VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
150 miles today, down to Carmel-by-the-Sea, back through Capitola, up Old San Jose Rd and return home.

Great weather until we hit Marina and the fog help drop the temperature almost 15 degrees compared to San Jose! The boss put on the Widder vest and stayed nice and toasty. The Cee Bailey windshield really helped with the buffeting. There was some buffeting, certainly, but nothing compared to the stock shield, the music was clear and frankly I prefer some airflow. I may add a 15" shield, maybe the Gustafsen. Carmel was clear and the temperature was in the 70s, amazing how just ten miles can completely change weather patterns. Great twisties up Old San Jose Rd. What a pleasure the Cross Country is to ride.

So, the seats need to be upholstered and I want to go with the Sargent upgrade. We're planning on riding down to Venice Beach for Thanksgiving and while it would be nice to have the seats sent/returned before we go, I'd hate to not be able to ride for three weeks. Also, if I sit straight (proper posture), the handlebars fit fine; unfortunately, I tend to slouch and the SRVT 2" pull would be nice to have. Hate to disappoint the boss but I think I'll go with the bars before the seats...

·
Registered
444 Posts

Two things that will be of immediate help would be the sheepskinn seat cover from Alaska Leathers and the driver backrest from Victory or Utopia. My backrest keeps me from slouching and I was able to be very comfy on my 4000 miles trip last month. I too will be getting the SRVT bars. I still am using my stock seat and have no plans to change it. I was able to run many 200 mile tanks straight thru.
That is a beautiful area you were riding thru. Have ridden it once. Enjoy the New XC.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Jagular said:
The Cee Bailey windshield really helped with the buffeting. There was some buffeting, certainly, but nothing compared to the stock shield, the music was clear and frankly I prefer some airflow. I may add a 15" shield, maybe the Gustafsen.
How tall is your current windshield? How tall are you? Let us know what the SRVT bars are like - do you have to change cables, installation time required, installation cost, etc... Photo maybe?
Has anyone figured out any place-way to put a helmet lock on a XC or XR?
The demo guy says screw the Vic tall W/S - get a 17" CeeBailey.
thanks for replies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
foambuilder said:
Jagular said:
The Cee Bailey windshield really helped with the buffeting. There was some buffeting, certainly, but nothing compared to the stock shield, the music was clear and frankly I prefer some airflow. I may add a 15" shield, maybe the Gustafsen.
How tall is your current windshield? How tall are you? Let us know what the SRVT bars are like - do you have to change cables, installation time required, installation cost, etc... Photo maybe?
Has anyone figured out any place-way to put a helmet lock on a XC or XR?
The demo guy says screw the Vic tall W/S - get a 17" CeeBailey.
thanks for replies.
I'm all of 5'7" and the Cee Bailey w/s I have is 13". Even though I'm only 5'7" I have a 72" reach (long arms), so the bars aren't a huge issue but if my reach were actually proportionate to my height (67"), it would suck.

From what I've read on this and other boards, you don't need change the cables. The SRVT bars are roughly $175 shipped with tax since I live in CA.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nessie044 said:
Jag-
That's a great loop. I did it about 3 weeks ago, but started the coastal funat Half Moon Bay. I was bound for Big Sur until a vehicular cluster screw made me turn around at Carmel. Had just the opposite weather situation as you guys on the ride home. From Prunedale to MorganHill was like riding in a furnace (right around 105 F). I loved it. That's why I envy the desert-dwelling Victorians.
I keep an eye out every time I'm out there, because I know we're going to cross paths one of these days. Keep us posted on the seat caper.
Hey Nessie! Are you going to Arlen's on the 23rd? We're planning on being there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
1 of the first things I do a new bike is the seat. I do my best to avoid changing the handle bars, sometimes it doesn't work out that way though.

I have the Victory backrest on order. My intentions are to make a small change to the backrest if at all possible. Being a welder/fabricator I should be able to do this. I need to move forward slightly. The problem I see is the shape of the seat. The back portion is shaped on a reward angle. It needs to be straight. With the stitching you are limited for this to happen. I will bend the mounting rod/bar slightly to move me forward, actually it will be a more up right position. This should make it easier to reach the bars. I am also 5'7". I have notice if I move forward about 1.5 inches I am very comfortable, about where the stitching is. If this does not work as planned I will send my seat to have the rear of the seat (backrest on the seat itself) padded some to make it more upright.
The handle bars will be my last effort.
The back rest is adjustable up/down but not forward or reward.
I have made several different back rest arms (the part that is on the backrest itself) to move the rider forward on several different type of nonadjustable back rest. I have also made several mounts to use different backrest on different bikes using the actual mount for that particular bike.
I enjoy making things myself and prefer it that way.
I ordered the gustafsen 4+ windscreen. They call it a flip, I know them as a recurve. The flip or recurve windscreen is about the same as adding +6 or 15 inch .

Just a thought

dd

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

FWIW
I read somewhere that you can turn the backrest mount around. By doing so, it will lean forward instead of backward. I don't know if this is true or not. My bike has not even been shipped yet, let alone to see what works how on it...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi dirtdobber. My backrest (Victory) for the XC has a thumb wheel adjustment that brings the backrest quite a bit forward. I have mine adjusted all the way forward and the bars are more comfy for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.