VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maintenance on my wife's Renegade Saturday. Plugs, oil and filter, and air filter. Easy, right? Well, it would be pretty simple, except everything under the hood is either razor sharp or white hot.

Plugs first, cold engine. Spark plugs are NGK Iridium and Advance Auto didn't have them. Went to NAPA and they had them for $16 each. Gap is .028" or the tightest gap ever. The band clamps they use these days on all the hoses have a little excess band sticking out... and they are like little razor blades. I cut the corner off my thumbnail 1st thing. Be careful around those things. The swap itself was easy once you get the shroud off, anti-seize and dielectric grease (why I like to do these things myself) and air filter was easy too, it's right on top of the fender well.

Warm it up to change the oil. The oil filter is a cartridge type, which means removing the housing, replacing the cartridge and replacing the o-ring on the housing. To loosen the housing you need 2 extensions and 2 universal swivels to reach it. Once loose enough, you can get your hand in there to pull it out... all except it's right next to the turbo which is REALLY FREAKIN' HOT.

Maintenance got done... 2 burns and 3 cuts. Next oil change I'm wearing my welding gloves.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Spark plugs are NGK Iridium
She has 100k on that thing already?

Once loose enough, you can get your hand in there to pull it out... all except it's right next to the turbo which is REALLY FREAKIN' HOT.
Makes ya think somewhere there's an engineer who's wife ran off with a mechanic.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I think it's the fact that the fuch nuts that design them, never work on them.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That seams a bit uncalled for. My truck calls for plugs at 100k. I did plugs for the first time on a lady's minivan here at work that had 250k those rear plug were a biatch!
I thought it seemed excessive too. The plugs looked great that came out... but gotta keep the warranty valid and all.

All that crap about the 5.4L Ford Triton and its spark plugs breaking off when you try to take them out. Figured that one out... hit 'em with an impact and they come right out. Plug change in 30 minutes, no breakage.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sh!t… phone rang just now... it seems a guy I used to work with a couple of years ago shot himself last night. Damnit.
I take back any and all complaining. Life is good, demons at bay.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I go against the grain, but I always have changed my oil on a cold engine. Everything goes easier, but the draining does take long enough for a tasty beverage or two.

I thought those Iridium plugs supposed to be drop in with no set and lasted 100k.

Sorry to hear about your old buddy.
Popping himself can have a devastating effect on his family.
Hope they fair well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
wvrider1-you are absolutely right.I know it's not a perfect world but I'd really like to talk to some of these people that design some of these things.And yet you'll never get an answer as to who did.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I go against the grain, but I always have changed my oil on a cold engine. Everything goes easier, but the draining does take long enough for a tasty beverage or two.
I think the thing to do is warm it up, drain the oil, and then let it cool off before doing the filter and filling. The filter is upside down, so there's very little oil in the housing.

I thought those Iridium plugs supposed to be drop in with no set and lasted 100k.
I have heard stories of the warranty being voided because the plugs were not changed regularly. There have been some issues with the Jeep engines (the 2.4 is apparently crap, but this one is a 1.4 Turbo). If they recommend changing them, I'll do it.

I'm old school and anal about stuff... I check/set the gap... old habits die hard.
Sorry to hear about your old buddy.
Popping himself can have a devastating effect on his family.
Hope they fair well.
Thanx... it just doesn't seem like him to do that. He was such a go-getter, ya know? Knowledgeable and talented guy. It doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wvrider1-you are absolutely right.I know it's not a perfect world but I'd really like to talk to some of these people that design some of these things.And yet you'll never get an answer as to who did.
Changing the oil in the bike and Doyle shows up (long time Harley rider). "The oil filter is right there!?".
Gave me a chuckle… When you change the oil in a Harley you WILL make a mess. The oil filter is above things. The best thing to do is hose that area down with brake clean when you're done.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
@Half_Crazy Sorry to hear about your friend, a question about people taking there own life, do they get a grave stone ?

