Making adjustments in a Maximus tune | Page 8 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Making adjustments in a Maximus tune

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by wickman, Apr 22, 2019.

1. bambamrl

bambamrl New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Highball
    Got my maximus delivered. Called techno research. Told me they only carry a base map and a stage 1 map. Will try the stage 1 map when i get back home.

2. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Active Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    Call Noemtz designs, he’ll hook ya up with a great remote tune. He’s absolutely the best @ it, he lives for Vics & is just a great dude to boot!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. patrick aube

patrick aube New Member

2016 CCT
    Just got a 2016 CCT came with a maximus tuner the guy hadn't used yet... I put in a lloyds air filter and it had tri-ovals... when i connected the maximus it only had 2 maps for stage 1 that loaded... i tried one and it said it was incompatible so i used the other one...the difference wasn't really what i was hoping for...do all the maximus maps make adjustments below 2500 rpm... the bike had a lloydz timing wheel (which i took off because i read maximus makes adjustments in the lower RPM timing and the bike came with the original parts)... the bike had more torque with the timing wheel than it now does with the flashed stage 1 map from maximus... does anyone have a map for CCT 2016, tri oval slip ons, lloyds air filter? seriously considering contacting Noemtz but i am also thinking about lloyds cam upgrade first... thx

• Like Like x 2
  4. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Definitely go with noemtz for a full tune job if you have no local shop that can do it.

Stock tune wouldn't have the timing addition from the wheel so performance would suffer.

5. patrick aube

patrick aube New Member

2016 CCT
    Thx

6. wickman

wickman Active Member

2016 Victory XCT & 2007 KINGPIN
    The canned maps are ****, better to get a map from someone with the same setup , you will be amazed.

7. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Member

Victory Vision tour 2014
    Just as a test just add 4o of timing across the board with the Maximus and test it. I have the PCVX and I have a timing table Lloyd did for me.

interesting enough my original flash tune had no timing adjustments below 2500 all was done above that.

when Lloydz did my table again it was like magic.

8. mande

mande Member

2013 Hammer 8-Ball custom
    Interesting! Can you say a little more about this table or maybe post parts of it?

9. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Member

Victory Vision tour 2014
    Yes I can later today when I get home. You can add or remove timing where ever you want. When I got my Vision Tuned I was asked what I expected. I said just a smooth running bike. That’s what I got.

But I felt I was missing something. So I learned the basics of the software for the pcvx and when I opened the map I noticed all the timing was done above 2500, everything below was stock.

this got my curiosity so I changed the timing tables to stock and just added. 4o of timing everywhere Just to test my gut feeling . AKA the start point with timing wheel .Bam it performed completely different .

I saved it as a different map and realized that now I need to change fueling because timing effects it. I could only guess and did not want to go there.

so I went to Lloydz and he did my fueling with PCV and built me a new timing table with the PCVX flash tuner.
    So now I have a very aggressive feel and quicker taking off.

I have spoken to several riders and they like this combination of tuning because there are more tuners able to tune PCV if I ever needed. It’s simple easier. Not withstanding the concerns many have of PCV failures. The term was coined as a hybrid tune.
    But it mimicked what Lloyd did. Flash the ecu and tune with PCV. Only difference is no need for timing wheel.

I tried to copy the PCV map on the flash tuner and for the most part it worked well.
    I stayed with fueling with PCV and everything else with the pcvx.

I will send you the tables privately later today. They are not all +4o

• Like Like x 1
  10. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Member

Victory Vision tour 2014
    these are the timing maps Lloydz made me
    upload_2020-9-16_15-58-4.png
    upload_2020-9-16_15-58-36.png
    it is no secret, it is basically +3o every where from stock timing, sorry I could not make it any clearer.
    This is interesting because when I was using a timing wheel on occasion My Vision did not like +4o in certain conditions.

I eventually ended up with +2o but that's because I was limited with the tuner I had at the time and could not compensate. I recall Him showing me on the dyno that if you over fuel the bike can tolerate a bit more timing. I will post my PCV map later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Member

Victory Vision tour 2014
    upload_2020-9-16_16-17-21.png upload_2020-9-16_16-17-32.png

12. mande

mande Member

2013 Hammer 8-Ball custom
    Many thanks for the interesting information. I have not yet known this hybrid strategy. I think it is also based on the fact that many tuners are not familiar with the PVCX. From the functionality point of view I see no reason why the PCV and the PVCX should be used. I used this hybrid strategy together with Craig Bennett when the PVCX could not log data, PCV and PVCX and the laptop with the Power Core software suite in the backpack, two USB cables as connection. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Member

Victory Vision tour 2014
    I was able to open the PCV map with power core but have not been able to just import it and use it as a map. I am however cell by cell working on emulating the PCV map I posted on the PCVX and work from there. My Vision runs much more powerful with the PCV map than the Flash tune I got done.

The dyno end results are almost identical though. No time for this though my Golf game sucks A$$ have to work on it.

14. waterhog

waterhog Well-Known Member

'16 Victory Vegas
    Thanks for sharing.

A reminder that motorcycle tuning is a piece of cake compared to golf. Spend a few hours tuning, you'll have something to show for it. Spend years hacking away, not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1