VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended the Cycle World International show in Novi, Michigan today and got a close-up of the Stratoliner Deluxe. I looked over the Stratoliner Deluxe real well and I can tell you it doesn't hold a candle to the XC. The bike has an overall cheap look to it, the bags don't go well with the rest of the bike, no crash bars, no radio, no guages in the very small fairing, no cruise control, and a very unfinished look to the mechanicals at the lower front of the motor. You have to appreciate how Vic made that lower cover in front of the motor. On the Star you're staring at the horn, numerous ugly wires, the starter motor, etc., all exposed and ugly as hell. The bike is also lacking in chrome and the windshield is a very bad joke. The passenger seat is much too small unless your wife is a size 2 spinner. For $17,500 you can do much better by spending $500 more for the XC. The Strat Deluxe is way overpriced for what you're not getting IMHO.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

As a former owner of a Roadliner/Stratoliner I would agree with your take, but keep in mind the 'Liner series is more in line with the Kingpin (5 year old bike design), not the XC (honestly NOTHING is in the same league with the Cross bikes right now when it comes to technology.....just because you slap a fairing on a bike doesn't put this bike in the XC league. When you compare the refinementof the'Liners to that of the Kpin, you get a different comparison.....anddisagree if you wish, but the 'Liners hold up pretty well in that comparison.
Also, that $17.5K price tag is insanely misleading. While XC's will be going for full list for most of this year (and rightfully so) I would venture to guess that one could pick up a Strat Deluxe in the $14k range(or lower)by June or July. My reason for that comment is that you can pick up a $15.5K Stratoliner Sfor $11K all day long....and no fairing can make that much difference.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I never really looked at the Strat, but I can give a +1 to Mark's comment. The Japanese retail is just a number that they never sell for. I purchased a 13,000 B-King for under 8k, a 9k C-50T for right at 7k. Even the Fury I just bought was 500 under retail out the door.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys bring up some good points. I'm sure these inflated list prices drive off a lot of potential customers. I sat on a Honda something or other, commuter looking bike and almost fell off the bike when I looked a the $15,500 price tag!! I didn't mean to be so hard on the Strat as I've always been a fan of this bike but I was truly disappointed with what they have done. There is just so much more potential to this bike if done right as the motor is a work of art and a real powerhouse. They had one converted to a single seater with chrome and lights everywhere and it was gorgeous but carried a 28k pricetag!! I looked at the Venture, a real dinosaur with cassette tape and carbs, and wondered why Star isn't putting some R&D into modernizing their touring bikes? The Strat done right would make a great tourer.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I loved the yamaha Venture's with a classic looking dash, same reason I like the Voyager but I haven't seen a stratoliner in person yet.

Anyhow every brand has it's fan boy base that will continue to look at the same brand under most circumstances.

Prices are misleading but on the latest and greatest they're not always negotiable unless you're a repeat customer to the same dealer and they know you well.

The biggest things manufacturers strive for is standing out and trying to draw people in from other brands. Victory has done this pretty well with the Vision which NO ONE can mistake for another bike.

The Cross Country will blend a bit better but still stand out.

I can hardly wait for the Chicago show, but will be disappointed without a Victory showing.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I've only looked at pictures of the Stratoliner Deluxe. The motor is awesome! However, I questioned (remember - just from looking @ the pictures) fairing - it's quality & effectiveness. Glad to read a post from someone who's actually looked @ it. Your observations confirm my suspicions.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ddawg said:
I've only looked at pictures of the Stratoliner Deluxe. The motor is awesome! However, I questioned (remember - just from looking @ the pictures) fairing - it's quality & effectiveness. Glad to read a post from someone who's actually looked @ it. Your observations confirm my suspicions.
That fairing and w/shield would be about as effective as a pimple on a bulls ass. About the only use for the fairing is to hold the 2 speakers and your ipod in a little pocket with strap to hold it and it might keep some wind off of your hands.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
bikendad said:
ddawg said:
That fairing and w/shield would be about as effective as a pimple on a bulls ass. About the only use for the fairing is to hold the 2 speakers and your ipod in a little pocket with strap to hold it and it might keep some wind off of your hands.
LOL!!!!! Thx!!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Let me follow up with a couple opinions on the Star Roadliner/Stratoliners: Up until the Cross bikes came out this has been THE premier "megacruiser" bike on the market, winning just about every single big bike shootout done since 2006. Why? well, for a couple reasons:
-A motor that kicked the crap out of everything....including out-pulling the venerable Suzuki 109 motor at the top end.
-VERY high quality fit and finish with a VERY high end dash readout.
-Great handling bike for it's size with great road manners.
-A quality stock seat that is relatively comfortable.
What the bike was always dinged on was the "love-it or hate-it" styling and over exposed wiring...and that horn.
Now, from riding the bike for a couple years myselfhere is what I saw from the bike: Althouh the motor was a real stump-puller, I quite honestly did not like it that much. To get the sound and "style" they were after they built a pushrod motor.....IMHO that was a mistake.... a big mistake.when you got the motor up to 3500 RPM or higher the thing vibrated as bad or worse than any H-D....throw in the lack of an overdrive gear and the problem was magnified even more.I would take Victory's 106 motor (even w/o the 6th gear) any day of the week over the 113 in the Star. Also, the Handle bars were a damn joke. I am 6'0" with a pretty good reach and the bars killed me everytime I rode more than 150 miles because they are so low and wide....with little to no way to modify them.
When you compare the "street value" of one of these bikes to the competition it is an incredible value and high quality, but as I said, fell behind as soon as the Cross bikes came out....regardless of price. I think the Fairing is a quick-fix to try and offer something new, but does little to compensate against the XC. Victory has a true winner on their hands with the new technology they are throwing out onto the "cruiser market" and IMHO I think they will cause a lot of companies to start looking to update their bikes....but the economy is the great wall out their standing in everyone's way.
Should be interesting.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
dsjr70 said:
phoenix9 said:
-A motor that kicked the crap out of everything....including out-pulling the venerable Suzuki 109 motor at the top end.
Top end yes, but the M109 still woops up on it through the 1/4 :)
Anything that canrun with that 109 motor is impressive. If they had just gone with an OHC design instead of pushrods I might still own it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The Strats are very nice bikes. They are well made blah blah blah.

I was seriously looking at them as a new model when I found my KP in Nov of 05. No Strats available at that time. Buying my Vic was an impulse buy. HAD TO HAVE IT!

I don't regret not waiting for the Strats to come out at all. Nice bikes , They decent looking.

I still think the Vics are more unique and stylish.

Have a lot of Star Rider friends and have heard nothing good about any of the local shops for service. (I can count 5 without even thinking of Yami/Star dealers)And we thought we had it bad!

My first bike was a V-Star 650 and have nothing bad to say about it. In fact I think it is a FANTASTIC beginner bike. I bought it as such. I was either gonna move up to a larger bike in a year or give up riding. WELLLLL......ya'll know the rest of the story!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
phoenix9 said:
dsjr70 said:
phoenix9 said:
Top end yes, but the M109 still woops up on it through the 1/4 :)
Anything that canrun with that 109 motor is impressive. If they had just gone with an OHC design instead of pushrods I might still own it.
Now if the 109 had a chain drive that would be sweet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.