Maximus Tuner lets get started | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Maximus Tuner lets get started

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Geobob, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    88 Yamaha Venture, 07 Vstar 1300, 13 GSXR 750, 82 Honda CBX, 79 Turbocharge EFI CBX
    I decided to try and learn how to work with the Maximus Tuner myself so I ordered the TRO2 Wideband System along with the tuner and see what we have to start with. I have to credit Sean with Hammer Steel Performance for encouraging me to take this route. So let the fun begin LOL. Now how do you plug this thing in and turn it on?

So the plan is to start by taking a look at the stock map and how it looks through the eyes of the wideband O2 sensors. I have modified the exhaust a little (thanks to the Ragin Cagin) but otherwise the bike is stock. I have a Lloyds air filter but have not installed it yet nor have I purchase a set of cams.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Awesome, it sounds like you're in for some fun. Are you looking at this with the Vision that's in your avatar picture? There isn't a Victory listed in your signature.

PS-Do you still have the Honda CBX? I always thought that engine was awesome.

3. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

88 Yamaha Venture, 07 Vstar 1300, 13 GSXR 750, 82 Honda CBX, 79 Turbocharge EFI CBX
    Yes that is the Vision. She is amazing and so is the bike LOL. Yes the real reason for learning the Fuel Injection system tuning is for the CBX. It is turbocharged and fuel injected and the computer and software is 20 years old. I need to put a new system on the bike and need to learn how to tune a modern system.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs Active Member

2016 Victory Vegas
    This may help...

GinkoSmart.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

I got as far as putting the bike up on the stand and put a open end wrench on the rear O2 sensor. From what I felt that thing is not coming off without removing the pipe from the bike. Anyone have any experience removing these. Will running the bike to heat them up help?

6. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
  7. TwoManyXS1Bs

2016 Victory Vegas
    I think so.

Been mixing it up with this stuff.

20210317_011556.jpg

At our age, aren't we supposed to be half blind and senile?

My last vision test remained at 20/15,
    Insomnia and wild dreams.
    Must be the 'schrooms.

Geobob, have you read thru all the threads with "Maximus"?

8. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

No I am sure i have not read all of what is on here about this tuner. I have done enough to figure out that I need to get the wideband O2 sensor installed which requires getting the stock ones off. It looks like I have a 22mm wrench on there and its not really moving. I am ready to cut the wire and try and impact socket with an extension. Getting the pipes off to remove the sensors will likely take me all day and then I will want to clean this and that and it will be a month long project.

9. TwoManyXS1Bs

2016 Victory Vegas
    Geobob, those O2 sensors were (supposedly) installed with anti-sieze, but have likely taken a set (as usual), and will need a 6-point type wrench. I used one of these 7/8" O2 flexy-wrench things.

O2-Wrench.jpg

I had to grind the slot a bit more open, to fit over the O2 body. Not a problem, the wrench head is quite stout.
    You'll want to unplug the speedo sensor, its connector and wiring get in the way. To get good leverage on the rear O2 sensor, I came at it from the bike's right side. A smart rap on the handle snapped the O2 sensor loose. After getting them loosened up, servicing the O2 sensors is much easier. It's just that initial "set" you have to break free.

Well, that was for my Vegas. Not sure about other Victory types. Sometimes gotta get creative...

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. JamesBond

JamesBond Well-Known Member

2015 Magnum/ 2005 Big Dog Chopper
    @Geobob Run the engine for 10 minutes to get it hot first to break it loose, if you don't have a good heat gun or torch....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

Great advice. Just what I was looking for. I had no idea they made a specific took for the O2 removal. I guess I am not the first person to be faced with this issue. I will try the heat gun and running the bike now so I know if I need to order the wrench. Looks like a tool I should have in my collection regardless. Once again these forums can make all the difference in the world. Allows us novice mechanics to get in way over our heads.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

Guess what, you can barrow the O2 removal tools from Advanced Auto Parts. I am in that store every day that I am home and working on something.

13. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

So we have learned several things today. There are special tools for removing O2 sensors. They are not expensive and you can barrow them. Unfortunately we have also learned that if you have reverse you are probably going to have to at least remove the motor ect. to get at the rear sensor. The heat gun seamed to allow for movement but you really can't get in there to remove it. Maybe it can be removed but they clearly did not make it easy. Really not that big of a deal in the big picture but if you think you are just going to have a remote tune done you are going to have to do this part yourself. I can see this driving up the cost of a live dyno tune. I don't see how you could monitor the front and back cylinders desperately without going through these existing fittings. A local tuner mentioned something about attaching a sensor to the exhaust but I think these collect and then separate.

• Like Like x 1
  14. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    @Geobob don’t cut the O2 wires, just unhook them. There is a connector about 10” or so down the wire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. waterhog

waterhog Well-Known Member

'16 Victory Vegas
    Yea, an option on the dyno but not when street tuning with Maximus. I would second TwoMany on searching the threads. It’ll save you time. And maybe get some ginkgo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1