Looking to get a XR, anything I should be on the lookout for? | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Looking to get a XR, anything I should be on the lookout for?

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Roads' started by hunter3203, Jul 25, 2020.

1. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    CCT shield came off it was impossible to ride in the rain with it. Took fairing wings off because I didn't think they did anything but now I'm getting some rough air so might try them again. Can't fully close them I give up fighting the hard lower creeping up bars.

2. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    As far as hard lowers creeping up toward the fairing wings on a XCT goes; if you ever remove the lowers, then go to reinstall them, wrap a strip of electrical tape around the highway bars where each of the 3 "hose clamp" connectors [3 per side] for the lowers go. You will never have the lowers creep up on you again.

I read this tip somewhere else here on TheVog years ago, so I can't take credit for the idea. In any case, my lowers have not moved a bit since I did this.

3. IndyVictory

Done that multiple times they still creep up.
    That's why I give up on it. I just leave fairing wings slightly open and no problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Sorry to hear that man. I do know when I tightened the bolts/nuts on the hose clamps I went semi-hulk. Meaning they are very tight. I had a wrench on the bolt and a socket on the nut at the same time. I figured why not, as I'm going to use tools to remove them again anyway. Maybe try two or three wraps of tape on the bars? The thicker the tape the more those hose clamps are going to grip the bars... If you go too thick with the tape wrap, getting the ends of the hose clamp to line up becomes extremely difficult. Another idea, instead of electrical tape maybe give cloth hockey stick tape a try? Just a couple of thoughts in case you give it one more shot down the road.

5. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Sonething isn’t right as I’ve ridden lots of (really, way too many) miles in the rain without issue on my CCT. Are you looking through instead of over your CCT windshield? If so, get a shorter one. Ideally, the top edge height should be between your nose and mouth. My CCT windshield is 3” shorter than stock. It’s perfect regardless of the weather.

CCT lowers creep after being addressed is also not right. Wipe the CCT crash bars down with Isopropyl Alcohol to ensure all road grime etc has been removed. Then wrap a layer or two of Gorilla Tape or similar around the bars and under the clamps. If that doesn’t work, the clamps are either somehow messed up or they’re improperly mounted.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. IndyVictory

I used several layers of tape. It's the left side that creeps up. Right stays put. I just barely crack the fairing wings and they don't rub. I got tired of fussing with the lowers. Side note I put the fairing wings back on and I'm back to hitting 90 without wind beating my head. I guess now looking at it the curve part of the hard lowers forces air inward and upward to front of tank. The wings cracked open a bit is all that is needed to fix that. Still learning this bike after 2 years owning it. :)

7. XRJohn

XRJohn New Member

2011 Victory Cross Roads
    On another note, I ride the 2011 Cross Roads with Cruise and no ABS, and I haven't dealt with any issues not having the ABS. I might also add, I really like my Cross Roads. The CC is the more popular model, but I really like my Cross Roads - Just saying.

8. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    Have you ever ridden a Harley Touring Model? I had a Street Glide and found it very hot in our area. Just wondering about a comparison between Harley and Victory in that regard.

9. IndyVictory

I'll tell you this I just rode the bike pretty hard 1.5 hours away from home for a bit of hiking then returned. 90 degrees and humid. Was it bad enough I want another bike? Nope. I've rode this bike on 100+ degree days. It does get a tad warm in city traffic no arguing that. My uncle has to turn off his Harley on days like that because it will overheat. Older model '98. That's not knocking them it's a great bike just not efficient with cooling. Stock tune my Vic would hit 300F on occasion. Right now runs more like 250-260 but I'm in middle of tuning.

Most the heat is from the cats which some prefer to remove but you lose some torque doing that.

10. Chattanooga_Mark

Which H-D, water or air cooling and the Victory before or after being dyno tuned? My CCT was plenty hot as delivered. After cams and a dyno tune etc at The Vic Shop, I estimated my CCT engine/exhaust heat was nearly cut in half. Also, when I had the CCT lowers installed, I'd never open the doors all the way at anything above about 30mph. Doing so just dumps a lot of heat onto the rider. I tended to keep the CCT lower fairing doors open about 1.5" in most instances. The CCT lower fairing air deflectors can also play a nice roll in reducing heat felt on the rider.

11. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    It was an air cooled 2008. So I got lots of heat rising up from the engine and my experience was the fairing kept a lot of air off of your lower torso, etc. Great when the weather is cooler, very uncomfortable when it's hot.

The Judge I have just has a sport windshield to keep the air off my chest. Otherwise, I get a lot of airflow. That's the reason I've been thinking of a Cross Roads instead of a Cross Country. The CC seems to be very similar in design to the Street Glide I had.

12. CrossBuck

CrossBuck Active Member

We should talk ? ........ I have a 2012 Sunset red XR, ABS, Cruise, heated seat, OEM mid height windshield , luggage rack, color matched / key matched bags with and extra set of leather covered bags. Extra side stand, and Saber tooth lights, as well as an extra set of windshield mounts.

Just over 5000 miles, parked due to health reasons.

If this sounds interesting ? Ping me here.

I am located near Cincinnati,Oh

• Like Like x 2
  13. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    Definitely interested. I started a conversation. I haven't done that before so I don't know if it notifies you of that or not.

14. Chattanooga_Mark

Wow, a beautiful and more than fully equipped 2012 CR with only 5000 miles. Your CR sounds wonderful. All the best to you with a sale. My 2012 CCT has been 100% rock solid. I'm thinking they did something right in 2012!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. IndyVictory

Mine seems to be doing well I think I made a good choice couple years ago. 2012 is when I bought my last bike. Going to keep this Vic I like it. :)

• Winner Winner x 1