VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my CrossRoads (actually still at dealer getting cruise installed), and I'm pondering my luggage configuration for an upcoming trip. It'll be a big one. Michigan to Canadian Rockies and back in about 2 weeks. The saddlebags I know are great, but I'll still need more.
OEM luggage rack config is crazy expensive. Near $1000 for the backrest (required) and the rack. No WAY i'm spending that cash for something I don't even like the looks of on my bike.
Kewlmetal, kind of the same deal. Only about $550 for the rack and backrest, but I really am not a huge fan of the looks. Hard to spend that type of cash on something I don't like.
Other option is to do something custom made, but I'm lacking time to do so.
So, that leaves me with little options I guess. I can buy maybe some sort of bag, laying it on the rear seat, and bungy cording it betwen the saddlebags.
I can probably utilize the area between the windshield and the handlbars for some sort of winshield roller bag.
It would be great to at least fabricate some sort of sissy bar or something where I could lay a T-Bag or something on the rear seat (hopefully not damaging it, and strapping it down using a Willie & Max Hooker setup to strap it around the seat, and then using the sissybar as a back support.
Any ideas anyone can give me to figure out this luggage scenario would be helful.
thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts

I use the web bungee and my gym bag strapped accross my saddle bags. I am going to get a bag that will go over the sissy bar also, because it is needed for a 10 day ride.
If you want to save, I would just heat bend some steel bar into a sissy bar and mount it, then throw the bag over it. It doesn't have to be pretty because it will be hidden.

·
Registered
167 Posts

I have ordered the Kewlmetal luggage rack ( only the rack ) and will be using my Kuryakyn Grand tour bag on the rack, totoal cost approx. $500.00.
Or if you want you can just buy the Kuryakyn bag and mount it to the seat for the ride. It comes with the Hooker seat set up and is designed to fit around the sissy bar. If you go to they web site they have a demonstration video for that bag.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i bought the saddlebag lid rails which will help carry 2 smaller bags or something of the sort. The Kuryakyn gran tour bags allow for under seat mounting with a leather 'strap' and it's own tie downs.

The mounts for the saddlebags give you options to tie to as well but you could scuff your paint if it rubs along the fender sides for a longer trip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I was thinking of a similar setup, because I'm going to buy the saddlebag rails. But as I still want a way to use the saddlebags without taking off my bag, I was thinking of buying the rear seat hand holds as well. You can bungy stuff to those pretty well I think. Should be super secure, and depending on the bag, could act as a backrest.
Also, with those rails, i think they sit ABOVE the seat line, so stuff put on the back seat would actually rest on the rails, not the seat. Thus avoiding any cuts or rips on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Drapes said:
Just got my CrossRoads (actually still at dealer getting cruise installed), and I'm pondering my luggage configuration for an upcoming trip. It'll be a big one. Michigan to Canadian Rockies and back in about 2 weeks. The saddlebags I know are great, but I'll still need more.
OEM luggage rack config is crazy expensive. Near $1000 for the backrest (required) and the rack. No WAY i'm spending that cash for something I don't even like the looks of on my bike.
Kewlmetal, kind of the same deal. Only about $550 for the rack and backrest, but I really am not a huge fan of the looks. Hard to spend that type of cash on something I don't like.
Other option is to do something custom made, but I'm lacking time to do so.
So, that leaves me with little options I guess. I can buy maybe some sort of bag, laying it on the rear seat, and bungy cording it betwen the saddlebags.
I can probably utilize the area between the windshield and the handlbars for some sort of winshield roller bag.
It would be great to at least fabricate some sort of sissy bar or something where I could lay a T-Bag or something on the rear seat (hopefully not damaging it, and strapping it down using a Willie & Max Hooker setup to strap it around the seat, and then using the sissybar as a back support.
Any ideas anyone can give me to figure out this luggage scenario would be helful.
thanks
I purchased the OEM backrestfor my bike when I bought it and I am in the process of making my own luggage rack that will attach to the OEM backrest at a fraction of the cost, just waiting for it's return from the chrome plater. I will post pictures when the project is done.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I bought the Kewlmetal luggage rack and even though I had some issues with their customer service, I like the rack and backrest for the price. I also have the Kuryakyn Gran Tour bag, and it works well for weekenders. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Here is the proper luggage!
Where's the luggage? I didn't see any luggage! I didn't even a bike for that matter.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is this something that can be duplicated for others or do you have a pattern that can be shared? It looks factory. If you don't mind me asking what is the cost of this project?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a Kuryaken Gran Tour. I took off the saddle bags and strapped the Kury to the saddle bag hardware. I have no backrest but the straps are very secure.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

I like the rack that sl_narz did. It looks a little wider at the back end than the Vic one. It looks like he sells them for $260. I wonder if he will make one that fits without a passenger backrest? I am planning to do this on a CC.
I had planned to add the passenger handholds (2877480) so you could bungie stuff to the rails - as well as have the handhold option. I think they would keep stuff off the saddlebags because they are raised up. It would be a great place for a tent mounted crossways or other long stuff.
In any event, the whole process is just metal, nuts, and bolts. You can make anything you like if you are willing to spend the effort. Chrome plating is not cheap and I'd wager that there is about $100 of plating on sl_narz rack.
eta moya dva rubles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I had the same thought you did about the passenger handle holds. I figured they were above the seat, so anything I did long wise would sit above the seat and rest on the holds. That is kind of true. the holds really are far apart, so whatever you load up there, would have to be quite long. Also, if they're above the seat, it s VERY slight. I would try making things work without the holds by using a Saddlemen Hooker setup (a device that goes under your seat and gives you very stable rings to bungee to.) Unless of course you like the look of the grab handles, which I do.
I'm pretty happy with the setup I had using a Kurkyayn grand travel bag and their under the seat holder system (same as the saddlemen hooker). Looks good, no need for a luggage rack, stable, and relatively easy to remove and attach. I could have probably even gotten away from using the seat holder system or hooker by latching onto the saddlebag mounts in between the rear fender and bags, as long as the tie straps are long enough. The trunk though is a nice option to have if you need to keep your stuff locked up. I LOVE my saddlebag liners. Talk about easy load and unloading, especially on long trips..

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

If you need a lot of space this works.
T-Bag - Route 66.
I use this bag on the longer trips. A lot of storage area.
Uses the back rest and/or 4 tie-down points.
It even has wheels and a pull out handle and a rain cover that works.
Over 2000 miles of rain and it never leaked.

·
Registered
330 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.