VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night while coming home from dinner the gas gauge started dropping fast and the low fuel warning came on. The display said range of 76 miles and I had 179 on odometer. Stopped at the gas station to be safe. Took 3.78 gallons so I assume there was 2 gallons left in the tank.
My question, is this normal? Low fuel warning comes on with about 2 gallons left and the gauge is on empty. This was the first fuel stop since I picked up the bike. The gauge read full at the dealers. I know with more riding I will learn how far I can go on a tank which should be around 240 to 250 miles. Just didn't want to run out in the dark.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Mine's the same, bike shows empty and there's 2 gallons left.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one , I thought it was broke on the side stand half a tank when upright drops like a rock and had the same issue with filling up just over 3 gal.
not sure i like that

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Is it ll victory's....My KP comes on when there's over a gallon left.....The book says 0.5 ... i dunno.... better safe than sorry. Does your blink on and off depending on the turns you take????? mine does....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

My low fuel light comes on with about agallon ofgas left. If I ride nice, I can squeeze about 200 mi out of a tank of gas. Usually average filling up aroung 175-180 miles and still have about half a gallon of gas left.
WW

·
Registered
45 Posts

It seems you have to fill the tank very slowly to get the full 5.8 in it. I also run with the low fuel light on for a while when I need to remove the fuel tank to make it lite.
After a while you'll get more in tune with the fuel gauge.
Agree, it could be a better system

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

I agree.. Getting used to any motorcycle's fuelrange is key. Mine, too, stays on full for a long time. When it starts to drop.. It does drop fast.I findmy trip computer's projected fuel range to be very optimistic.. Maybe by 40-50 miles. Then again, I am riding with too heavy of a wrist.
WW

·
Registered
18 Posts
For those in Canada... I'm experiencing the same thing. The fuel gage drops rather quickly, and the Low fuel warning comes on when I've got more than 4 litres left in the tank. The dealer said this was normal.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

Breezy said:
For those in Canada... I'm experiencing the same thing. The fuel gage drops rather quickly, and the Low fuel warning comes on when I've got more than 4 litres left in the tank. The dealer said this was normal.
Had my fuel light on the XR come on and stay on at 290km. My calculations from what you guys are saying is that I would get about400km. So I feel this is fair. Also my vehicles give me the low fuel warning with 100km left on them as well.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
agreed the bikes fuel gauge is a bit of a disappointment in how quickly it reacts(drops). My first road trip is a less than 2 weeks away now and I expect to burn on 2000 miles over 5 days.

I'm interested to see how far she'll go and how it'll feel being in the saddle on this bike for extended periods.

·
Registered
18 Posts
bored76 said:
Breezy said:
Had my fuel light on the XR come on and stay on at 290km. My calculations from what you guys are saying is that I would get about400km. So I feel this is fair. Also my vehicles give me the low fuel warning with 100km left on them as well.
Good to know...

·
Registered
18 Posts

redpin04 said:
agreed the bikes fuel gauge is a bit of a disappointment in how quickly it reacts(drops). My first road trip is a less than 2 weeks away now and I expect to burn on 2000 miles over 5 days.

I'm interested to see how far she'll go and how it'll feel being in the saddle on this bike for extended periods.
Really looking forward to your report when you return redpin. I've got a 5000km+ roadtrip to the East Coast of Canada planned for the end of June... will be very interesting to hear what you've got to say!

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

I have a 09 Kingpin, with 17 Liter Litre capacity, no fuel gauge just the light, I get around 180km city, 200km plus hwy before the light comes on,with just under 4 litres remaing in the tank.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
08 Vision PT, mine comes on when it says "range 45 miles" unless you stop and put it on the side stand, then it could be about 75 miles.
Ive ridden about 40 miles after the light came on, then i chickened out and got gas.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My dealer is getting me a warranty replacement "float sensor" to see if that fixes the problem. I really can't count on the gauge or the light at all. I've had the light come on with 2 gallons left in the tank.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Clubford00 said:
08 Vision PT, mine comes on when it says "range 45 miles" unless you stop and put it on the side stand, then it could be about 75 miles.
Ive ridden about 40 miles after the light came on, then i chickened out and got gas.
I wouldn't want to push either, with having an electric fuel pump, if it's the same as in a vehicle with the same, they require fuel in your tank to keep it cool, if you run out of fuel you could experience a fuel pump failure down the road, in my opinion that's why in 09 if your bike falls on its side the fuel is shut off. It's an expensive repair.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
lmarshall08 said:
My dealer is getting me a warranty replacement "float sensor" to see if that fixes the problem. I really can't count on the gauge or the light at all. I've had the light come on with 2 gallons left in the tank.
They all do that, guage hits "E" and light comes on, around 2 gallons left in tank. I would rather it came on too early than too late.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.