shield. so it probably wont look as drastic of a change as some ive seen. ive looked on youtube as well and seen a few different styles of cutting.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
FWIW Clubford,
I found a detailed set of instructions on another site www.xlforum.com. Do a search and you will find it.

Basically, it is the same as described above, with details!

Instead of cutting mine, I kept the vic shield as is and purchased a Memphis Shades Speed Demon model sport shield for about $200. I wanted to hang on to the vic shield in the event that I get really crazy and decide to drive across country....or some foolish thing like that :)

Good luck with the cutting...I'm sure you'll get it done. Just don't cut off too much!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Smatta, i actually have two stock shields in different heights that i dont even use. The one that i am going to cut down is my cee baylies shield that i use every day.
The reason for the cut isnt because i just want more air, its because i look right into the lip of it when its down all the way. I really like seeing over it on a nice day, and 2" isnt going to change the protection all that much when i put it all the way up.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I haven't done it but I would use my Dremel with a carbon fiber cutoff wheel....

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talked to Rollin on the phone and his method seems as good as anything ive seen, and a lot less BS. Ill probably give it a go next week sometime and ill get some pics up of the process.
thanks all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
425 Posts

I took my "standard" Vision windshield to a company in Tacoma, WA called Kel Tech Plastics Inc. They cut my windshield by 2.75 inches and reshaped it to look just like a Vision Blade windshield. I believe that Kel Tech used a water jet to cut it. You can NOT tell that it has ever been altered. Cost. $40+ Kel Techs website is:
http://www.keltechplastic.com/ Theyindicated that they do a lot of out-of-state work. If you want a professional job done that can't be distinguished from OEM work, I highly recommend them....
Note: I'm NOT affiliated with Kel Techin anyway.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its kinda like the guys that buy the backrests and sit by the bike with a knife in there hands , not quite ready to cut a hole in that seat yet. But they always do and everything turns out fine.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Clubford00 said:
Its kinda like the guys that buy the backrests and sit by the bike with a knife in there hands , not quite ready to cut a hole in that seat yet. But they always do and everything turns out fine.
HEY!!! Leave me out of this...lol

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i had some time on my hands today so the first thing i did was throw the stock shield back on and rode around a while. Wow I really hate the stock shield. The shape of it is just not functional for a 45 degree slightly misty ride.

So the second thing i did was stop at Menards on the way home and bought an 18 tooth jigsaw blade.
When i got home i put my 20" Cee Baylies shield back on and marked 1 1/4 inch off the top with a sharpie. Taped over the line I made( right on the shield), then traced it again on the tape. Took a deep breath and started cutting. Everything was going perfectly until i got about 3/4 of the way done, and in the middle of a smooth cut, the electric cord got caught on the mirror and the saw came to a screeching halt. What it did was studder a bit and my smooth cut now had a slight dip in it. Oh well, fixed the cord and finished it off.
Once it was cut i used my palm sander and a fairly aggressive sandpaper for the first 100 passes. It took a while but finally got the "Dip" out. Once i was happy with that i took 400 grit wet dry and using my fingers slightly curled finished the edge.
The last step was to take Laquer thinner on a paper type rag and rubbed the edge to take out and "melt down" any left over imperfections. Now i could rub my fingers over the edge and its as smooth as the original was.
the very last step was to use my Meguires plastic buffing kit and finish it off.

Sorry no pictures of the process because once i got home i just had at it !
very happy with the results.
And the reason for the cut down was that when the shield was fully retracted i looked right through the lip. I hate that. When its warm enough to have the shield down I want to look over the top of it and have the wind in my face, but still have the protection when i put it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.