Low Fuel Incident during the 2021 Fall Colors Ride in the Mountains of Pennsylvania | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Low Fuel Incident during the 2021 Fall Colors Ride in the Mountains of Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Army Tanker, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Army Tanker

Army Tanker Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
    pennsylvania-state-usa-3d-render-topographic-map-border-frank-ramspott.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    Low Fuel Incident during the 2021 Fall Colors Ride through the Mountains of Pennsylvania

I very nearly ran out of gas riding back from the small town of Renovo, PA, the place that had the Flaming Fall Festival Parade that got us stuck on a bridge just outside of town waiting for the parade to clear the main road through town, back to Clearfield, PA, our hotel home base in PA. I was intent on getting fuel in Renovo, but I got distracted sitting on the overpass bridge waiting for the small town parade to clear out enough that we could finally leave that small town. Once we got out of town and we got back to yanking and banking and turning and burning through the mountain curves, I totally lost track of my fuel situation. Halfway through the mountainside national forest, I happen to look at my dashboard fuel gage and noticed that I was rather low on fuel - just under an 1/8th tank of fuel and in the red portion of my fuel gage. In seemingly no-time flat, my fuel gage was on "E," a big yellow gas pump icon lit-up bright yellow, and my whole lower half of the dashboard lit-up with "LoFuel." Those were warning indicators that I had not previously seen in my bike's dashboard. I started to dramatically slow down and purposefully coasted during downhills portions of the roadway. Thankfully, as we came out of the rolling foot hills near Interstate 80, our lead rider found an Exxon gas station - THANKFULLY! That was the closest I've ever come to running out of gas. All I could do was laugh, though it was a bit stressful and not so funny. So, after dinner tonight, I'm going to celebrate not running out of gas with a bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade back at the hotel.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Have 2, you earned them & remember your allowed all 6 if you have to push

3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    All totally normal. On the X bikes you can scroll thru the display and the low fuel warning will go away.

A X bike should easily go 30 miles of "normal" riding with the light on. It's not an issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    I've gone 40+ miles on the low fuel light. Not want to do that all the time but if your desperate gotta do what you gotta do.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. roadcouch

roadcouch Well-Known Member

2013 xc sunset red

When your low fuel light comes on fill up right away. This way you will know how much is still in the tank. On my bike I get 4.5 gallons in at that time. Which tells me I have over a gallon left in the tank when I get the low fuel light.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Butt puckering, praying & fumes one worrisome day lead me to know my bike will hold 5.8 gallons. Pretty sure we were 10ft from pushing her that time but got 239 miles on that tank by forgetting to look at the gauge, never again I hope. Most have same experience with from full.....get about 75-100 before the gauge drops at all while riding nonstop ( if you stop and lean her from side to side a few times with key off the gauge will adjust to correct reading if on flat ground but on curvy roads it’ll drop normally ) we usually stop every 1.5 - 2 hours ( wife always hasta P, gonna put a catheter in her one of these trips ) & try to never let the gauge drop below half tank so the pump stays submerged, cool & for the least chance of sucking up dirt

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jmstang302

I've put 5.9 gallons in my XC on 2 different occasions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. jmstang302

Best to not put dirt in your tank. Then you don't have to worry about sucking it up!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Just made a trip from AZ to KY and back on my new to me CR, parts of US 54 and US 60 are pretty bleak and sparse. Encountered a couple of towns with no gas and 50 to 60 miles to the next town with no guarantees there would be gas there. Glad to have an almost 6 gallon tank. First time I've owned a bike with more capacity than my bladder.
    Got nervous a couple times when the gauge dropped below two bars. were two stretches I found myself topping the tank after a 100 miles or so just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    If it's anything like the XC/XCT you'll learn to not trust the weird gauge. Slow drop to 1/2 then very fast fall to E. Usually when fuel up on E still have 1.5+ gallons based on supposed capacity. I know I can go over 200 miles but usually stop around 160-180.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Lucky you didn’t get a hot fuel pump shut down sitting in traffic. Don’t ask how I know, but 155 degs, that pump will overheat with low fuel circulation...

12. jmstang302

It's not the fuel pump over heating. It's the engine over heating. The ECU and our engines for that matter, can not cope with the amount of heat-soak that happens in stop and not so much go traffic.

Especially for those who use the oil made by the lowest bidder, NOT JASO MA2 certified.

If riding with the low fuel light on was detrimental to a fuel pump, I should have replaced several by now. I run almost every tank 15-30 miles beyond 1st sight of low fuel light, commuting. Which means every other day I'm running with the light on.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Well I stand corrected as I had to wait for it to cool down even after getting out of traffic and back up to speed, but she was hot and flamed out...

Had the warning before as well, but strive not to.

14. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    If you have the old Ace Billet 1” tank risers, you’ll have very little fuel left when the low fuel light comes on. With the front of the tank up an inch, it throws off the reserve amount, a lot.

I tend to fill my tank well above the plate. If I’m burning it up on the Highway and that where I’m going right back to, I’ll fill the tank to within 3/4” of the filler neck.

200+ miles to a tank? Not at typical TN interstate speeds where the limit is 70 but traffic is well above 80.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Yep, noticed that at about the halfway mark with the strange little bars it would drop like a stone. The really weird thing is that I was on my second tank full on the first leg of the trip before I even noticed that it had a fuel level indicator. So used to using the tripmeter for a gas gauge I didn't notice it. Only had the bike for a little over 3 weeks before I left.
    Spent most of that time doing tires, oil change and having to remove the starter to clean and grease it. That was a pain in the ass. Steel frames I can do the starter in an hour or so, the CR there was so much sh!t I had to take off to get to the #@!%*^g thing I was beginning to miss my steel frame bikes. Took me 5 hrs.Fact is I think I'll probably off this one and go to a Kingpin with CC bags and a dual disc front end. Miss my KP. That was absolutely the best all around bike I've ever owned.

• Like Like x 1