Looking to buy a Vision - looking for some inside help | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Looking to buy a Vision - looking for some inside help

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by RKnock, May 27, 2019.

1. RKnock

RKnock New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    H-D Ultra Ltd
    Hi,
    New member, Long time rider.
    I have owned quite a few touring bikes, but never owned a Victory yet.
    I am looking forward to purchasing a ‘10 to ‘14 and hoping for some insight as to what to look for relative to any nagging issues inherent to these machines (if any) ie; buttons that stick, having to take half the bike apart to get to the air filter, excessive tire cupping, etc. (the above is a short list of nagging bugaboos found on 1800 Goldwings.)
    Thanks in advance for your help!!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Not much to say about a Vision. They're great bikes!

Look at the front fender and make sure it has the "fix" for the rear portion of the front fender. It will have a bolt like this.
    20181003_014757.jpg

Other than that the buttons should all be fine.

Ask the owner if has a tuner, front filter, top filter, or timing wheel.

The front filter is here.
    20190527_224659.jpg

The top filter goes under this plate and is an accessory. It is not necessary but gives a good boost. You will want a tuner if the bike doesn't have one and you add it.
    20190527_224718.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Go with a 2012 or later model year. Diff trans gears and a 5k oil change interval vs 2500 for the old style.

Make sure you have plenty of $$ leftover for the GTO items you will need.

4. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Most of all prepare yourself for the fact that once you own a vision it will likely be your last bike. You will not want to ride anything else. Nor will you care to.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Most of all prepare yourself for the fact that once you own a vision it will likely be your last bike. You will not want to ride anything else. Nor will you care to.

6. 98741

98741 Guest

Changing a front filter on a Vision is cake. Even the Top filter if you add it takes me not more than 15 minutes. Tire cupping is not an issue as long as keep the correct tire pressure. I helped a friend change a GL1800 air filter, I wanted to slap myself.
    Cupping is also an indicator all you do is ride straight. use the whole tire lean once in a while for heavens sake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kwivrme

kwivrme Active Member

2011 Victory Vision Tour, 2014 Ducati Diavel
    Be prepared to answer quite often at every fuel stop or for the matter at anytime the Questions from people asking what Bike is That? Who makes it? Or giving Thanks for the many Compliments that are given to you for having such a unusual machine. Smile a lot and say Thank You. We are a rare breed and We hope your decision will be made to join the Pilots of the Vision Squadron...

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RKnock

RKnock New Member

H-D Ultra Ltd

9. RKnock

RKnock New Member

H-D Ultra Ltd
    Thanks to all.
    You guys really believe in your brand. That says a lot about the brand to me.
    The main reason for asking about issues in the first place was after owning a few goldwings, and they ARE good bikes, they really had a lot of frustrating bugaboos that Honda never fixed along the way until 2018. And as one of my NEW friends just replied on this thread, they just wanted to SLAP themselves when helping their friend change an air filter on an 1800.

Thanks again to all - very helpful!!

10. corvelle

corvelle Well-Known Member

c tc kp
    I would also like to add that Visions are amazing machines. I have several bikes and the only one I ride now is a stock vision.

11. ByteN2it

ByteN2it Well-Known Member

'99 V92C & '09 Vision
    My '09 Vision Tour Premium was purchased as a leftover in 2010 ($16,500 on the price tag) The only issues I've had is the radio went south & cyclops bulb socket fell out into the housing, both were replaced under warranty in the 1st month, now over 65,000 trouble free miles. Replacing headlight bulbs is the worst-I went to all HID over 5 years & a lot of miles back & haven't had to mess with them since + it's a great lighting upgrade for less than $100 that continues to pay dividends. Most comfortable tourer ever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. 98741

98741 Guest

How true your post is. I have almost traded in my Vision several times. I always end up asking my self? Is the bike I looking at better? Almost every time no. One came close and that was the BMW K1600B.

13. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    The Vision and the cross bikes are that good. Can’t believe to this day that Scott Wino and Steve the minute man were that blind. All they had to do was read the Vog for the last 9 years and they would have figured out that Victory with some real marketing and a real dealer network would have made it.

I truly believe that the different and modern styling of Victory just wasn’t for everyone no matter how good all around the bikes are. That many passed on a Victory only dealership for fear of the sheep wanting a more like Harley / Indian American bike. I don’t get it. We have accepted and embraced modern American cars. Even European and Japanese / Korean cars in modern fashion. Superb power and handling as well as reliability. All these things Victory were known for. The owners ( so many ) that are holding on to them is testament to the true value Victory still is.

My buddy is sales manager at a HD dealership. Reaches out to me and says. “When you gonna get ride of that / those Victory’s and get on a Harley. “

Me: “ I can always get on a Harley brother but I’m riding a legend now “.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. rczapla

rczapla New Member

2014 Victory Vision
    I have owned my Vision for just over 2 years (Bought a NEW 2014 that was just sitting on the dealers floor when Polaris decided to stop making Vics and the dealer was pissed and wanted everything Vic off his show room floor). Let's just say I got a good deal on all things Vic. I still own a 1985 GW LTD too and that bike is reliable and still fun to ride but the Vision is just a wonderful machine and better to cruise in comfort for me all day long than the GW. The Vision is super comfortable (for me more than the GW for my wife, she prefers the GW slightly over the Vision for comfort). I can move around on it easily. I'm tall with a healthy "dad bod" and the Vision just fits me perfectly. The V-Twin runs great and is MUCH smoother than any big HD shaker machine I've ridden. The bike looks cool as hell too. Many compliments and questions about the bike. The big bike handles extremely well too once your comfortable with it. It's my favorite bike so far. (My 7th but 1st US made bike). I am in the process of replacing a clutch on the Vic but I attribute the early clutch cooking due to taking several ARC classes on the bike. The Vic is FUN to ride in those classes and thus the clutch beat down just happens. I would gratefully accept the cost of a clutch for the riding experiences and confidence building of the ARC. Great machine. You should get one.

• Like Like x 3
  15. TommyGunn

TommyGunn Active Member

Vision
    I bought my Vision 16 months and 13k miles ago. I own seven different bikes and the Vision is the favorite. Super simple regular maintenance and will hang with weekend warrior sportbike riders. I have ridden a GL 1800 and would take the Vision.
    Buy one with the most options that you think you might want as factory accessories are expensive if you can find them.

• Like Like x 1