VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2010 Cherry Cross Country and included with the purchase were assorted items, one of witch is a set of vinal/nilon rain/wind lowers. I have no directions and or idea how to install. Need help... thanks

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
that's not going to be an easy one to describe over the net. Even with the instructions it took me a while to figure out. I've got the pdf instructions but don't know if I can attach them here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'll give it a shot...

I assume you can tell how they wrap around the guards, correct? The general shape? The long straps go towards the top, the leather-looking bit faces forward. The nylon strap connecting the two just goes in front of the frame, behind the forks of course, but you don't have to stuff the lowers through past the engine or anything like that. If you've got that much, you're most of the way there. However, there were four tricky bits for me.

First, the long straps: They look like they should go over the tops of the engine guard, right? The black plastic part? Well, feel the inside of that, up underneath. There's a metal brace that the plastic part is bolted to. The bolts don't show on the top, but it's there. The long strap actually goes between that metal brace and the plastic cover. It takes a bit of doing, but the ends of the straps are slightly stiffer than the rest of the straps and will slide in between. They go in from the front of the bike and come out on the side towards the back.

Once you get that, you should be able to see how the strap goes through the D-ring and folds back up to adhere to itself. There's another little velcro strap that seems to serve no purpose hanging out in the middle of the material. It actually goes through the D-ring as well, but folds down and adheres to the velcro that you won't notice unless you're looking for it. It's on the strap that has the D-ring on the end. Feel for it, it's there.

The two little plastic tabs, one on each side, towards the bike? Look at the frame of the bike, from the front of the bike, right behind the forks, the part in front of the engine. See all the vertical slats? That's a sort of insert, and those plastic tabs slide in vertically between the insert and the frame -- it's hard to see, 'cause here the 'frame' is sort of plastic and carbon-looking. Poke around, you'll find it. It doesn't look like anything should fit there, but it does.

Lay down on the ground to see where the bottom of the engine guards attach to the bike. They bolt on to a sort of swoopy, plasticky bit that's got some room between it and the main part of the frame. Just slip it around that. Watch the pipes!! I got a nasty burn on my thumb trying to figure all this out.

One last bit -- once you get one side on, it hangs kind of loose and floppy until you get the other side on as well. then both sides are really tight.

I took some pics, but I'm having trouble getting them loaded in this post. I've loaded pictures before -- not sure what I'm doing different this time. Anyway, if you want them, I can email them to you. They might help. The pics on the instructions I got are barely more than blurry smudges on the paper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.