VOG Forum banner

Maybe of interest to Veterans.....

792 4
I do not understand this one bit, it should be classified as a very serious crime and the perpetrators given very harsh penalties....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
That seriously puts some grit in my gears. We have a phenomenon here in the states called 'Stolen Valor'. People pretending to be something they aren't for who knows what reason.. wearing uniforms and medals and such they haven't earned. Sometimes it's to get respect they haven't earned.. other times for gain, like cheaper tickets or 'veterans appreciation' deals. There is a whole series of videos online of these questionable individuals being called out. Usually it's a current servicemember that calls them out. It is against the law.. but it should carry a heavier penalty if you ask me. Better yet, these pieces of **** ought to be drafted in and let them EARN what they've stolen. I think thats most fitting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm glad that I have never come across anybody that is blatantly wearing a uniform that they didn't earn. In conversations with guys it usually come sup that I'm a Marine, which almost always results in the other guy going into some sort of pissing contest with me trying to trump up their service. Met a kid once that claimed that he was in the army for 18 months and during that span managed to be a sniper, green beret and do a tour overseas, claimed that he was in the prone with his rifle on a tank when the main gun fired and it caused him to be deaf in one ear. That's about as close to "stolen valor" that I've ever come, and that was more comical to me than anything. Why do people need to lie to try to fabricate some story, to impress others? To validate their existence? I don't know. I just hope it stops.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a phenomenon here in the states called 'Stolen Valor'. People pretending to be something they aren't for who knows what reason.
It is not just an American happening and has been happening here for quite a lot of years as well..... I had a friend of mine only a couple of years back call out a fellow at an ANZAC day morning at the cenotaph dawn service. That friend did time in Viet Nam and earned every medal he wears on that day, but the other bloke just slunk away.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.