VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

New proud owner of a 2011 vegas. I have been obsessing over this forum and have found tons of great threads and helpful info. Thanks for all your input and time.

My first addition was the timing wheel by lloydz. Next will be torque tubes and pcv. After that will be replace my x-bow and after that vm-1 cams. Then lastly a dyno. And somewhere in the mix add an underdrive pulley.

Anyways back to the topic. I installed the timing wheel starting with +6. After riding it for a couple miles, it felt worst off. I was getting a really clunky start if I was just rolling in 1st no throttle. When i turned the throttle i was getting a choppy start and would have to pull the clutch. I thought I installed it wrong. So i pulled off my cover expecting to be at -6 and realized that wasnt the case. I reduced it to +4 and tried it again. This time it felt much better. I was able to roll on the throttle from 1st no throttle clutch all the way out.

Has anyone else experienced this? Too much advance being a poor ride? I only ask because I didnt have any pinging and would like to get the most out of my addition. I guess I am curious if maybe I have an issue with my throttle and can actually go back up to +6 and have a smooth ride.

Btw I will be putting on the 1/4 throttle ring from lloydz this saturday.

Thanks for any input

·
Super Moderator
26,154 Posts
It can happen. Most stay between 3 and 6 it seems. The one on my 13 is at +4 which many Visions don't like for whatever reason. Mine runs fine. I say this to show that each bike really is different and just because one guy has it at +6 does not mean it will work for you even with the same model bike.

+4 is probably the most common setting.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
More timing advance is not necessarily better. The recommended setting is +4.
Make sure you are advancing not retarding the timing too.

This will not apply to you... but I put a timing wheel on and set it at -2 and the bike picked up 4 HP... and now it will run just fine on pump gas without pinging. Point being that too much is bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Just wanted to know if I should target for more timing. It sounds like that's not the case.

What are the indicators to know when to advance or retard? My assumption would be those indicators show when on the dyno.

·
Super Moderator
26,154 Posts
Thanks guys. Just wanted to know if I should target for more timing. It sounds like that's not the case.

What are the indicators to know when to advance or retard? My assumption would be those indicators show when on the dyno.
The main one I know is pinging. Many guys in the hot months can have this. Using premium fuel many times stops it but not always. Again, each bike is different. My 13 at +4 has run on regular, mid, and premium in the hot Texas weather without a single ping.

A ping will sound like a ball bearing bouncing around the inside of the motor... It's not..... Just sounds like that. If it happens most drop by 1 on the wheel and recheck. Then you just repeat of it still happens until you find the right setting for your bike.

Reactions: Vegas11

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I haven't heard anything like that. I'm in texas right now and I'm from california. So as long as moisture In the air doesn't affect pinging I'll be fine. When I go home this weekend I'll put on my throttle ring and take her for a ride. I'll just leave it at +4 until I run into a golf ball in my engine.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Well I haven't heard anything like that. I'm in texas right now and I'm from california. So as long as moisture In the air doesn't affect pinging I'll be fine. When I go home this weekend I'll put on my throttle ring and take her for a ride. I'll just leave it at +4 until I run into a golf ball in my engine.
2 things, are you now running premium fuel as you should be with advanced timing. Second the X-Bow exhaust is known to be very restrictive so that will affect/reduce the amount of timing you can run. I would try it at +3 personally.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
You won’t get that bike to perform any better from +4 to +6. Lloyd’s delivered setting is 4.
My bike is cammed and has Lloyd’s TW as well as his filter. A set of D&D slip ons and PC5. Dyno’ed at 115/115. My timing has to be dropped to +3 and I think I still may be too advance.
I found out with the bike loaded down. Passenger, travel gear, and a hot humid day with heat index we’ll above 105 and humidity at 100%.
If your running fine at 4* advance then leave it alone.
Try getting to 40 mpg in top gear uphill and roll off then roll back on the throttle. If the bike responds with no ping then your pretty safe where your at.
Sounds like you want to get that bike set up for some advanced power. We call it stage 2 when you add cams. Do it all at once then Dyno tune. Stages of parts that should be combined at the same time will only leave you with a lean bike and lack luster performance.

Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
+1 on what slick said. Save your coins and do it all at one time. Find your pipes, while you have the air box out of there, put the cams. Why pay some one to pull it back apart later. Take the timing wheel back off and sell it. Call and get a Maximus tune. There are 2 people here that provide that service. A wise man here once said, read many times, spend once.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 things, are you now running premium fuel as you should be with advanced timing. Second the X-Bow exhaust is known to be very restrictive so that will affect/reduce the amount of timing you can run. I would try it at +3 personally.
I bought it with the x bow and the baffles are out. Dont know if that adds flow or if it takes away from performance. Either way I gave in and purchased some hacker rippers. So as long as I'm ping free I'll leave as is

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You won't get that bike to perform any better from +4 to +6. Lloyd's delivered setting is 4.
My bike is cammed and has Lloyd's TW as well as his filter. A set of D&D slip ons and PC5. Dyno'ed at 115/115. My timing has to be dropped to +3 and I think I still may be too advance.
I found out with the bike loaded down. Passenger, travel gear, and a hot humid day with heat index we'll above 105 and humidity at 100%.
Try getting to 40 mpg in top gear uphill and roll off then roll back on the throttle. If the bike responds with no ping then your pretty safe where your at.
Sounds like you want to get that bike set up for some advanced power. We call it stage 2 when you add cams. Do it all at once then Dyno tune. Stages of parts that should be combined at the same time will only leave you with a lean bike and lack luster performance.
I've got some rippers on the way so it will be piecemeal. With the tubes, exhaust and pcv, I should be fine with one of the vicshop maps. The bike is powerful enough as is so I want to hold out for something later. I'll take my time rounding the bases so to speak. I know how easy I get used to power. So leaving the cams and the dyno till the end will work for me as I like doing my own work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I started reading and I'm thinking I may just return my pcv for the maximus. I appreciate the help

You won't get that bike to perform any better from +4 to +6. Lloyd's delivered setting is 4.
My bike is cammed and has Lloyd's TW as well as his filter. A set of D&D slip ons and PC5. Dyno'ed at 115/115. My timing has to be dropped to +3 and I think I still may be too advance.
I found out with the bike loaded down. Passenger, travel gear, and a hot humid day with heat index we'll above 105 and humidity at 100%.

·
Super Moderator
26,154 Posts
I started reading and I'm thinking I may just return my pcv for the maximus. I appreciate the help
If you do you can return the timing wheel too. The Maximus can take care of what it does.

For a great guy to do the remote tune hit up @NOEMTZ . I go to him for serious stuff.

For the not so serious I go to......
Shoe Shorts Leg Automotive tire Knee

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
:clap:You get a winner and a funny face. Unfortunately I can’t pick both but I just did. :dance::lol:

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Lloyd's timing wheel. Using my "ass dyno" I started at 6, worked back to 2 and moved ahead from there. I ended up at 4. Bike works awesome except it seems to really not like high octane fuel (92 and up)

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you retard the timing the engine will 1, perform poorly, and 2, get hot. Pipes will blue and you will damage the head and possibly pistons from the heat. I wouldn’t go into a negative number. I would never go past the zero setting, which would be the same as the stock timing wheel position.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you retard the timing the engine will 1, perform poorly, and 2, get hot. Pipes will blue and you will damage the head and possibly pistons from the heat. I wouldn't go into a negative number. I would never go past the zero setting, which would be the same as the stock timing wheel position.
You gotta be @Half_Crazy to run -2 degrees. :wink:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, I don’t know how much advance the flash gives, or at what rpms, but if it’s a couple of degrees, and you put on lloyd’s You could end up way too far advanced. In that case, you might end up close to zero to get it to run right., depending on the bike. As mentalguru says, “ya gotta be @half crazy to run -2 degrees”

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.