VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a 3 week trip on my 2013 Highball in July and going through all the prep, just wondering what you would suggest are the musts to have packed away.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You’re gonna get more suggestions than your bags can hold.
I go fast & light- a phone/camera & plenty of cash/credit. You can get anything you need along the way.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Spare key on a chain around your neck.
A lost key can ruin a trip.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Little more info, you camping or moteling ?

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Stop and Go tire repair kit with cartridges. But if tube tires don't bother. A save-ur-ride clutch cable. a few simple tools. Spare key hidden on bike somewhere. Rain suit, tire gauge, small pair of motorcycle jumper cables.

The more stuff you carry the better the chance you'll never need it. More than likely someone else will though.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Garbage bags!
Various sizes... believe me you'll find uses for 'em.
You'll MacGyver: gloves, rainsuits, headgear, socks,....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey! Your going to overpack on cloths, buy something that is easy to wash and dry over night. Tools, oil, sunblock to get you started, monkey butt, emergency water, shorts and Sandles for when you get off for the day, tire kit, tire gauge and use it due to change in pressure... finally, take tons of pictures with your phone and daily videos of like a personal blog of your trip... I did a big trip last year and still look at them all the time plus to show friends what life really looks like...

Have a great time and spark up conversations with everyone...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Good stuff above, I would have some tools, a good flashlight, a towel, and a deck of cards.
Sorry mom,........ but take your old underwear,........ toss instead of wash.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Buy brand new socks for the trip.
I get mine at the dollar store so they are essentially disposable.
I wear a fresh new pair every day, and since they're ankle socks they don't take up much room.

Going commando to save space.
Walmart is always there if you change your mind.

one Gal Zip lock freezer bags for the clothing...sit on them to compress and zip them up.
Rubber bands.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great advice above with the socks and old underwear. Socks take a wile to dry so just going to a Walmart and grabbing a super pack is the way to go. Not sure where you are riding but bring layers and plan to face temps 50-110 then rain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, thanks so much for all the suggestions. I just mapped the trip, up the west coast from Phoenix to Vancouver Island, across the Canadian Rockies, down through Yellowstone, Denver and make my way back to Atlanta, three weeks, 5400 miles. Trip of a lifetime all done solo :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I’m getting ready to haul @$$ to El Paso next month on my Gunner,... how are you caring all of your stuff??

I’m looking at buying a sissy bar and using an old assault pack or Alice pack and bungee cords to keep it in place. Not sure if I should splurge on a lindby or similar to stretch out. Probally will just so I can stick another tool roll on the bike.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have custom leather bags and bought an osprey pack.. filled that up then ratchet it down with some webbing... seems to do the trick.. I still over packed for the trip... but lessons learned..

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I'm getting ready to haul @$$ to El Paso next month on my Gunner,... how are you caring all of your stuff??

I'm looking at buying a sissy bar and using an old assault pack or Alice pack and bungee cords to keep it in place. Not sure if I should splurge on a lindby or similar to stretch out. Probally will just so I can stick another tool roll on the bike.
When, and for how long are you going to be in El Paso? I'm going to be up the road in Truth or Consequences right after a week from next monday.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.