VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, help me out here. Just purchased 2010 cross country. Love it. 12k miles. Just put the wife on back yesterday, terrible whine noise. Noise is most prominent when slowing down clutch engaged or disengaged, or in any gear. And I mean loud! Almost sounds like a bad gear whine that’s consistent with that noise. Also, sounds like a rattle noise towards my front right foot when cruising. Here’s the thing, she jumps off and it’s fine. It was lowered an inch. Is this belt noise/alignment? Please help. Yep cannot ride with her on it. It’s that bad. Both of us about 410 lbs.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
My first guess would be belt tension. Have you checked it? Also, what PSI are you running in the rear shock?

·
Registered
742 Posts
My bet is back of belt rubbing on the drive gear (pulley) cover, happened to daughter and me last summer, couple pumps of air in the shock and away we went, no problem.
Welcome to the VOG, enjoy that Vic.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just took the granddaughter for her first ride this year and I could hear a chirping. Like other said need more air in shock. I only have 15 lbs and alone I don’t hear anything. I think I’m going to add 10 lbs up to 25 lbs.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
@Jonesey Gotta find the sweet spot for the rear shock air psi, 20 psi for you two is too low try 50 psi

·
Registered
125 Posts
If is not removed there should be a sticker inside the lid of the right saddlebag. It will tell you what air pressure to run in the shock based on model and weight. My XCT is lowered an inch and I still go off of the recommended settings on that sticker and all has been well.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
If is not removed there should be a sticker inside the lid of the right saddlebag. It will tell you what air pressure to run in the shock based on model and weight. My XCT is lowered an inch and I still go off of the recommended settings on that sticker and all has been well.
You should be running it the same as what the Magnum call for then since it's lowered one inch. Mine is too.

I went to a Penske shock since I had two stock ones go bad. I like it a lot more but since it works so well; it highlighted my front end needing a rebuild. I've been procrastinating while I try to get other stuff done on my property before it gets too hot.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I had a 25 cent clip that holds tire and belt in alignment get loose and caused an annoying whine. I wheel was like 3mm out of alignment. My mechanic here had a new clip put it in re aligned sent me out for ride came back bumped a lil more and no more rubbing. The clip is supposed to be changed whenever you get new tires on. Mine wasn’t yay for dealership

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.