Looking to get a XR, anything I should be on the lookout for? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Looking to get a XR, anything I should be on the lookout for?

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Roads' started by hunter3203, Jul 25, 2020.

1. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Judge
    It looks like my Judge is going to be totaled. I’ve been thinking about getting a XR for a while and am really looking for both cruise control and ABS. Cruise is easy to spot but not all ABS equipped XRs still have the sticker. Is there any other way to confirm whether a bike has that feature?

Edit: wvrider1 answered my ABS question. Anything I should be on the lookout for on XRs or XCs? I've enjoyed the 106 on my Judge for the last 4 years. My only complaint was the seat wasn't very comfortable. I'm hoping the XR is much better in that regard. I know there are a lot more seat options if nothing else.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  2. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Look for a tone ring on the front rim center.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    Thanks! That's very helpful.

4. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Unless you are just totally against a fairing look at cross country too. Price on both can be pretty close.

Look at the usual stuff tires, gas tank inside, etc.
    Always look at any bike cold. You don't need someone trying to hide a cold start problem by having it hot when you get there. Look for rust. You'll probably find a little just from age on things like highway bars. Maybe negotiation point with seller.
    I really don't see how anything would be Vic specific in buying a used bike.

5. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    I may be wrong, but I think there is no chance of having ABS on any XR prior to 2012. Also, I believe all of the XR's that came with ABS have the letters ABS sported on a sticker found on the right side cover. Like you said, there's a chance the sticker could be gone though.

I believe all of the XR classics offered in 2012, 2013, and 2014 had both ABS and cruise. They also all had spoke laced wheels and leather wrapped (aka soft sided) saddle bags.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    I'm in the deep south and I've found that a fairing is just too damn hot in the summer. I had a Street Glide that I loved and got rid of to get my Judge. I've enjoyed not having a fairing on that.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that's had both Harley and Victory bikes with fairings for any differences they noticed. I added mid-frame heat deflectors and fairing deflectors that allow additional airflow on my Street Glide in attempts to cool me off. It was still too hot.

As for looking at bikes cold, that's getting harder and harder. If you're buying from a private seller, most don't want to let you come to their house. I know I met buyers at a local grocery store parking lot instead of my home when selling my own bike.

7. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I regularly ride my CCT in hot and humid conditions without any heat issues at all. My CCT lowers have been replaced with forged bars and JTD inserts. The JTD inserts typically get removed in the Summer. Also, the CCT windshield is much better than the CC version. It flows air and does cause buffeting. My CCT trunk is currently hanging on the garage wall as well.

IMHO, the CCT is the very best value in motorcycling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge

I've seen 2011 models advertised with ABS. Wether it's actually on the bike I couldn't tell you. wvrider1 gave me a quick way to tell, tone ring on the front left brake disc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    We're in the same neck of the woods. My Judge is at Crockett Powersports. I do miss having a stereo when I ride and the XC would definitely solve that problem.

10. Chattanooga_Mark

Excellent, they’re great people at Crockett Powersports. I have the factory extreme audio fairing and saddlebag kits but typically use my Sena system.

11. Lesmurray

Lesmurray New Member

Victory Cross Roads
    Look for a 2011 or newer. The 2010 used a different speedo that has reliability issues. Many report having to replace them often.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blazed40

Blazed40 Member

Hardball
    Don't forget to keep your eyes open for hardballs as well. The tone ring is about the only visual your going to get. Also i took the sticker off mine day one bringing my bike home along with all the other stickers.

• Like Like x 3
  13. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    I think your right about the years regarding the ABS, but the spoke wheels and soft bags were on the XR classic, Not sure if the spoked wheeled versions had ABS. The regular XR like my 2012 had the hard bags, ABS, and mag wheels.

• Like Like x 1
  14. doakh

doakh Member

Victory??
    If I am not mistaken, you can look at the brake rotor to confirm ABS. There should be a much smaller second ring attached with a continuous ring of rectangular slots.

15. Chattanooga_Mark

I meant to say, the CCT windshield system does flow air and it doesn't cause buffeting. Two important factors the CC windshield system cannot claim. Any CC owner who complains of heat and/or buffeting should replace the CC windshield system with a CCT windshield system.

Also, if a CC owner doesn't have the Victory forged bars, they should consider mounting the CCT winglets on the bottom of the fairing to also positively effect airflow.