VOG Forum banner

MBW led tail light strip vs stock setup

4161 20
Hi, I just got a Victory 2008 Dark Blue Hammer. Sawweeet :)

Have some questions on the MBW Led taillight strip:
How effective does this appear to be compared to the stock lights, aside from appearance. Does the light seems as effective to cars driving in the rear.
Also, which color would you recommended for my Blue paint. I was thinking the light smoke, but seeing a blue bike would be helpful.
Thanks
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,150 Posts

I have the clear one on my 08. When Ride Now was open they had all of them on display and in the flourescent lights the darked smoked could barely be seen. The other thing I liked about the clear is that when it is off you dont even see it on there.
Damn, just noticed you were in Longwood we need to get together for a ride one day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Congrats on the Blue (excellent color choice) Hammer. Although I don't have the MBW turn signal strip, I would go clear with amber lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts

First off welcome to the VOG and great choice in bikes. I've considered getting these for my bike but I've been a little nervous about it. I noticed on one of the websites selling them that they aren't D.O.T. approved.

So, I was wondering if anyone using them has ever received a ticket?
I don't want to spend the $ getting them installed and then have a cop tell me I can't use them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
BLININGER said:
First off welcome to the VOG and great choice in bikes. I've considered getting these for my bike but I've been a little nervous about it. I noticed on one of the websites selling them that they aren't D.O.T. approved.

So, I was wondering if anyone using them has ever received a ticket?
I don't want to spend the $ getting them installed and then have a cop tell me I can't use them.
No tickets or problems with the cops. My wife has them on her '04 Vegas. I think we had them installed in '05, so they've been on for over 50,000 miles. We've traveled from Iowa all over the country without any problems, South Carolina and back, Texas and back, you get the picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,150 Posts
BLININGER said:
First off welcome to the VOG and great choice in bikes. I've considered getting these for my bike but I've been a little nervous about it. I noticed on one of the websites selling them that they aren't D.O.T. approved.

So, I was wondering if anyone using them has ever received a ticket?

I don't want to spend the $ getting them installed and then have a cop tell me I can't use them.
They probably have not gone through the DOT approval process but the clear ones are brighter then the factory (on 08 models, newer models have LED's I think). I would be a little leary with the smoked ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts

willorlando said:
Good info and input guys
I have to disagree..... I was hoping to hear "yes I've recieved a ticket". But instead I hear "no, noproblems". Now I have to leave this on my GIANT want list for my bike since they look awesome and also sound like a good idea.
You guys aren't helping my pocket book!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have the light smoke with red on my 09 Jackpot and works fine for visability. I went with the light smoke as it blended into the bike better - can't even tell it's there unless it's used. I also like the red better then the amber as it then matches the taillight but is more personal preference and/or state laws - in VA we actually don't even need turn signals. I've heard quite a few places that the dark smoke can't be seen at all in daylight, but I think if you go with clear or amber you'd be fine. And, as everyone probably agrees, makes any of the 250 rear bikes look better then stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ah great, now I have the clear or light smoke debate again lol
BLININGER I know I have a shopping list now around $675 just a couple clicks. These mods are pretty expensive, but make a big different to the appearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
willorlando said:
Ah great, now I have the clear or light smoke debate again lol

BLININGER I know I have a shopping list now around $675 just a couple clicks. These mods are pretty expensive, but make a big different to the appearance.
I bought the dark smoke with red led (MBW) from Victory Only, I havn't even installed it yet but tried it out with a 12v battery and in the dark it lights up great but with lights on its hard to see. But thats not much different with any lights (especially to other vehicles)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
willorlando said:
Hi, I just got a Victory 2008 Dark Blue Hammer. Sawweeet :)

Have some questions on the MBW Led taillight strip:

How effective does this appear to be compared to the stock lights, aside from appearance. Does the light seems as effective to cars driving in the rear.

Also, which color would you recommended for my Blue paint. I was thinking the light smoke, but seeing a blue bike would be helpful.

Thanks
I've got the clear on my 08 Hammer and they work great. Been riding this bike for a year here in AZ and I've had no problem. At night the are very bright and look sooooo cool. I hated the license plate holder and the large turn signals. The big a$$ back end looks great with the side mounted plate bracket and the LED turn signals. My Hammer has been great to ride and to date no mechanical issues to report. There is some backfire when first setting out, but after a few miles this seems to clear up. Love my Hammer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
I've had several and love the look which is why I've put up with 3 all cracking the cross support. I had all three do it and the one on now is electrical taped since I'm tired of changing it. Still love the look. As for effectiveness, the light smoked are very hard to see in daylight but acceptable at night. Clear is much more effective, and safer in either color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Need some help guys, I just installed the MBW LED tail light strip (looks awesome) and now the flash rate has doubled, almost like there is a bulb blown. Not sure what I did, the four ways keeps the original flash rate, and the auto cancel still works. Any help would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,131 Posts
byronplume said:
Need some help guys, I just installed the MBW LED tail light strip (looks awesome) and now the flash rate has doubled, almost like there is a bulb blown. Not sure what I did, the four ways keeps the original flash rate, and the auto cancel still works. Any help would be appreciated.
Since the led's use so much less wattage than a standard bulb your system is reading resistance as if you have a bulb out. You need to add a load equalizer and your blink rate will return to normal.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top