VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my original baffles from my xbow exhaust cos I like the sound it produced but am loosing out a little on the low down torque that baffles offer . So I decided to make some lollipop baffles . I don't possess a welder so this was all done without welding . I went on ebay and got a motor exhaust company to make two stainless steel exhaust couplers to my spec which was 6 inches long over all . See spec below -

Custom Connector - 65mm OD to 65mm OD with custom length swages
1st Swage 1" Long, 2nd Swage 3" Long, Middle Section 2" Long, 57mm OD.

I bought a couple of stainless steel M8 thumb screws and two M8 s/s thin half lock nuts and two M8 s/s nuts . I then drilled a 7mm hole in the middle of the smaller section and tap threaded to 8mm , I added a nut to the thumb screw then screwed it inside the tube which was quite fiddly but makes the thumb screw more secure . Leave approximately 3mm proud on the outside of the coupling and fit the thin half nut , Tighten both nuts up . Drill a 5mm hole on the 1 inch end of the coupling to secure to your exhaust , tap thread it to 6mm if you do this it makes it very easy to screw in from the outside with no need to fiddle around trying to hold the nut on the inside of the pipe with a spanner .
Its given my exhaust a deeper sound a nice rumble not sure about any gain in the low down torque yet , maybe it has . Im forever the skeptic so not too sure . Perhaps when I go on more journeys I will notice the difference . Any way it can't do any harm .
Hand Finger Auto part Metal Fashion accessory
Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exhaust Cylinder Circle
Automotive tire Rim Automotive lighting Gas Automotive wheel system

Reactions: thefasteddy69

·
Registered
820 Posts
Impressive. Very cool.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hand Automotive lighting Finger Gas Nail
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern
Thunder torque inserts from dk customs worked for me! Easy install and gave me some added torque that I lost with my Trask two into one hot rod exhaust. Oh and the magic KEVINX brings lol.

• Haha
Reactions: boyztoyz

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
NSANE530, it was good talking with ya at kevinx's dyno tune, I was right after you, ( the red cross country) I have the lloydz air,timing gear,and pc5.......and kevin got it from 80 hp/96 TQ.....to 92HP/ 112TQ...and thats with the underdrive pulley......which KeninX said makes the dyno read about 4% lower than bikes with the stock pulley,...The acceleration is very noticeable....and no more back fires!!!!, ....Cant wait for cams and custom 2into1 pipe....BTW I love that torque curve of your dyno, its just about perfect.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thank you it was good talking to you too. I’m really happy how my bike came out also it runs like a whole other bike and no more popping. It was fun, you’ll be very happy with cams.please post what type of exhaust you end up going with I know you were on the fence on which one you wanted.

Reactions: Trimman

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thank you,yea I can definitely feel that curve too! I’m so happy that I went to Arizona to have KEVINX do my cams and tune. I had a love hate relationship with the Trask hot rod exhaust, now I’m definitely back in love with it!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
NSANE530, I keep going back and forth between the CMP pipe or the trask/rusty jones pipe....(same pipe only collector is a little different on the R.JONES pipe vs trask).....However there is a company in tempe,az. called rpmcustomfab.com ...480-390-2927, and they LOVE to make one of a kind, custom exhaust pipes for any kind of motor......so I'm still on the fence, trying to balance between Looks-sound-Preformance,...Same with cams (LSC---or DR....????...still researching

·
Registered
879 Posts
I removed my original baffles from my xbow exhaust cos I like the sound it produced but am loosing out a little on the low down torque that baffles offer . So I decided to make some lollipop baffles . I don't possess a welder so this was all done without welding . I went on ebay and got a motor exhaust company to make two stainless steel exhaust couplers to my spec which was 6 inches long over all . See spec below -

I bought a couple of stainless steel M8 thumb screws and two M8 s/s thin half lock nuts and two M8 s/s nuts . I then drilled a 7mm hole in the middle of the smaller section and tap threaded to 8mm , I added a nut to the thumb screw then screwed it inside the tube which was quite fiddly but makes the thumb screw more secure . Leave approximately 3mm proud on the outside of the coupling and fit the thin half nut , Tighten both nuts up . Drill a 5mm hole on the 1 inch end of the coupling to secure to your exhaust , tap thread it to 6mm if you do this it makes it very easy to screw in from the outside with no need to fiddle around trying to hold the nut on the inside of the pipe with a spanner .
Its given my exhaust a deeper sound a nice rumble not sure about any gain in the low down torque yet , maybe it has . Im forever the skeptic so not too sure . Perhaps when I go on more journeys I will notice the difference . Any way it can't do any harm .
View attachment 457017 View attachment 457025 View attachment 457033
You did a great job making a set of imitation "Thunder Monster" baffles. Let us know how the bike runs after you get some time to feel it out.

I have Thunder Monster baffles on my Jackpot and love them. I found these other baffles from V-Twin Manufacturing that are a replica of Thunder Monsters that I am gonna put on my V92c, but just haven't had a chance to install them yet. They only cost me $26 plus shipping.
Wood Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Cylinder

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should be some good weather over here next week , will let you know .

·
Registered
879 Posts
Over here it is gonna be 75°F tomorrow then 81°F on Friday and 77°F on Saturday. Can't wait!!! Gonna ride a much as in can the next few days after work.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:cold_md_wht::FIREdevil::)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

View attachment 457017 View attachment 457025 View attachment 457033
This is really nice work. I pulled my baffles and cats last summer. I also added some eye bolts with washers to the back of the muffler but have always wondered about this type of baffle but nobody makes it in the diameter needed for the Xbows. If it makes a noticeable improvement I'm going to do something similar.... if I don't just replace with a good two into one. But again, nice work !

·
Registered
879 Posts
What is the diameter that you need for the XBows? I have the older version, Victory Swept Exhaust and my inside diameter is 2.5" and Thunder Monster and V-Twin Manufacturing both make the correct size baffles.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The inner diameter of the xbows are 66-67mm so I had the outer diameter of the baffle made to 65mm its a perfect fit, slides in and out really nice . Like the thunder monsters the smaller centre diameter of 57mm with the lolipops disrupts the air flow to help eliminate reversion .

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've made another set of lollipops so I can see which set suits my bike / exhaust . These are larger than the first set .
Handle Wood Dead bolt Sleeve Door
Wood Circle Button Metal Fashion accessory
Wood Household hardware Handle Gas Circle

Reactions: NSANE530

·
Registered
879 Posts
The inner diameter of the xbows are 66-67mm so I had the outer diameter of the baffle made to 65mm its a perfect fit, slides in and out really nice . Like the thunder monsters the smaller centre diameter of 57mm with the lolipops disrupts the air flow to help eliminate reversion .
Sorry, too lazy to do the conversion right now, but my ID is 2.5 inches on my swept pipes and I was able to get baffled for them for $26. But I'm very interested in how yours turn out. Think you did a great job fabricating them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think the swept may be a smaller diameter to the xbows .

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yeah, I think you are right. They are a little bit smaller. My Jackpot is a 2007 and the pipes were installed by the dealer. But, the baffles that you made should work exactly like Thunder Monsters. They reccomend installing them at least 6 inches in for the best performance.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I fitted the larger lollipops in over the weekend and they work better , Gives more low end power plus a deeper sound . Am happy with this set up .
Made them by drilling a couple of holes in some thumb screws and buying a couple of penny washers bent slightly to a dish shape . When fitting place dish shape facing out towards daylight in the exhaust . Done .

Wood Natural material Handle Door Household hardware

Reactions: NSANE530
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.