Maximus or Power Vision CX | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Maximus or Power Vision CX

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by mcooper, Jul 26, 2017.

1. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    CAUTION....IN 6th GEAR TOO! :dance:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hookie

Hookie New Member

2010 victory jackpot

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Hookie

Hookie New Member

2010 victory jackpot
    Hi, For anyone interested, l have just purchased a Vision CX for my 2015 Hammer S and set about flashing a DJT file. I have not read every comment on this unit on The, so sorry if l am repeating things already covered. For a start, Dynojet have shot themselves in the foot. They obviously were in a hurry to get this unit in the market place. As a result there is very little detailed information available apart from a couple of videos on their web site and a few YouTube videos, all of which are a bit confusing. The information that comes with the unit is basic. There are no detailed instructions, troubleshooting info etc. Having said this, once you make contact with their sales team you get very good support and you need it. I probably contacted Dynojet twenty times with various questions, all of which were answered quickly and in detail. Could not have been better support. Only problem is that they are in Las Vegas and l am in UK, 8hrs difference.
    I think Dynojet have had problems with the .djt files pre loaded on the various units. As a result most if not all of these files dont work. You therefore have to send the ECU info from your bike to their tech section. They are then able to select a tune file to suit your ECU and the particular mods. With regards to my bike there were 3 No CX unit model No's that are compatible with my bike. The actual software loaded in each unit is not important, as you have to download the latest firmware off their web site and get the correct .djt file directly from Tech section. The only thing that matters is the hardware. In real terms, this means the cable. This must be the correct plug to suit your ECU socket. Now, having said all this, it is possible that the latest units do have some files that can be flashed directly from the unit, provided the unit is the correct one for your model and year. Because l was unable to get a CX unit for my 2015 Hammer locally l used a Indian 111 unit. I could have used an Octane as well. These are model No's PV-29002, PV-09001 and PV-09002. I now believe that the PV-29002 (lndian unit) has different ECU pin positions for switchable key power supply. So it is import that you get the correct plug, apart from this l think you will find all units will work with any bikes. I believe Dynojet are in the process of sorting the lack of tech info for this unit. Also, these units can display a lot of engine parameters directly from the ECU in real time and display them on the unit screen, if fitted to the bike. This, for me, is great for critical engine temperature. Most of my biking is in Spain, 35-40 C max temps. I had a stage 1 upgrade with x bow pipes fitted to my bike. The bike was very restricted, ran hot and sounded like a pussy cat. I took the original baffles out (10 min job). The baffles are ridiculously long. I replaced them with an 8 inch long baffle which is 45mm dia as opposed to the actual internal 66mm dia of the exhaust pipe. Fantastic sound, deep and throatly. Could not be better, changes the whole character of the bike. Dynojet sent me a .djt file to suit my basic mods, exhaust and stage 1 filter. The difference between stage 1 .stk file and the .djt file on a Dyno was an increase of 10 Bhp and 12Nm torque. The rideability of the bike has improved noticably, especially torque below 2000 rpm. All things considered a very satisfactory result. I may go back to the .stk file to see whether l am fooling myself or it really is as good as it feels. You can install a few .djt files on the unit, and change from one to another. Say for high attitude ridings. I am not suggesting that the djt file installed could not be improved, it probably could, but l am happy with what l have for the time being.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  4. SemperVee

SemperVee Active Member

12 RED CCT
    Dobeck Gen3 EJK and a temporary Innova Digital AF meter and All tuned in with no hiccups... AND I know I am fueled correctly reading the Air Fuel meter under load. *Cheap fix. Runs great. Smile - No need to make this more difficult.

5. Andytwodogs

Andytwodogs Well-Known Member

'15 Cross Country LE
    Your .stk file is your base file, and as you would be aware it must stay on the unit even though you chop and change the .djt file. I am not aware how the Maximus operates but with the PVCX any .djt tune you may download must be compatible with your base tune. Having said that, it is (as you indicated) not really an issue as Dynojet will take your base tune and send you back a .djt that will suit.....post haste.

There is a lot of PVCX tuning information here: My Indian Roadmaster Yes, the guy is working with an Indian but it is much the same process on a Victory apart from ride-by-wire and an anti-knock sensor fitted to the 111.

Yes, there is an issue with the lead. I have an earlier Indian model PVCX, which is fine and works perfectly on the 106. Recently they decided to change the power pin (for the 111) so the PVCX will only work with the ignition on. Unfortunately the change meant that the new lead will no longer work with the 106....so it is important for Victory owners to buy the Victory version. The units are identical otherwise.
    A new issue I have found after buying the new WBCX (wideband) kit is that the included lead does not work with the 106....you have to use the original (long) lead from your PVCX kit. The down side to this is that the lead then needs to be unplugged when the bike is switched off as the wideband kit continues to draw power. This is why they changed the lead.....for those wanting to leave the WBCX kit connected on a permanent basis. For those with Victorys wanting to leave the wideband kit on permanently the only current solution is to find a key-on / engine off fused protected circuit and tap into it for a power source.

There is a guy who will very soon be operating a remote tuning service at a very competitive cost for both narrowband and wideband tuning. The narrowband tuning is great for bikes close to stock.....ie without cams....it has achieved excellent results with my '15 XC with TriOvals and a Lloydz filter, and the best part is that the remote tune requires no more than your PVCX and a PC or laptop to email log files and receive new tune files.
    A wideband remote tune will additionally require the WBCX kit (buy or fee for hire).

