VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed either the HOH504 or HOH506 cams in their XCountry? if so how much power difference did you notice and how much did it affect your fuel mileage.?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
About half the people here have cams. As a general rule, you can expect about 115HP and 116torq, + or -. Mileage is dependent on your wrist.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I have HOH-504 cams. You get slightly higher peak numbers with these, but it shifts the power and higher in the RPM range. They require modified carriers and rockers which increase the price. It also requires a higher red line to see the increase over the other cams. I’m not sure the additional cost is really worth the 4-5 hp and torque you gain using them. If I had it to do over, I would probably look at either the VM-1 drop in, or the LSC.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
You don't want 506 cams unless you will have the heads off and get some higher compression. They require valve springs/retainers/keepers and are more for big bore and high compression applications.

For best overall average torque the 505s are the ticket. They are drop-in cams.

The 501s are also drop-in cams, usually yield in the 115/115 range for output, and make power out to almost 6000 rpm. Slightly stronger at the top of the tach than the 505s, but the torque curve will be moved up the tach a few hundred rpm.

The 504s require carrier and rocker clearancing and make closer to 120 HP, but sacrifice some low end torque for it. 6000 rpm and beyond.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
With all respect..............please read above.
Vm1 DR cams would be my choice.
Oh looky there ....... they were my choice.

Reactions: broggyr and Txtinez

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
This is from @crosscountryla thread

http://www.thevog.net/threads/lloyds-three-cam-dynograph-comparison.105889/#post-2047817

"OK, so here it is... The much anticipated dynograph comparison ofLLOYDZ Motor Workz LSC (blue) VM1-DR (black) and HPT (red) cams
The bikes represented here are all 106" Victory Cross Country models, with LLOYDZ timing gear @+6, LLOYDZ high flow intake, Vance and Hines exhaust, PCV, and DYNO
(we have not yet compiled data using 3 of the same steel frame models with the same components)"

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
This is from @crosscountryla thread

http://www.thevog.net/threads/lloyds-three-cam-dynograph-comparison.105889/#post-2047817

"OK, so here it is... The much anticipated dynograph comparison ofLLOYDZ Motor Workz LSC (blue) VM1-DR (black) and HPT (red) cams
The bikes represented here are all 106" Victory Cross Country models, with LLOYDZ timing gear @+6, LLOYDZ high flow intake, Vance and Hines exhaust, PCV, and DYNO
(we have not yet compiled data using 3 of the same steel frame models with the same components)"

Bottom line is that they are all close enough that your butt dyno is not going to distinguish the difference, at least not above 2500 RPMs anyway.

Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Bottom line is that they are all close enough that your butt dyno is not going to distinguish the difference, at least not above 2500 RPMs anyway.
Yup. I ride mine around 2900 rpm, so that's likely where I'll be when I wack the throttle. On the chart there isn't much difference between the 3 at that rpm. I almost NEVER dip below 2500 so results below that are irrelevant.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Yup. I ride mine around 2900 rpm, so that's likely where I'll be when I wack the throttle. On the chart there isn't much difference between the 3 at that rpm. I almost NEVER dip below 2500 so results below that are irrelevant.
Dyno runs are deceiving. That's all full throttle.
So, how often do you actually whack the throttle open at 2000 rpm? How often are you actually wide open on a normal day at all?

Point being, what's the real difference at 2500 rpm and 1/2 throttle? That would be handy to know, huh?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
So, how often do you actually whack the throttle open at 2000 rpm? How often are you actually wide open on a normal day at all?

Point being, what's the real difference at 2500 rpm and 1/2 throttle? That would be handy to know, huh?
At least a couple times on every ride... sometimes a lot more. What's the point in having the power if you don't unleash it?

I agree tho, knowing what it's doing at partial throttle would be good to know.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
3,990 Posts

Yeah, more info is always better. But WOT runs are what people usually post so this is the available info to go off of. Also, my Victory sees wide open throttle almost every time I take it out so it's good info to have. I have a question though. Would it be reasonable to assume that you would have similar results when the three are compared respectively at different throttle positions? In other words, if the three cams were in fact compared at 50% throttle, would there be reason to believe that the hpt cams could outperform the lsc cams at 2500 rpms?

I guess I just assumed that the performance of each cam at wide open throttle would be a good indicator of their performance at different throttle positions as well, when compared side by side and extrapolated from the available wot charts. Could be way wrong though.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
if the three cams were in fact compared at 50% throttle, would there be reason to believe that the hpt cams could outperform the lsc cams at 2500 rpms?
That's a very good question. I would guess the difference would be less. My own bike makes more torque earlier at 60% throttle than full throttle.

my Victory sees wide open throttle almost every time I take it out
I do a lot more 'normal acceleration through the gears' than wide open throttle. I guess what I was thinking is that I'm never 2000 rpm, full throttle, 5th gear. Not something I do, but that's what you're seeing on a dyno.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I have a stock CCT, only with drilled out exhaust and unplugged O2

Then i have the Jack-Hammer with most if the standard bolt-ons and removed speed limiter .... Yes i took it out of the bike , jumped on a ferry posted it in singapore all the way to Lloyds and he send it all the way back .... that bike lifts my feet from the 4" extensions if i W.O.T., and i live in a place that have NO SPEED CAMERAS ... so that happens a lot

AnywaYyyyy get the darn cams already , dropin cams if you are NOT a wrencher,

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
That's a very good question. I would guess the difference would be less. My own bike makes more torque earlier at 60% throttle than full throttle.

I do a lot more 'normal acceleration through the gears' than wide open throttle. I guess what I was thinking is that I'm never 2000 rpm, full throttle, 5th gear. Not something I do, but that's what you're seeing on a dyno.
What are you doing up at that hour ? Hopefully not researching your next plan of attack on edgy.

I would say given a cam choice the VM1 DR would be the most cost affective for ops application of riding.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Is the HOH-VM1-DR the same as HOH-501? When I talked to one of the people at LLoydz they recommended the HOH-501 to me but seemed like they kept calling it VM1 from time to time. Makes me think the cams are the same but they made a p/n switch.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Is the HOH-VM1-DR the same as HOH-501? When I talked to one of the people at LLoydz they recommended the HOH-501 to me but seemed like they kept calling it VM1 from time to time. Makes me think the cams are the same but they made a p/n switch.
Yes. That is correct.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think here is the big take away from using cams and aftermarket Air filter and exhaust...

...depending on the set up, you're only going to see roughly 10-15 hp and around 20 more ft/lbs torque over stock in the operating range...again, this is depending on your set up. What that translates to is faster reaction, quicker response, and the ability to take hills with a load easier. Having cams with the right set up for your personal driving style truly wakes the bike up. Even when cruising at 70 on the highway. I still average over 40 MPG.

I have a 2013 XC with Vance and Hines H/O pipes, VM1 cams and a Lloydz air filter all tuned up with a Techno Research Maximus tuner and a remote tune session from 801 Motorworx.

I have yet to get a Dyno session but the front end pops off the ground if I grab second gear hard enough!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything here. All-around riding you will like the VM1-DR's best, yes it's a HUGE increase in power and your mpg will be about the same if tuned correctly when you quit wacking the throttle every 30 seconds!

·
Registered
865 Posts
when you quit wacking the throttle every 30 seconds!
Ain't that the truth. Last tank run, I really really REALLY tried to just toodle around see what kind of mileage I could actually get. Well, I failed and couldn't do it but still got 40MPG.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.