VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much overstayed my welcome crashing on the couch at the ex's. Trying to figure out a good place to go. Need to be within a couple hours of an airport for work and looking for some place to rent for a year or 2 with a garage. Would like less than $1k rent and somewhat decent weather (little snow, little humidity). Curious if anybody has any good ideas or suggestions, or better yet knows of a nice little house that needs a good tenant. I can go anywhere but want to find something before winter sets in. Interested also in riding with fellow Viccers, or anybody on 2 wheels. And sorry @mobear66, I don't think I want to live in Vegas. Also, I am quite uninterested in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
The Hill country area in Texas has very little snow and the humidity is usually low. But you will want to love it hot. Houston has two airports, but the one in the north is probably better. Rentals to be found all around it. No snow, but plenty humid.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Gainesville FL has a small airport & riding all year round & outrageously hot college women from around the world.
Summers are hot & humid, Kev-X is about 1/2 hour away.
Daytona (more hot women) is 1-1/2 hours to the east, Leesburg to the south has been doing a bike week that gets a pretty big crowd & the Gulf is about 1-1/2 hours to the west, good seafood.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Trout @MagVic CCT Lived in Dallas for a little over a year, my problem with Texas (and Florida) is I like winding, hilly, mountainous roads. And outrageously hot women are great but I'm not even close to outrageously hot enough to get more than a sneer. Spent a week in Tampa this summer, grasshoppers you could make an entire meal of, more mosquitoes than I could ever count (even taking my shoes and shorts off) and humidity levels that would be above 100% if that was even possible.

Rode through some forested area near Houston as well, it was ok but seemed kinda boring. What about cost of living?

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
COL in Texas is low. Hill country is your answer. Lots of twisty , rollercoaster like roads. Big bend and Davis mts not very far. Low humidity. Two great towns. Boerne and Kerrville. River roads and Luchenback. Not the Rockies, but still very technical roads.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
@Trout @MagVic CCT Lived in Dallas for a little over a year, my problem with Texas (and Florida) is I like winding, hilly, mountainous roads. And outrageously hot women are great but I'm not even close to outrageously hot enough to get more than a sneer. Spent a week in Tampa this summer, grasshoppers you could make an entire meal of, more mosquitoes than I could ever count (even taking my shoes and shorts off) and humidity levels that would be above 100% if that was even possible.

Rode through some forested area near Houston as well, it was ok but seemed kinda boring. What about cost of living?
Most of Florida is flat & straight, there are some decent roads North & West of here.
Cost of living is doable but the skeeters have been the worst I've seen for the past 20 years.
Humidity is always high.
Fl is probably not for you.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think I'd mind visiting there on occasion if I end up close enough, but probably don't want to live there.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well you ruled out Illinois already. I live in twisty hilly country. Lots of good riding. Iowa and Wisconsin are bot a couple hours away with more good riding. There are 4 major airports with in 2 hours. I have a 3 bedroom about 1200 SF house in quite little town. Rents for 650 a month. Cost of living isn't to bad. A little over a 100 miles from Chicago

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
@catwrench59 , you're far enough from Chicago that it may not matter, but one thing I might mention is one difference concerning Texas Vs Illinois is that in Texas you get to shoot back.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Illinois you get to shoot first!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
find me a decent place in SoCal for under a grand and I might be interested. Arizona gets damn hot, same with parts of Utah and NM. But all are options for sure. Not sure about SC but western NC, GA and eastern TN are looking promising.

Reactions: CPT PYRO

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you need a house for did you wear out your hammock tent.
Actually, I kinda did, but winter's coming and cold air above and below doesn't sound appealing.

Reactions: lou8700

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Illinois does have concealed carry also. Where I live is in the Illinois river valley. It is so much different from what people believe Illinois is like they can't believe they're in Illinois

·
Registered
963 Posts
Arizona for me. It does get hot here in the valley of the sun, only in the summer and riding season has really just begun here. Although many do ride year round. If your income is not dependent on the locale then look at Tucson.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
As I struggle with where to go because my wife's passing I realize, after living all over this country, it's hard to beat the SW for overall weather, open roads, cheap, all season riding, nice people... I think I'll stay in NM and I would take a serious look here. LC 70 miles S., Alb. 150 N. All open road.

Maybe you should get a toy hauler and rv it. I loved doing that, but settled now, kind of. Good luck and if you're interested in the area give me a pm. You'd live quite well here for well under 1k mo. Within around 500 miles from many cool places. Moab, Grand canyon, Rockies, and elephant butte lake if you're a boater right here. Seems to me a great overall place with options. Good luck.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I love it here in AZ and our mortgage payment is about one months re taxes in illinois.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
You know you could always re-marry the EX and that would buy you a little more time! :pinshake:

If you are considering the south or southeast I'd look into northern Alabama.
The humidity may be on the higher side though, but it's a warm humidity.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.