VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 Kingpin.
Left for a ride Saturday and the handlebars were pretty solid, some slight (1/4"0 up and down movement, got home and as I parked bike in it's hole in the garage I notice I now have almost 3/4-1 inch movement up and down. I had this issue when the bike was in for 600 mile check. It was fixed at no charge.
I called dealer and asked about this problem, I was advised to get it in, it doesn't seem right, BUT they will not commt as to it being a warranty issue.
SO, I pose the question...has anyone else had this issue?
I can't really see how this is considered normal wear and tear and why it would not be a waranty issue. It is pretty much an unsafe condition.
Maybe to Kevin, is there a permanent fix? Or is this something "simple" that I should be able to fix myself?
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

My 08 is the same.
Dealer says riser bushings worn out ( 27,000 klm's ) sounds to me like manufactures problem, my warranty's up, so i'm SOL.
I'll change them this winter, maby find an aftermarket supplier, at $25 per I won't buy the vic ones.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spider said:
My 08 is the same.
Dealer says riser bushings worn out ( 27,000 klm's ) sounds to me like manufactures problem, my warranty's up, so i'm SOL.
I'll change them this winter, maby find an aftermarket supplier, at $25 per I won't buy the vic ones.
I bet the fix for that will come with the fix for the Fuel Injection..(wink, wink). Well, I can only hope the extended warranty covers them then.
My bike only has 6921 miles on it. How the hell can they be worn out already? Made of sponge rubber??

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
stilcrazee said:
spider said:
My 08 is the same.
I bet the fix for that will come with the fix for the Fuel Injection..(wink, wink). Well, I can only hope the extended warranty covers them then.
My bike only has 6921 miles on it. How the hell can they be worn out already? Made of sponge rubber??
Mine went loose around the same as yours, 10,000-11,000 klms, that's why I believe it's a parts manufactures problem. I just did'nt take it inand I only had 1 year warranty, so I said i'll fix it later. I just did'nt think the parts were gonna cost me $50 + tax. :(

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

kevinx01 said:
Not saying you guys have done this, but most of the time I see worn bushings; the bike has been strapped down with te ties on the bars.
My pin was on a trailer only one time, that was when the dealer delivered it to my house, too much snow on the road for me to ride her home last February.
But i've heard of that happening to a few other bikes, strapped too tight and wore prematurely.

·
Registered
286 Posts

I had this issue when I bought my bike. The sales rep told me it was normal. I checked other bikes in the showroom, and my friends Hammer, and they were all far more solid feeling than mine. I did get it replaced under warranty, and was told the bushing was defective from the factory.
Now here is the pickle. The bushings are press fitted into the triple tree, and the front end has to be taken apart to replace them, so it's not a do it yourself fix.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kevinx01 said:
Not saying you guys have done this, but most of the time I see worn bushings; the bike has been strapped down with te ties on the bars.
Hmm, interesting. Mine was strapped down snug but I don't think that snug..it rocked far enough to snap my clutch lever off..but that was 6000 miles ago.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Ive had the same thing, this is one of the reasons i took my bike in last weekend. They said they had to order the bushings but also were not sure it would be covered under the extended warranty. i really never noticed a problem until on the Cornfest ride a couple weeks ago i checked Marks bike. When his bars barely moved, i knew i had an issue. Im still waiting for the parts to come in. If they give me any crap ill just buy the parts from someone else and install them myself.
I might try the Locktite idea but it doesnt feel like a bolt issue as much as a worn rubber issue

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

jerrythekingpin said:
easy fix my 04 pin did the same thing take the bolt out one at a time ones for handle bars put a little blue locktite on threads reinstall tighten till bars feel firm did this with my bars over 3 years ago still feel good !!
04 has a different type of bushhing that can be tigthened. In 05 they went to a sleeved bushing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine got rediculously loose at about 10k. I bought the new bushings but I am not sure I can change them out myself as I was unable to remove the existing ones. I guess I will have to drop a few hundred at the dealer on top of the price of the bushings :(. Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this yourself?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get rid of the rubber bushings. Brcustomcycles.com has solid bushings that fit my 07 Kingpin without any modifications. I believe they also sell a removal tool; I pulled my old bushings out with a simple puller I made out of all thread. You don't need to pull the front end apart to get the old bushings out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.