VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at possibly purchasing a Vision after 170K on 4 GL1800's.
We have been priced a new 2009 and a new 2011. Price difference is almost $4300. No ABS but other than that are there any differences? And how bad a bath will we take riding a new 2009 off the lot as far as trading in a couple years?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I've ridden the 2009 Vision & LOVED IT!!! I'm riding between an 05 KP and a 2010 Cross Country right now.

I love my KP and would go VISION in a heart beat to be honest.

(Gotta be honest, if the XC was customized to me I may feel more confident on it. It's too tall for me without having it lowered ) Love lots of the features tho.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I picked up my 09 Vision less than a month ago. I went with the 09 because I loved the midnight cherry red. walking out the door with a new (fresh out of the crate) premium VV for 18k was very nice (used the Military discount). Though ABS would be nice, I find the brakes to be fine. Coming from years on a Shovel head, the transmission is fine for me too:)

I do LOVE this bike!

It seems that there may be some differences with the audio system too as part numbers change for some of the accessories based on year.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
other than the 2011 trans upgrade i wouldn't say there's anything earth shattering in improvements.

I'd like the 5k oil changes but it'll take a long time to make up the difference of 4300 in oil change savings.

ABS is nice but will it save you from a crash? Maybe.

The upside is I do believe(not 100%) that you still get the 5 year warranty deal with 'leftovers'. That in itself and 4300 to boot I'd probably snag the 09.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for replies. We have decided to leave Saturday on our wing for a short vacation. Was afraid way things were going we would pick up Vision Saturday morning ride 60 miles home and leave on 2000 mi trip. Although that sounds like fun I'd like a chance to know a bike just a little.
Looking forward to more comments, Wingfarmer

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think there are a few minor differences not already mentioned like power outlets changed from powerlet type to standard cigarette lighter type and maybe a few quality fix ups but one more important one not mentioned is the 2011 has stage 1 exhaust fitted as standard because the quieter transmission allowed for a more sporty engine note.
As for the price difference you rarely get a bargain out of dealers either buying or trading I always feel they get the better of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think the minor(IMO) differences in the two bikes would make the new one that much nicer. I love my '09, and after putting on 7K miles since the first of June, I can say with much love that this is the best bike I've ever ridden! As for the oil change issue, I changed over to Amsoil and am planning on 5K intervals between oil changes. That brand new '11 will only be new for a little while anyway!! Either choice will be a very solid one for ya!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I have an '08 and I'm not gonna be getting any inferiority complexes when I pull up next to an '11. Think about this: Just imagine how many upgrades you can do for $4,300......that could be some serious bling.

·
Registered
94 Posts
By your description you are no stranger to saddle time. That said the Goldwing and Vision are 2 different bikes altogether. The Wing is smoother, has more amenities,and more power than the Victory, however I found it does not have the character of feel and sound from the V twin on the Victory. The Wing feels to sit a little lower I guess due to the seat being more tapered towards the front of the seat. I purchased my 2010 Vision Premium this past April and turned 11,000 miles on it yesterday. It has been a teriffic bike, and I have owned about all types of bikes over the years. Plusses of the Vision over the wing include S P A C E. On the Wing I felt 'cramped', like Idid on the Harley Ultra. The Vision has more room than anything else I have ever ridden. The floorboards are also a big improvement over the leg-locked position on the Wing with their footpegs. Due to the horizontal 6 cylinder on the Wing that is the only choice other than highway pegs. ThisI found uncomfortable due to the angle I had to splay my legs to get around the engine.The narrow engine on the Victory allow the largest floorboards for unlimited leg movement. On the Victory there is also a LOT more roomin front of you with the windshield placement andhandlebar placement. Again, I don't feel cramped on the Vision. Mine has been troublefree and other than oil changes has needed nothing.Between the 2 of them theWing feels more 'polished', but I prefer the Vision. There is also a lot to be said about being an'individual' and riding something that is as eyecatching as the Vision. There is no other bike that looks like the Vision, and from mystandpoint if I had to replace my bike, Iwould not be able to find a suitable replacement other than another Vision. Everythingelse would be going backwards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ditto Phoenix9. Take the diff and put it in goodies. The new tranny is great but not $4300 worth. Last night a man at Wal-Mart pulled up and asked " Excuse me, Where did that bike come from? I am 50 years old and I gotta tell ya, that's the most beautiful bike I ever seen in my life. I was stopping people I don't even know to have them take a look at it." I never got that with my Harleys or Goldwing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Do the 09, take the free extended warranty and spend the difference to upgrade (or for fuel and just ride! VICTORY > > > FUEL IT!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got my new 2009 Ness Vision a couple weeks ago and all I can say is I LOVE IT! It's getting it's stage 1 upgrade now. I hope to have it back tomarrow. I've had to wait over a week for the parts to come in. I want my bike back so bad!!! I decided to get the Big Honkers with the Twin Suckers, the Big Shot tuner, and the Fluted Exhaust tips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to the Vision world, I just purchased a new 08 Vision Premium, got the 5 yr. warranty and ordered the trunk at dealer cost. All together it came in under 20k, tax and fees included. I love the styling and riding experience. I stopped at a local burger joint and recieved numerious comments on how much they liked the look and style of the Vision ,even had a couple have their friend take a picture of them next to the bike. I'm looking forward to a longer ride this week to Calif., bay area. I too could've boughtan 11 model, but the price differenceandside by side non difference made mychoice an easy one.

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
Don't forget about the new "Neutral Finder".
Handlebars are different.
HID headlight is standard (or was it standard in 09 too?)

Don't discount ABS so easily.
The Insurance Institute wants ABS on all street legal motorcycles by 2014.
Why?
22% less accidents.
38% less fatalities.

You will pay less for insurance if you have it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.