VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of you fellows on here have probably read my last few posts on trying to decide which Cross bike to get. I love both of them for different reasons.

At first I was kind of leaning more towards the Cross Country because it might be more highway friendly but now I'm not so sure. The Cross Roads is kind of like the red-headed step child so far but it looks like it might start getting more of the attention that it deserves. It won "Bike of the year" at the 2010 V-Twin Awards! That's got to be saying something, right?

I do like the idea of popping off the windshield when it's really nice out and doing this also changes the look of the bike in a pretty radical way too IMHO and it's a different riding experience when the windshield is off.

Then there's the cost savings too, I mean I can get a lot of extra goodies put on a Cross Roads with the money that I save by not buying the Cross Country. Like a touring seat (which is heated) for our cool Canadian weather, heated grips, quick detach passenger backrest, etc...

The Cross Roads is a beautiful looking bike, simple, sexy and quite versatile.

Heck, I would probably add the cruise control option too. What's the deal on having a tach kit? I've never used a tach before, is it something very useful or more of a cool add-on?

I got my local Victory dealer to price me a Cross Roads in solid midnight cherry with the passenger backrest and the price isn't all that bad but the prices he quoted me for a bunch of other Victory accessories were all full list price, so unless he can shave a bit off those prices, I wouldn't order much else other then a passenger backrest for now.

I find that the price for the bike is great but they kind of rape you on the accessories, I hope that there will be lots of after-market accessories available soon that are priced more reasonably.

Anyway, the Cross Roads is a fabulous bike. My wife prefers the look of it over the Cross Country (she hates the look of a batwing).

The other up side to going after a Cross Roads is that they might be easier to score then a Cross Country which is so highly in demand right now that they might require a bit of a waiting period.

I think that the Cross Roads is the 'sleeper bike" and might start taking off soon. What do you guys think?

BTW, are there any pictures out there of a Cross Roads with its windshield removed? I'll bet that that looks pretty hot! 8^)

·
Registered
814 Posts

Anyway, the Cross Roads is a fabulous bike. My wife prefers the look of it over the Cross Country (she hates the look of a batwing).
I must say, I tend to agree with your wife on the look of the "bat wing". I like the idea of the Cross Roads because it incorporates that beautiful back end, the big hard bags, and yet maintains the look of a classic cruiser. Slap the windshield on and you have a serious touring bike.
Can't say that I'd buy one though because I'm still lovin my Vision. Good luck with your decision, and better make one quick that sun is starting to warm things up.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong either way, whatever suits you. The dealers can and will go 15-25% off on the over-priced accessories as well as free install. Best way is to give them an OTD price offer that you feel good at. You will need to get another dealer involved if you want your best price.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks nepper and bikendad,

The problem is that there are very few Victory dealers in the Atlantic provinces, there's this one here in the Moncton, New Brunswick location and the other one is in the neighbouring province of Nova Scotia (appx. 2 1/2 hrs away) and I'm pretty sure that the manager of the Moncton location has his fingers in the dealership in Nova Scotia too, he's from there originally and moved here a few years ago.

So I might not be able to leverage one against the other to try to get a competitive price.

But I can see your point about offering an OTD price and see if they bite.

I know that this guy told me last week that he could maybe deduct 10% off of accessories but this email that I got from him tonight shows full retail price and that's just way too high. If I could get 15-25% off like you suggested, I'd be over the moon! 8^)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts

CR vs.XC - your choice. Me - I'm a batwing & stereo guy. I never had a stereo on my bike for 20+ years. Now, I wouldn't leave home w/ out it!! LOL!! Really.
But, you don't know until you try it. Both are exceptional.
As far as accessories go - to me - "must haves" - passenger back rest & cruise control. Those 300 mile + days get old w/ out cruise control.
I will add - after you try it - the batwing grows on you! It really works. If you go w/ the CR - get a good pair of gloves!!!! Yowza!!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
How important is a radio to you?
If you plan on riding on some long trips you might like having some tunes.
The "Batwing does offer a little more protection as well as easier switching of a windshield if so desired.

I prefer the looks of the CR as well but after having My Vision on some cross country rides i cant see not having a radio.

Its great to get opinions but the ultimate decision will be yours. Either way its a great bike.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
For me I ordered the Cross Roads because I don't like the look of the fairing or the engine guard, but as always it's personal preference and ride what you love!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

I like both, you can't go wrong. I do like riding with tunes!!!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Humbucker said:
Heck, I would probably add the cruise control option too. What's the deal on having a tach kit? I've never used a tach before, is it something very useful or more of a cool add-on?
I would save your money. You put it on look at it for awhile and say...hmmm... How did I ever live without this big tach is my face, I would have never known when to shift.... Two weeks later you never look at it and forget it's there but still think...hmmm... I spent 200 on what???
Tach are great when you have a problem not so useful any other time. But you already have a tach on the XR, so save the maney and buy the lowers...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks dsjr70, that's what I figured. I'll pass on the tach then.

As far as lowers go, I know that they're a great investment because I found that out when I installed some on my Vulcan 1600 Classic last summer, extremely useful! Engine guard chaps are a must too.

But the Victory lowers seem awful pricey for what they are, it seems that somebody mentioned something about Memphis Shades lowers being a lot cheaper and also bigger then the Victory lowers.

BTW, if you guys in the USA think that you're getting nailed on the price of the Victory accessories, it's nowhere near as bad as what they're charging us here in Canada. Our Canadian dollar is quite strong right now but that doesn't seem to help with the pricing for some reason.

The Victory heated grips seem to be priced way high too, I suppose that any heated grips would fit onto the Cross bikes' handlebars? They're just standard size handlebars aren't they?

I would also like to install a light bar at some point but Victory will have to go back to the drawing board and design something that matches that stylish headlight that's on the Cross Roads, the Victory light bar in the catalog just has regular shaped lights and it doesn't look right next to the CR headlight IMO.

Another thing too, since it's fairly cold up here in Atlantic Canada for much of the riding season, is there such a thing as an affordable small heated blanket/pad that could be placed on top of the Cross Roads' seat? I'd like to get the "touring seat" which is heated but it's $750.00 (Canadian $)!

I guess that it would make too much sense to allow a buyer to order the bike with the touring seat already installed from the factory? I suppose that they only sell the bike with the stock unheated seat and then you end up taking that off and putting on a heated seat. Wouldn't it be less wasteful and ultimately cheaper to just not put the stock seat on there in the first place(if you don't need it) and just charge the customer a somewhat reduced price for the heated seat? Otherwise , there's going to be a pile of unused stock seats sitting in peoples' garages, let's save the planet! 8^)

Just for fun, I emailed a Victory dealer in the Province next door to us and he quoted me A LOT higher price for the Cross Roads, full retail price, I won't bother trying to deal with them.

The Victory dealer in my town did offer me a decent enough price on the Cross Roads bike itself in solid midnight cherry but quoted me full retail on any accessories, he's either going to have to knock off 15% or so of those accessories or I'll order the bike with only a passenger backrest and look to the aftermarket for anything else.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Well, that's why they make both models. Let the buyer decide. I do think you get a lot on the Cross Country for the price difference of the two. For me, I'll take the Cross Country as I'm a fan of cruise control, the radio and the rear boards.

All the best,

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.