VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a set of saddlebag lid tethers out of some small cable and ring terminals and they work ok but after the terminal ends bend a few times they break. I accidentally rode off one day with one of my lids open and I know that would be hard on the hinges so I made the ones I spoke about above. Does anyone make a retractable one for our bikes?

·
Super Moderator
26,107 Posts
The one on my 13 Vision trunk was down to a few threads so I removed it before it broke completely. I then replaced it with a short piece of 550 cord. I was going to replace it with another OEM coil, I even have one on my 08 trunk I removed, but I found I really like the 550 cord. Cheap, easy, and plenty strong.

Maybe that will work for you for now.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Why not just ensure they are clipped before riding? The only reason I lost a pair of rain gloves blowing out from my saddlebag was because I didn't ensure to hear the click of the latch and pull up on the lid to make sure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Similar to the ones I made except mine are the small stainless aircraft cables. I used the wire lugs on mine too but after having the open load pulling on them several times they break, they are just aluminum wire lugs.Maybe I'll loop them and then butt spice them . I try to make sure the lids are closed but I really don't want the lids to open and have all the pressure on the hinges, can't be good on them.

Here is my home made one...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why not just ensure they are clipped before riding? The only reason I lost a pair of rain gloves blowing out from my saddlebag was because I didn't ensure to hear the click of the latch and pull up on the lid to make sure.
I'm OCD about checking my lids. Didn't help when one opened in the freeway and I lost a hoodie. Happened multiple times to me and when I lent my buddy my bike. Hasn't happened since adding the tethers and speaker lids, might be from the extra weight or from the adjustment on the latch mechanism

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just looped a small bungee around the screw in bag latch to a spot on the lid lock on my 2014 XC. Would be easier even with the old qtr turn pins as they had rings. Mainly because the supposed recall on the locks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine were only open one time but that worried me that it would break the hinges. I was sitting at a red light and the lady behind me kept blowing her horn, I looked back at her a couple times and she finally yelled out her window that my left saddlebag lid was open. Not sure how long I had ridden with it open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I made a set of saddlebag lid tethers out of some small cable and ring terminals and they work ok but after the terminal ends bend a few times they break. I accidentally rode off one day with one of my lids open and I know that would be hard on the hinges so I made the ones I spoke about above. Does anyone make a retractable one for our bikes?
they aren't retractable but work great

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.