Lookout!! | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Lookout!!

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by InFa_ReD, May 30, 2015.

1. InFa_ReD

InFa_ReD New Member

Hi all,
    I just wanted to tell you what happened on the way home from work last night. So I'm riding my new 8 ball home from work last night which is all country back roads going at a good clip, all of a sudden I see out the corner of my eye a huge racoon and it decides to walk out right in front of me. I start to think holy sh!t this is really going to happen. I'm in 6th gear and I pull in the clutch apply all breaks in an abs fashion trying to break and avoid. I feel the back wheel squeal and lock up. I do a small swerve to the right and what does this thing do it stops and runs right under me. I ran the thing over with both tires. I am shocked I kept the bike up right and didn't bail or cause any damage to the bike.

The Morale of the story don't bother breaking!

Thanks for listening. Rich

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Usually hitting small things will always be better than swerving. Many times swerving causes you to crash. Many accidents occur after the person over corrects when they avoid hitting the obstruction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BenD

BenD Active Member

2012 cross country tour w/trike conversion
    Never brake for critters!

4. mister-g

mister-g Well-Known Member

2014 vision tour
    :couch1: i don't think slowing down is a bad idea, I'd rather hit a big bump at 40mph instead of 60mph. I've t-boned an opossum before and thought I wa going to go flying :eek-50: but the bike handled it well. :cool018:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    A good friend of mine and a very long time rider took a spill a couple of years ago after hitting a dog. It was night, he was giving someone a fun ride on a major road through town, but small town not any traffic. Not going more than 40. He's been all over the country and he said he's hit a number of dogs, coons, squirrels etc. Normally, it's bump...bump...poor dogie and ride on. This one time, somehow, the dog hit the front of the fender and bent it back enough to engage the tire. Basicly sort of locked the tire and down they went. Moral to the story......I have no idea. $#!t happens? :shtf1:

6. K1ll3m@LL

[email protected] Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Cross Country
    shoulda went back for em to stuff and hang in the garage, lol the one that didn't get away.

7. XROADZ

XROADZ Member

Cross roads
  8. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Yeah, bear, moose, cows, hogs. Anything aproaching 50 pounds and up qualifies for my rather try to get around it rule. I guess especially if it can stomp the S#!t out of you. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    So I was just out on the Vision getting some stuff done. I was getting on the freeway and the traffic was pretty heavy. Just as I come to the entrance ramp for a tollroad I was taking a lady in a Honda Pilot flies up, cuts me off, and then slams on her brakes. I have to do the same in a much smaller space than I like. Next thing I know she swerves around the complete sidewell of a truck tire. Im already in heavy braking so I took it straight on. The Vision took a little hop over it but handled it very well.

Reminds me of a story a motor officer told me long ago. He was sharing the same information that it is better to take many things straight on instead of trying to swerve around them.

He said back in the day of the KZs an officer was going down the freeway when nearly the same thing that just happened to me happened to him. The difference was it was an entire truck tire with wheel. He hit it straight on and the bike actually jumped and went over it. When he came down on the other side the bikes frame cracked in half and the officer injured his back. he was able to drive off the road and lived to tell about it.