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ughammer

ughammer Well-Known Member

Hard Ball 2012
    Somehow I don't understand the discussion anymore.
    The cost of the broadband kit is identical to tuning on the test bench.
    My tuner only changed the lambda probes for testing.
    Next year I will install other camshafts and then go back to the test bench.
    I am not a professional to be able to do the voting myself. I'm convinced you can ruin more than positive things.
    It does not matter which model you use.
    You will probably notice the difference only in the professional area (racing) but on the road?
    You can spend a lot of money on a little bit more power that you don't feel anymore but can only measure.
    If I have reached the 180 Nm (132 ifb ft) this is sufficient for the road. When the road is wet, the wheel is already spinning and my top speed was 205 km/h (127 mph).

7. Andytwodogs

'15 Cross Country LE
    The wideband kit yes, is too expensive for the average guy to be bothered with.

For many people, those with intake and exhaust mods or a stock bike, a remote narrowband remote tune produces awesome results for not much money. A narrowband tune will produce a vastly better tune than stock, and considerably better than a "canned" tune. I would encourage most people to do this first. The cost of the PVCX, plus around $100USD for the tuning service will be sufficient in most circumstances.

And those who need the more comprehensive tune ie cams will mostly hire the kit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. huberei

huberei Active Member

gunner
    Is it for the official mechanic possible to tell, if there is still a stock ecu-file active on the bike or if its a tuned file from dynojet/maximus?

Is a official stage 1map also ok as a base file or does it have to be the real stock file?

9. Andytwodogs

'15 Cross Country LE
    The .stk file is always on the bike. The .djt file is a file of calculated variables.
    If a .djt file is in the ECU, it is active.
    By official mechanic I assume you mean Victory dealer. Yes, he can tell if there is a .djt on your bike. If you have a warranty issue and the fault has been caused by an owner-modified ECU, you have gone down with the Hindenberg. If you are getting the bike serviced I would think it best to be upfront with it and ask that he leave it alone.....ie no updated factory tune. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that they can tell whether an ECU has been meddled with even if the .djt file is removed beforehand.

• Like Like x 1
  10. huberei

huberei Active Member

gunner
    Ah ok, so the .djt is only somekind of a patch laid over the stock map.
    Thx, that clearifies a lot!

11. Colonnaa

Colonnaa New Member

2015 victory magnum
    I have a 15 magnum and I just bought a DJ cx and so far so good . It’s really easy to use. Do you plug it into your bike download your stock ECM flash and then send it to Dino jet and tell them what mods you have done to your bike and they will send you back a custom tune. I then also asked them about Lloyd‘s timing wheel and they told me that I can adjust my timing from idle using the software that you get on your computer when you buy the dynojet. I then told them that I wasn’t a tuner and not very confident in doing it and so they did it for me and sent me my tune with 4 def advanced timing. No complaints here. That being said I have no experience with Maximus at all.

12. MIC_Rulz

MIC_Rulz Member

Victory Cross Country
    Doing some research here. Sorry for coming in late. The Power Vision CX for the Victory 106 has been discontinued from dynojet dot com.

13. waterhog

waterhog Well-Known Member

'16 Victory Vegas
    You can still buy them from retail stores. For how long is anyone’s guess.

14. Chuckz71

Chuckz71 Member

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour - gloss black
    Old thread, but in case someone searches and finds this thread:
    For comparison reasons (DynoJet PV CX vs TechnoResearch Maximus) follow up, I have connected and linked/married my newly purchased (from WitchDoctors) Maximus to my 2016 XCT (after inserting the O2 sensors black receptacle into the sensor's connector to bring the O2 narrow band sensors into usage) and was able to perform a data log (mobile dyno session). The wide band system is in transit to me, and so will make the data log feature usable. The selection to use the motorcycles (narrow band Lambda) O2 sensors doesn't allow the recording, or even showing their readings! What a huge disappointment, as the ECU reads the bike's O2 sensors, so that data must be available. I wonder if it has something to do with possibly a faster update rate for the Lambda sensors and so a data log will be too big for the Maximus internal storage (if the wide band O2 is sampled at a lower rate). It seems Maximus only allows Narrow band recording/tuning for Harley models... (this is a common occurance with many features of the Maximus/Direct Link capabilities).

On a related note, I'm not really pleased with the Maximus interface and abilities compared to HP Tuners (none motorcycle tuner). Most of the instructions are different than the current version of the software shows, and pertain almost exclusively to Harley tuning, with few notes indicating that feature isn't allowed for Victory (indications are generally by greyed out/non-select-able buttons). I also experienced a few failures to write on the first attempt. While the downloaded TechnoResearch Direct Link software comes with a base and Stage 1 tune for most years and models, the Maximus/Direct Link doesn't allow to backup (or save off) the factory map prior to overwriting. (I was quite uneasy overwriting my factory tune, in the case that the provided tune is not the same as a factory map).

Not that I can find a PV CX, and now that I've purchased the Maximus and TRO2 Wide band system I'm not switching, but out of curiosity, can anyone confirm the PV CX can display and record factory narrow band O2 sensors?

(I would think so since it has been said that the PV CX can (to a certain degree) tune using only narrow band O2.)

• Like Like x 1
  15. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Yes. PVCX can log with stock sensors.

Question for you, did you try logging AFTER marrying and flashing the bike?

While the PVCX does indeed save the stock tune it will not display any data or log anything until after you perform a flash. Even if it's just flashing the stock tune again. I think they do something to the tune to allow data logging. The Maximus might be similar.