VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one from WD before I took delivery of my new bike. Used it religiously after the first 500 mile oil change. Even though I was using the soft aluminum Goldwing washers, the copper ones are crap like the company that sells them, I still had to torque it a bit to prevent the drip-drip.

Well it was oil change time today and trying to remove the drain bolt using the hex hole and hex socket, the hole edges were rounded off. I then used an open end wrench to remove it and tossed it into the trash bag. Just prior to tossing it I compared the hex holes of the OEM bolt and the magnetic one. The OEM bolt has a hex hole twice as deep which offers much more grab when torquing it in and especially to remove it. It also has a tapered shank between the underside of the head and the shaft. The magnetic one doesn’t which creates problems trying to get a dripless seal. I also feel that the OEM bolt is made of much harder steel and much better machining quality.

Time to ride now. Have been planning a trip to Sturgis this Aug but my buddy had a heart attack early Sat morning. He’s doing just fine but the trip is cancelled. We’ll plan on attending next Aug.
That’s all folks!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I bought one from WD before I took delivery of my new bike. Used it religiously after the first 500 mile oil change. Even though I was using the soft aluminum Goldwing washers, the copper ones are crap like the company that sells them, I still had to torque it a bit to prevent the drip-drip.

Well it was oil change time today and trying to remove the drain bolt using the hex hole and hex socket, the hole edges were rounded off. I then used an open end wrench to remove it and tossed it into the trash bag. Just prior to tossing it I compared the hex holes of the OEM bolt and the magnetic one. The OEM bolt has a hex hole twice as deep which offers much more grab when torquing it in and especially to remove it. It also has a tapered shank between the underside of the head and the shaft. The magnetic one doesn't which creates problems trying to get a dripless seal. I also feel that the OEM bolt is made of much harder steel and much better machining quality.

Time to ride now. Have been planning a trip to Sturgis this Aug but my buddy had a heart attack early Sat morning. He's doing just fine but the trip is cancelled. We'll plan on attending next Aug.
That's all folks!
Speedy healing for your friend. He's more important than any ride.
I've never been a fan of some of the cheap m magnetic plugs running around. Hard to come about quality products these days

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your kind words about my friend of 44 yrs. What I failed to mention was something even more dire at the end of the oil change and everything all cleaned up and put away. I somehow forgot (brain fart) to screw in the dipstick so when I started the engine, I was wondering what all that brown fluid was spraying from the bike. What a bejeezus mess. After mopping it up with 3 old hand towels, it was good to go again. WTF??

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thank you for your kind words about my friend of 44 yrs. What I failed to mention was something even more dire at the end of the oil change and everything all cleaned up and put away. I somehow forgot (brain fart) to screw in the dipstick so when I started the engine, I was wondering what all that brown fluid was spraying from the bike. What a bejeezus mess. After mopping it up with 3 old hand towels, it was good to go again. WTF??
Lol. We have all had our WTF moments trust me.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Oil pressure check. :biggrin:

Best wishes to your friend.

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
Yep ..... remember my first VIc oil change ! An Oh Sheet moment for sure !
Hope your gets well soon.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Sounds like the makings of a T Shirt. "I ride with a dipstick".......arrow pointing right.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
At least it was in the shop.
Did the same thing years ago on a Guzzi then went for a ride.
Started smelling hot oil.
Left boot & pant leg covered with oil.

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
You could also use a K&P oil filter. They have a magnet built into the filter.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could also use a K&P oil filter. They have a magnet built into the filter.
Would putting a strong magnet on the filter case itself work? If so where is the best location? The magnets in hard drives are incredibly strong."

Love that t-shirt suggestion "I ride with a dipstick"

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Put some rare earth magnets around your oil filter or on the end of it. It/they will trap the metal magnetic particles too small to be trapped by the filter. Looks like sludge.

FWIW; the Dimple is the best magnetic drain plug on the market that I've personally seen but they ain't cheap at $35.

Magnetic Drain Plugs for Indian/Victory Motorcycles

The oil filter trick works just as well, you don't have to clean the plug, and it's a lot cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...nch&sprefix=rare+e,aps,464&crid=2G4ERDT5XD991

·
Registered
865 Posts
Put some rare earth magnets around your oil filter or on the end of it. It/they will trap the metal magnetic particles too small to be trapped by the filter. L
Ok call me dumb. How you clear them? Just not visualizing this late in the evening

·
Registered
865 Posts
You put the magnets on the outside of the oil filter then when you put a new filter on you move the magnets to the new filter. Any gunk it capturers is inside the oil filter you throw away.
Ah, on the filter

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Ah, on the filter
Yeah; my brain doesn't work so well late at night when I'm tired either. I miss stuff.

I remember when I was going to college (just Jr. college) one of my instructors said when our brain stops working on the problem, instead of getting frustrated, put it down for the night and try again the next day with a new and fresh outlook. He was right and I remember that lesson to this day. Never did grasp programming language but I still learned something from the class.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Put a rare earth magnet on the drain plug after you install it...It won't fall off until you're ready to take it off, All those nasty little particles will be waiting at the bottom of the drain plug when you drain the oil.
I like this thought. This way you can monitor and compare any wear that has increased between oil changes.

Reactions: snobnd

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah; my brain doesn't work so well late at night when I'm tired either. I miss stuff.

I remember when I was going to college (just Jr. college) one of my instructors said when our brain stops working on the problem, instead of getting frustrated, put it down for the night and try again the next day with a new and fresh outlook. He was right and I remember that lesson to this day. Never did grasp programming language but I still learned something from the class.
Yeah, late nights, pain pills, old age, taking it's toll. Just couldn't visualize what you were doing with the magnets even though it was so simple. I missed hooking them to the filter somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yeah, late nights, pain pills, old age, taking it's toll. Just couldn't visualize what you were doing with the magnets even though it was so simple. I missed hooking them to the filter somewhere along the way.
I question the effectiveness of rare earth magnets for our application after reading up on the properties today. I just about bought a pack of 6 of the little guys. (.5 inch diameter) N52, the highest grade you can easily find. Pull force is about 8lb. Not bad. My concern though is all these readily available rare earth magnets are rated to be full strength only up to 80C (176F) after which irreversible loss of magnetism begins. Seems to me the oil in a Vtwin gets way to hot for any of the commonly available rare earth magnets. For more money and if you do your homework you can find rare earth magnets with an SH designation meaning they can tolerate up to 150C or 305F. Better.

A common ferrite magnet, cheap and easy to find, will tolerate up to 250C or 482F and the one I bought is rated for 25lb pull force. Cost me about 4 bucks US at a hardware store. It came in a chrome case. I'll post a pic shortly.

If you are set on rare earth, here's a ratings table. Pay attention to max working temp value. Thats the temp it starts to lose magnetism. At Currie temp a magnet is permanently demagnetized

View attachment 492697

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.