VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. Has anyone here been successfully at advancing their timing to +5 or higher with 0 pinging? Let's assume my PCV tables for timing are at 0 for this question. I tried my bike at +5 when it was autotuned and it would ping. Now that i got a proper tune from Kevin X I'm wondering if the bike would handle the extra degree.

2015 XC Tour
Lloydz Lsc cams, filter and timing wheel
Pcv
Ragin Cajun medium low throaties

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Each bike is different. Some people have stated they couldn't go above +2, while others have been +6 or higher. Have even seen some that went with a -#. just have to find the right spot for yours.

Reactions: Teflon Mike

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yes, timing wheels on 3 different victorys set up to +6 with no ping, though backed down to +4 since I could not feel a seat of the pants performance difference and +6 seemed to give some unwanted buzzing. Could be in my head though.

But kevin most likely tuned the bike to near perfection. But I'd say that if you just want to cure your curiousity, it's easy enough to try +5 and reset it to +4 if you don't like the results.

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
I would think the question has a simple, fast answer....call KEVINX...best between 9-9:30am...After-all, HE did dyno and knows whats best for your motor.:icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
31 Posts
You paid good money to a professional to tune your bike. I've worked with Kevin and he knows his stuff. Trust and believe he's done you right. Messing with it may cause more problems than it solves

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I had +6 but felt a lot of vibration in the floor boards so backed it to 5 and felt good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
KEVINX set mine at +5 this last Arizona trip then tuned it, it runs like a new bike. Maybe there’s a reason he didn’t bump it up, like mentioned earlier call him.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My opinion is if KevinX tuned your bike and your happy with the way it runs leave well enough alone...

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Mine is at +6 and no issues. I would have to agree with what the others have said. You had one of the best tune your bike. I would stick with where he set it at or call him if you are having issues.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I agree with the others. Sure there’s nothing wrong with having tome fun fiddling with it, go ahead and try more, see what happens, and then most likely put it back where it is now. But you’ll never know till you try...
I would add that this isn’t a constant equation. It’s not like say for every degree advanced you gain two horsepower and therefore want to add as much as possible without ping. You’re trying to get the spark plug to spark at exactly the right moment to take advantage of your air fuel mixture. One degree before that, or one degree after that reduces performance.

Reactions: NSANE530

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sorry gents....i can't leave anything alone. Once i have a doubt i need an answer . I'm going to try +5. If it pings I'll go back to +4. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Reactions: NSANE530

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I'm sorry gents....i can't leave anything alone. Once i have a doubt i need an answer . I'm going to try +5. If it pings I'll go back to +4. I really appreciate everyone's input.
Don't forget that once our temps increase, it could ping as well. So what works now in 80*, may not be fine at 95*.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.