One of my best friend hanged himself a few years ago and when i tried to look for his grave there was no "stone" a older lady explained to me how that worked in small village's ...

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Half_Crazy Sorry to hear about your friend, a question about people taking there own life, do they get a grave stone ?

One of my best friend hanged himself a few years ago and when i tried to look for his grave there was no "stone" a older lady explained to me how that worked in small village's ...
I guess it depends on what the family wants.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I think the thing to do is warm it up, drain the oil, and then let it cool off before doing the filter and filling. The filter is upside down, so there's very little oil in the housing.

I have heard stories of the warranty being voided because the plugs were not changed regularly. There have been some issues with the Jeep engines (the 2.4 is apparently crap, but this one is a 1.4 Turbo). If they recommend changing them, I'll do it.

I'm old school and anal about stuff... I check/set the gap... old habits die hard.

Thanx... it just doesn't seem like him to do that. He was such a go-getter, ya know? Knowledgeable and talented guy. It doesn't make any sense.
I would argue the 1.4 turbo is the "crap" one. Less HP than the 2.4l naturally aspirated and there are 100's of thousands of 2.4's on the roads today from Chrysler with lots of miles on them. That's not to say both motors are coupled to crappy drivetrains which exhibit no sense of urgency to do anything. Good news is when they get in snow they can't spin the tires I suppose. If you are changing plugs at 15K miles that's a problem in my book and they are covering up something.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I would argue the 1.4 turbo is the "crap" one. Less HP than the 2.4l naturally aspirated and there are 100's of thousands of 2.4's on the roads today from Chrysler with lots of miles on them. That's not to say both motors are coupled to crappy drivetrains which exhibit no sense of urgency to do anything. Good news is when they get in snow they can't spin the tires I suppose. If you are changing plugs at 15K miles that's a problem in my book and they are covering up something.
I am a member of some forums for these Fiat/Jeeps. There are numerous complaints and failures reported on the 2.4L engine and the 9 speed automatic transmission. I have seen none of those with the 1.4L Turbo/6-speed manual.

The 1.4 Turbo has 160 HP and 184 ft-lbs.
The 2.4 has 180 HP and 175 ft-lbs.

The 2.4 engine has been known to dispose of it's oil supply and grenade. They are being replaced under warranty. This has occurred in as little as 11K miles. Not good. They sound like they are coming apart at idle... engine noise is terrible.

No choice for me... Puss won't drive an automatic and the 2.4 is not available with a manual transmission. Glad of it though after hearing about all the oil consumption/loss of compression/shutting off when you turn. No thanx. The little turbo engine seems to be fine.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
"Got the vehicle in 02/2018 and by 09/2018 it was burning a lot of oil. I would take the car in for oil changes and the shops would tell me I barely had any oil in the car. I then started doing my own oil changes thinking maybe the shops were not putting enough in to cut corners, and I had the same result. Then the stalling in traffic started to happen. I had a minor accident due to a stall where a person bumped my rear end on the highway because my car lost power.

Took the car in to the shop they charged me for an oil change to do an oils consumption test. In 2000 miles the car burned enough oil to not show up on the stick. The dealership is replacing the engine. I was assured the engine they are putting in has had the oil issue resolved. We will see."

One of numerous just like it on the 2.4L.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I'm not a fan of these little turbo engines these days. I haven't pulled an intercooler off that didn't have oil in it lately. The bowties seam to be the worst. I've done 2 Fiat front hits and they both had oil in the cooler.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In 2000 miles the car burned enough oil to not show up on the stick.
Sounds like the new guy was lining the groves on the rings up instead of staggering them?
I'm not a fan of these little turbo engines these days. I haven't pulled an intercooler off that didn't have oil in it lately. The bowties seam to be the worst. I've done 2 Fiat front hits and they both had oil in the cooler.
The 2.4 being naturally aspirated won't have oil in the intercooler. They all swear there is no leakage and their garage floors are spotless… You would think if it was burning that much oil it would smoke.

My little 1.4 Turbo hasn't used any oil yet. Whenever I check it, it's full.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.