VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

DISCLAIMER:

I spent a lot of time deciding between the VFCIII and the PWC5 for my Xbike. I know the PWC5 can take away fuel and can offer more adjustments ect, ect....This is not a dig on the PWC5's, I know they are great products. However, I have used the Techlusion/Dobeck FI tuner boxes in the past and found them to be very simple and very effective for nice dyno proven and road power gains. I also, like the fact that Lloyd is an email or phone call away and we all know the type of service that he provides. Thus, the VFCIII for me and its on its way.

THE REASON FOR THIS THREAD IS TO OFFER ADDITIONAL TUNING SUPPORT FOR THOSE WITH THE VFCIII:

I know not all 106ci Xbikes will need to be tuned the exact same way, even with the same setups... Differences in factory tolerances and individual owners geographical elevations and climate are also factors. With all that taken into consideration. I thought it might be helpful for those of us with this tuner to shareour specific setup (exhaust, filter, cams, ect), specific elevation, and then your specific VFCIII tuner settings and how it is running for us.

THE WAY I TUNE:

As soon as the weather breaks, I plan to get on the dyno (wanna do an air box test) and then start my road tuning. I road tune with a portable Innovate LM1 Wideband AFR sniffer that data logs my specific AFR's while riding. Over the years, I found better actual road performance (over my dyno tuning) by using this method. The Techlusion/Dobeck's (Now Lloydz) make for very simple roadside adjustability when road sniffing and doing road tests against other bikes. A good tune job might put you near a specific AFR.. Say 13.5% with no ride-ability issues.. But a GREAT TUNE job.. Is figuring out (on the road against other bikes. On a closed course O course!) the best AFR for the best power delivery at a specific rpms with no ride ability issues... Fun stuff!! I was surprised to discover that some of my previous bikes actually made there best top power in he low 12's AFR. I am new to the Victory's so I don't know much about them yet..Though, most of my Japanese bikes liked to be a in the 13's AFR till max torque was achieved and then liked to be fatter on top. Looking forward to finding out.

My current setup is the 2.25 Atom Bombs, the Victory high flow air filter, stock cams, and I live around 900 elevation.
I emailed Lloyd and asked him where he thinks I should start with these factors. I will share his recommended starting point settings with you all as soon as he gets back to me and any changes I make in the future.

WW

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ok future Xbike VFCIII tuners...
I haven't had a chance to sniff my bike yet but I did tune my bike according to the
old school method Lloydz describes (hear and feel)in his VFCIII FAQ.It should be
noted thatIalready reduced a couple fuel settings after noticing that my bike was running a bit rich (slow responding throttle and the start of too much black carbon collecting on my tail pipes).
This is how I am running mine setup right now at/near 900 above sea level. FYI, my setup consists of the 2.25 Inch Atom Bombs, the Victory high flow air filter, standard factoryECU Flashand the VFCIII tuner. No pops or obvious ride-ability problems and nice power bottomto top.
(Green) pot: 3
(Yellow) pot: 3.5
(Red) pot: 1
(Green/Blue) pot: 0
(Yellow/Blue) pot: 3.5
(Red/Blue) pot: 4
I am hoping to get a chance to road sniff/data log my AFR's. I hope to do this before I have the Lloydz cams installed in mid April.
Webby

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

(Update),

Today I setup my Innovate LM1 AFR Wide band sniffer on my XC. I decided to velcro strap it to my left side passenger floorboard. I can easily reach down and hit record button on it when data logging on the road. I used the 12v dash plug and routed the power wire down and around to the unit. I installed the wide band 02 in the rear cylinder bung. I will post a few pictures.

I had previously started my tune settings based on what Lloydz posted FAQ for tune settings for the 106ci Vision. Just by ear tuning, I noticed that those settings were too rich for a Xbike and dialed it back a bit. I didn't realize how rich it really was until setting up my LM1 today. I think his posted settings maybe a lot different for previous model Vision's because (from what I have read) his first VFCIII boxes for the Vision's still utilized the 02 sensors.

What I noticed with my posted above VFCIII settings is that the idle jet/pot (green) was set way TOO rich. At the 3 setting my bike was idling fine but in the mid 11's and low 12's. I adjusted this setting to 1. This resulted in a idle AFR in the mid 13's.

It is raining today so no road tuning/data logging. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice.. So I will do it then. More to come.

WW

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

(Tuned Very Well Update),

Today, I got a chance to do multiple tuning data logging road AFR sniffing runs on my XC. Basically these runs were 3rd gear pulls from 2k to redline. Similar, to how I would dyno tune. Actually, I did 30 in all. Tried all sorts of levels of fuel delivery and got a chance to do multiple performance road tests against my good buddy Marc's 2005 FJR1300. My best tune configuration setting is at or near 900 ft elevation. As a reminder.. I have the 2.25 Atom Bombs with non restrictive tail pipes. The latest Lloydz VFCIII that requires you to disconnect the 02 sensors completely (nothing plugs into them from the VFCIII). Also, I have the Victory high flow oil element air filter (re-stamped KnN). I also removed the weather strip (intake noise reducer) from the silencer on my air box (see my other thread here regarding this air intake restriction). These settings resulted in the best performance at or around the high 12's at WOT. No stuttering, no flat spots, no popping and a very responsive and crisp throttle. I will also post a couple pics of my best AFR graph data.

(Green) Pilot/pot: 1
(Yellow) Accel Pump/pot: 3.5
(Red) Main Jet/pot: 0
(Green/Blue) pot: 0
(Yellow/Blue) pot: 3.5
(Red/Blue) pot: 4

Wicked Webby

·
Registered
3,513 Posts

My suspicions about the settings were correct, according to what you got. I always thought the green setting was too rich, I had mine on 2 from 3.5 and had red on 1 the others the same. This is one of the better write ups thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.