·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Behind this guy 100%!

I thank my parents (even tho they are dead) all the time for teaching me (by their actions not words) how to be a real person.
I grew up working & there were many times that i did not get to do "things" other kids were doing.
Honestly many times I was pissed that i didn't get to "have fun" but after awhile I realized that I actually appreciated life more.

SWEAT never hurt anybody.

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My parents to..got $5 a week allowance for taking out garbage and push mower to cut lawn, just over an acre. Started working at 12, paper route. I've worked without being jobless till I retired at 50:dance: (at 68 still working, played first 2 years, but got to complacent/lazy, so do part time jobs.) Told boss before hiring at current job, when I ask for time off if say NO....I QUIT. Been with him now for 8 years. ...pays for toys and vacations:biggrin:)
My Dad told me "ALWAYS be the EMPLOYEE you'd want as an EMPLOYER". I did just that as an employee, till I purchased into a business and became the employer...who told new hires what ,my Dad told me. Turned out to be a WIN WIN, wish I had thanked him before he passed.:icon_thumleft:

·
Super Moderator
26,154 Posts
One of the many jobs I had as a kid was helping to strip antiques, sand, and then refinish them. It was all good until you pulled out a drawer holding stripper and it pours down your chest and into your boots. I went "stripping" across the yard a few times shedding my clothes. That stuff was no joke!

Being raised in the country and having a ton of chores on top of several jobs I couldn't believe how easy my cityboy friends had it. My best friend would b!tch about taking the trash out. Many times I did it at his house just because it needed doing. His mother loved me, but then most do.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My parents had one simple rule. If you want it you need to work for it. At the wee age of 11 I was walking dogs and mowing lawns. At the age of 16 got a job at Loyola Hospital (Loyola Ramblers if anyone was wondering) and I went to school full time along with sports before and after school. I worked Wednesdays from 6-10 and weekends 6-6 all the while going out with my friends like 16 yr olds did. None of my friends had jobs and their parents bought them anything they wanted and paid for it all. I also paid for my own education, or what I could afford, full time and worked full time. I watch these kids today and to find some with any kind of work ethic, is few and way far between. Most of these kids expect someone else to do it for them and they show up whenever they want and wear their drawers around their ankles... I can only imagine what our future leaders are going to look like.:cry:

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is the pledge.

Great ethics to live up to. I particularly like #5 which is rampant in the public and private realm today. People don't realize that when carried to extreme it is slavery just as effective as a ball and chain.

• Winner
Reactions: IM12STPN

·
Super Moderator
26,154 Posts
If you want it you need to work for it.
Me too. That's why I have nice things today and I take care of them. Having to work for them made me understand their value and be more responsible.

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me too. That's why I have nice things today and I take care of them. Having to work for them made me understand their value and be more responsible.
Reminds me of the PROMISES...they will always come true... IF you WORK for them :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
820 Posts
I am indifferent on this one. I agree as a life philosophy for sure but it wonders a bit for me for the work ethic part. It could be a lil more focused. I am a tradesman and was “Hey kid” for 20 years even when I was the boss. Now I look behind me and look for the next “Hey kid” and there are none. I would love to pass on the work ethic and experience to the next generations but they aren’t there. We told them all to be better than us forgetting we will always need skilled tradesman.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Great ethics to live up to. I particularly like #5 which is rampant in the public and private realm today. People don't realize that when carried to extreme it is slavery just as effective as a ball and chain.
Had to go back & re-read #5.
We have been debt free for almost 8 years now.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I am indifferent on this one. I agree as a life philosophy for sure but it wonders a bit for me for the work ethic part. It could be a lil more focused. I am a tradesman and was "Hey kid" for 20 years even when I was the boss. Now I look behind me and look for the next "Hey kid" and there are none. I would love to pass on the work ethic and experience to the next generations but they aren't there. We told them all to be better than us forgetting we will always need skilled tradesman.
You are spot on! We've told kids "do what you love or your passion". That's great for the white collar crowd, but blue collar people are relavent and schools need to do a better job of teaching this kind of thing. Not everyone is an academic but many are great with their hands.

Nothing wrong with military service either. Although I do believe the kid needs to have a sense of duty to country or don't bother enlisting.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You are spot on! We've told kids "do what you love or your passion". That's great for the white collar crowd, but blue collar people are relavent and schools need to do a better job of teaching this kind of thing. Not everyone is an academic but many are great with their hands.

Nothing wrong with military service either. Although I do believe the kid needs to have a sense of duty to country or don't bother enlisting.
I love the movie Rudy (side note I even had a younger brother of "Rudy" as a teacher growing up) and in the movie there is a scene where the Father at his high school tells Rudy you know college isn't for everyone we will always need factory workers and mechanics and there is no shame in that. To me it's the hard truth people tend to ignore. Myself I never thought I would be a tradesman, hell I was one semester away from law school, but life happens, do I regret not finishing school sure some days but I have worked hard made money lost money blew money and everything in between but I am happy with what I chose as a profession (really it chose me). No paper, money or degrees and so on, can give me a work ethic or happiness. Those come from within and are honed thru years of practice success and failures.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Have not seen that movie but will look for it.

I was son #3 & considered the smart one.
Everyone figured I was going to college but I found that I liked working on "stuff" so i did general repairs: auto, bike, marine, farm etc...
Then I got into a small family owned general store that sold auto parts along with lawn mowers, washers & dryers, TV's, pianos etc
I naturally fell into the auto section & eventually opened a branch store.
Many years later I opened my own store & did quite well but the market place was changing & the discount chains were making it harder to compete.

Until a few years ago I always had a shop as a side business & for a time even got heavily into wood working.
Looking back I don't regret any of it even the lean times.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If my mom had written a note on my behalf I'd die of embarrassment.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I like that pledge in general but have issues with #11. When faced with unequal treatment I always worked to reduce the differences. Today I am living well, without debt, at age 70. I have been completely debt free since I was about 45 years old. That includes no mortgages. My mortgage was my only debt after about age 33. When I want something I use cash. It costs me nothing and allows me to live at least 5% better than if I took out a loan, in many cases it saves me more than 10% in interest charges so my money is worth 10% more in purchasing power.
A few years ago I broke my typical pattern and did take out a 6 months same as cash loan to buy a bike. Then I went home and set up my on-line account to pay it off a week ahead of the deadline. It amounted to Yamaha making me an interest free loan so I could continue to draw 6% interest on that money for almost 6 months at FNBO. They were paying 6% on my checking account when most banks were paying about 1% on savings accounts and CDs. It all adds up.

• Winner

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If my mom had written a note on my behalf I'd die of embarrassment.
And that is part of the problem many do not know how to feel guilt or shame or regret.
It's become a "do what you want" culture with no respect or regard for others.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Kind of what I wanted to say, but Mike does a better job. Their are things I would love to be able to do, but I am not very good at it LOL.

• Winner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.