Making adjustments in a Maximus tune | Page 7 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Making adjustments in a Maximus tune

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by wickman, Apr 22, 2019.

1. azleatherneck

azleatherneck New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 XC
    13XC Llydz Air, Ness Big Honkers and Llydz DR-1 (501) Cams. So with the help of wickman i got a good tune map for a Stage 1 XC and it ran pretty well even with my cams in. Yesterday I did alot of logging (About 50 miles) under all conditions with the Technoresearch wide-band sniffer and wanted to report back info that I could not find nor would anyone really hint at. I was very surprised to see the results of the VEs with cams verses stock. I will attach a screenshot of the ballpark Delta to help people out who find themselves in the same boat I was. This is the DELTA from a GREAT stage 1 tune verses what the sniffer adjusted to my cams. Both front and rear jugs were close so you can use this across the board. This will NOT get you to a "Tuned" bike it will give you an idea of what to adjust to ride in the ballpark until you get to a tuner OR a sniffer and adjust for your bike. Also there is some smoothing that I did after but this gives a good idea where the changes are. The "Magic" the remote tuners are using is some smoothing scripts that are being applied to your logging that do a MUCH better prediction of cells missed when you logged. Do they do a great job tuning, seem to BUT a DYI guy (or gal) can do just as well if you take your time and learn. The only part that I will say needs to be done on a DYNO if you want to squeeze every drop of performance out is your timing curve. The butt Dyno and your ear will only get you close you really have no way of knowing what the timing changes do power wise without a Dyno I dont care what remote tuners say. Also make sure you find a road you can ride like an idiot on because to hit as many cells as possible you will need to ride VERY different than normal. You will want to do full throttle runs fast and slow, back off slowly from full throttle etc.

Another pointer set your REV limit 200 higher than what ever you want to run in your final tune because if you do not your logging at redline will not be reliable because your bike will bounce off the rev limiter and cause wonky readings.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    "The only part that I will say needs to be done on a DYNO if you want to squeeze every drop of performance out is your timing curve."

That is the Understatement of the year, the TIMING CURVE is a key ingredient to the tune. It not only affects Torque curve and Horsepower but the AFR as well. As you increase timing you very often need to add fuel and vice versa.

3. azleatherneck

azleatherneck New Member

2013 XC
    I agree 100, however if you log with standard timing to get your VEs close then just replicate what the timing gear does and apply 4 deg of timing then log again and adjust you have just done what the PC5 timing wheel crowd have been doing for the last few years. My timing curve is WAY outside of the wheel I have 10-12 deg in some of the upper RPM values without detonation. Ill still be going up to Trask in the next few months but for now I have a very ride-able scoot that is on target for AFRs timing is "OK" gets 40-43 MPG 2 up at 85mph and runs cooler. Getting to a tuner is now on MY timeline and that was the goal from day one, I never intended to skip paying a pro to get it dialed in "perfect" but I can safely ride and enjoy without hunting around for a tuner because I dont want to ride an untuned bike that could be causeing long or short term damage. Plus I got to learn the Maximus and do some data logging with widebands. When I go to a 2 to 1 I have what I need to get retuned on my own as well as any other mods I may do, I can get close enough to ride and see a tuner when I want to

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 350chevyguy

350chevyguy New Member

2012 Victory Jackpot

Ive just been tinkering with the Maximus a bit lately with the wideband kit too, are you getting good readings from the o2 sensors, i have custom straight through pipes and it kept wanting more fuel so I’ve been trying a few things with the exhaust so i can get better readings. You might not have any issues with the xc unless they’re straight through’s as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. azleatherneck

azleatherneck New Member

2013 XC
    I am not having issues with the stock pipes however when I did tuning with my HD and had strait pipes it was an issue I was getting alot of reversion, that is expected with a true dual open pipe. 2-1 and the stock 2-1-2 will do the best. What I ended up doing is really ignoring any decel readings or very low RPM data. Widebands will show LEAN AF when you have any reversion, this is one of the reasons a 2-1 does so well performance wise because the scavenging of the other cylinder improves the air flow on the exhaust side.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. MagnumMan

MagnumMan New Member

Victory Magnum

7. MagnumMan

MagnumMan New Member

Victory Magnum

8. MagnumMan

MagnumMan New Member

Victory Magnum
    I have a Maximus on my Magnum and haven't used it. Im installing timing wheel and worried about losing info already in computer from dyno. Is it idiot proof? After bike warms up can I access it and just reset timing?

Can I call you?

9. MagnumMan

MagnumMan New Member

Victory Magnum
    was a manual supposed to come with Maximus tuner?

10. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    You don't want or need a timing wheel with a Maximus tune. You won't loose anything, they just modify some of the AFR and ignition timing settings with the Maximus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. wickman

wickman Active Member

2016 Victory XCT & 2007 KINGPIN
    Once you register the Maximus you will be able to use the Techno Research launcher. The Maximus is not something that stays on your bike although once its connected to your ecu it is then married to that ecu and cannot be used on any other bike. The maximus's only hardware purpose is to allow the ecu to me flashed with a map.
    What year is your Magnum and what mods have you done? No need for the timing wheel with the Maximus tune, playing with fire if you do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bambamrl

bambamrl New Member

Victory Highball
    Hey guys. Just picked up a 13CC. Has Tri-ovals exhaust and Lloyds filter (No Cams). There is decel popping. Ordered the Maximus tuner to try fix this and was wondering If there canned maps i can download so the bike can run a little better for the time being before taking it to a dyno?

13. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Active Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    Am pretty sure can call techno research aka Maximus tech support & they can send u a map. They have **** loads of data from every1 with about every combination known or can call Noemtz for remote Maximus tune as he’s 1 of the very, very best @ remote tuning.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wickman

wickman Active Member

2016 Victory XCT & 2007 KINGPIN
    When you register your maximus and use the Techno Research software there will be a folder with canned maps , the canned maps are junk but will get you going. There are many other options.

15. NOEMTZ

NOEMTZ Well-Known Member

Get with me, I will hook you up and get rid of 99% of your popping.

• Agree Agree x 1